NBA 2018-2019 | Page 89 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2018-2019

It would be absolutely horrible sportsmanship and completely bushleague, but if a player grabbed his legs and yanked when he did that... it would amuse me.

Kinda waiting for somebody to exaggeratedly avoid contact with him while he’s falling, only to drop an elbow on him once he’s on the ground.

Cartoonish, but so is his whole game. He’s asking for it.

Kinda waiting for somebody to exaggeratedly avoid contact with him while he’s falling, only to drop an elbow on him once he’s on the ground.

Cartoonish, but so is his whole game. He’s asking for it.
I'm envisioning a scene in football movies (Longest Yard/The Replacements) where there's a play that one team uses to just straight up beat the Hell out of the other team. They don't care about the flag, they're just gonna wail.

Maybe at tipoff. This would be hilarious.

I thought this article was gonna be 100% BS, but this excerpt is actually really interesting. Didn’t know this report even existed until now.

Sources: Rockets’ Game 1 ref rage rooted in extensive Warriors research Sources: Rockets’ Game 1 ref rage rooted in extensive...

When that series ended nearly a year ago, the Rockets’ research had just begun. They secured the play-by-play officiating reports from each game from the NBA – a service that is afforded to individual teams (teams aren’t given reports for other teams, which makes it hard to compare). These reports document the league’s verdict on correct calls and missed calls in the same way as the Last Two Minute reports that are shared publicly, with the obvious difference being that it accounts for all 48 minutes of action.

And after the Rockets went through every line, tallying all the missed calls for each team and adding up the potential points that were lost along the way, it wasn’t pretty: The Rockets, according to the sources, had a double-digit point deficit in six of the seven games (and a small edge in Game 2). In all, sources say, they were harmed to the tune of 93 points. Game 7 was the worst, the research showed, with the league-issued report indicating they should have had 18 more points. More specifically, two of the 27 consecutive missed 3-pointers that did them in were ruled to have been missed foul calls.

I thought this article was gonna be 100% BS, but this excerpt is actually really interesting. Didn’t know this report even existed until now.

Sources: Rockets’ Game 1 ref rage rooted in extensive Warriors research Sources: Rockets’ Game 1 ref rage rooted in extensive...
That reads like the tin foil guy who thinks the Patriots get away with penalties from the refs.
The Rockets don’t deserve any breaks because their star gets calls he shouldn’t and when he doesn’t get them they complain.
The flop Harden did in game 4 against Utah should have been a technical foul.
He totally flopped and tried to bait the ref into calling an elbow when it wasn’t even close. Just like the boy who cried wolf if you flop and try to steal calls when you actually get fouled you don’t deserve the break.

Do this you don’t deserve any calls.

That reads like the tin foil guy who thinks the Patriots get away with penalties from the refs.
The Rockets don’t deserve any breaks because their star gets calls he shouldn’t and when he doesn’t get them they complain.
The flop Harden did in game 4 against Utah should have been a technical foul.
He totally flopped and tried to bait the ref into calling an elbow when it wasn’t even close. Just like the boy who cried wolf if you flop and try to steal calls when you actually get fouled you don’t deserve the break.

Do this you don’t deserve any calls.

I'd love to know if the Warriors would agree with the 93 point number. I wonder if the Rockets assume they would make all of their free throws to make the disparity look worse than it really was, but I thought that excerpt was pretty interesting regardless. Also fascinating to see that national media was willing to publish it because it basically says the NBA admits that they played favorites by a significant amount.

this one by Harden is even worse...

even worse? its the same play but a reverse angle. I knew this bs was going to happen..where people would act as if the play is a foul never or every time...in fact, sometimes the GSW players undercut the shooter and there should have been fouls called (broken down well by ESPNs Tim Legler) and other times (like the last shot of the game) the shooter jumped forward into the path of the defender...and no call was correct.

even worse? its the same play but a reverse angle. I knew this bs was going to happen..where people would act as if the play is a foul never or every time...in fact, sometimes the GSW players undercut the shooter and there should have been fouls called (broken down well by ESPNs Tim Legler) and other times (like the last shot of the game) the shooter jumped forward into the path of the defender...and no call was correct.

The point is he does it on every shot. Harden gets more calls than anyone in the league. I don't know in what basketball league the shooter gets the call when he jumps into the defender. This is what Pitt tried to do against Syracuse this year then the coaches called it out and they were called for it.

A couple looked like the defender moved under him. But Harden causes himself problems because he jumps toward the defender, and even "kicks" his feet into him. So the ref has to decide who initiated the contact. No ref likes to get played, and that's just what Harden's trying to do.

GSW need to get their goon in there to take out Harden like he did to Leonard

The point is he does it on every shot. Harden gets more calls than anyone in the league. I don't know in what basketball league the shooter gets the call when he jumps into the defender. This is what Pitt tried to do against Syracuse this year then the coaches called it out and they were called for it.

Playoffs effect. Harden gets away with that crap all year. Along comes the playoffs, and the rules change. Just like the NHL. I don't much like Harden, but if the rules change for the playoffs, then the regular season - when people nightly spend hundreds of dollars to go to games - now all means nothing?

Playoffs effect. Harden gets away with that crap all year. Along comes the playoffs, and the rules change. Just like the NHL. I don't much like Harden, but if the rules change for the playoffs, then the regular season - when people nightly spend hundreds of dollars to go to games - now all means nothing?

Shouldn't have been a foul in the regular season either. He gets more calls than anyone on fouls that aren't fouls.

I'm moving near Houston in a couple months and they will be my local team which I would be inclined to root for but man I hate them and watching them play. Future Mavs fan.

Shouldn't have been a foul in the regular season either. He gets more calls than anyone on fouls that aren't fouls.

The last one was certainly not a foul but he definitely got a raw deal on at least 3 of them yesterday and CP3 at least 1 as well. He's better than everyone else at drawing fouls, but on at least 3 of those 3 pointers he didn't do anything wrong; Klay just slid under him for what should have been easy foul calls.

The last one was certainly not a foul but he definitely got a raw deal on at least 3 of them yesterday and CP3 at least 1 as well. He's better than everyone else at drawing fouls, but on at least 3 of those 3 pointers he didn't do anything wrong; Klay just slid under him for what should have been easy foul calls.

I'll have to check some of those other plays but watching Houston is tough for me. They do this to themselves. Harden has always been a rough watch trying to draw fouls instead of making a basketball play. If we are being honest here Cleveland was much rougher with Curry in some of those finals including the one they beat the Warriors.

The Rockets complaining about every call is definitely the best way for them to get more friendly whistles and in no possible way could backfire on them imho.
Worked for the spurs for about ten years

As someone who equally hates Harden and hates the Warriors, that officiating yesterday was embarrassing for the league. Just give the Warriors the trophy if that’s how we’re doing this.

I'll have to check some of those other plays but watching Houston is tough for me. They do this to themselves. Harden has always been a rough watch trying to draw fouls instead of making a basketball play. If we are being honest here Cleveland was much rougher with Curry in some of those finals including the one they beat the Warriors.

It's no different than the shooters who used to intentionally jump sideways into a nearby defender and then cry for a shooting foul. The question there is "Who initiated the contact?" (Answer: the shooter). The second is "Did anything the defender did cause a disadvantage to the shooter?" (Answer: No). Then it's not a foul on the defender. Another point, a shooter is not entitled to be fouled. Harden is not trying to actually be fouled so much as he is trying to draw foul calls. And there's a difference.

A few of those situations, like I said, were Thompson moving under the shooter. But all of them involved Harden moving toward the defender, and kicking his feet toward him. So that's effectively a 50-50 situation, and they're both taking their chances.

Finally, when you step on the floor, you consent to accept the authority (and the calls) of the officials. There's no game without that. Basketball is a game of adjustments. If the ref is calling something, stop doing it. As the game wore on, Harden refused to adjust to make a point, and so did the refs. If Harden adjusts and shoots to make baskets, Houston might have won that game. But he didn't, so that's on Harden.

Last edited:
It's no different than the shooters who used to intentionally jump sideways into a nearby defender and then cry for a shooting foul. The question there is "Who initiated the contact?" (Answer: the shooter). The second is "Did anything the defender did cause a disadvantage to the shooter?" (Answer: No). Then it's not a foul on the defender. Another point, a shooter is not entitled to be fouled. Harden is not trying to actually be fouled so much as he is trying to draw foul calls. And there's a difference.

A few of those situations, like I said, were Thompson moving under the shooter. But all of them involved Harden moving toward the defender, and kicking his feet toward him. So that's effectively a 50-50 situation, and they're both taking their chances.

Finally, when you step on the floor, you consent to accept the authority (and the calls) of the officials. There's no game without that. Basketball is a game of adjustments. If the ref is calling something, stop doing it. As the game wore on, Harden refused to adjust to make a point, and so did the refs. If Harden adjusts and shoots to make baskets, Houston might have won that game.

Agree with the bolded sentence above. Harden is really talented, but when you are relying on a referee to get you points/bail you out/whatever, it's going to catch up with you. I get that you want fouls called consistently, but things change in the playoffs (like with any sport). Games tend to slow down, adjusted rotations, more minutes for the better players, etc. Did the refs miss some calls? Sure. But if you are hunting foul calls, it's going to catch up with you.

As someone who equally hates Harden and hates the Warriors, that officiating yesterday was embarrassing for the league. Just give the Warriors the trophy if that’s how we’re doing this.

The Rockets crowd Curry and Thompson as well. Do they realize that if that crap is going to get called against GSW that it’s going to get called against them as well...

Underrated part of the story: the NBA admits that there was almost 2 potentially blown calls PER MINUTE in game 7 last year. That’s wild.

The NBA is less about basketball than it is about making money with a basketball. The NBA's stock in trade is the star system. The stars get the calls because that's what sells tickets, licensed properties, beer, TV ad revenue, etc. It's easier to hide the warts during the regular season because there are just single games. It's more difficult in the playoffs, when two teams play each other for 4-7 games. So when they try to manipulate their games in full view of the entirety of NBA fandom, it doesn't work. Because many of those watching actually know something about basketball, and they can see something's not right. They're pretty much becoming victims of their own success. :D

The NBA is less about basketball than it is about making money with a basketball. The NBA's stock in trade is the star system. The stars get the calls because that's what sells tickets, licensed properties, beer, TV ad revenue, etc. It's easier to hide the warts during the regular season because there are just single games. It's more difficult in the playoffs, when two teams play each other for 4-7 games. So when they try to manipulate their games in full view of the entirety of NBA fandom, it doesn't work. Because many of those watching actually know something about basketball, and they can see something's not right. They're pretty much becoming victims of their own success. :D

You pretty much just nailed what happened in college with Zion this year.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom