NBA Draft Tonight | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Draft Tonight

Sir Dominic Pointer--another reason to loathe the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Oh boy... can only hope thats a fake twitter...

Edit.. being thats 2012.. i presume its of no consequence now

Don't matter when it was, it's gold and should be interesting. Surprised nobody from the Lakers who worked him out and vetted him didn't have him delete that.

This kid spent the immediate minutes after getting DRAFTED TO THE NBA, scrambling to delete a 3 year old tweet. So ridiculous.

Trying to come up with a zinger on twitter when you're a nobody for 9 retweets isn't worth it, apparently.

This kid spent the immediate minutes after getting DRAFTED TO THE NBA, scrambling to delete a 3 year old tweet. So ridiculous.

Trying to come up with a zinger on twitter when you're a nobody for 9 retweets isn't worth it, apparently.

I didn't say that's what he should have done, but come on, it's in poor taste no matter how young you are. I'm saying I'm surprised the Lakers didn't look into his social media etc etc when they were looking at drafting him, if they saw that they probably should have asked him about it. I mean it's a pretty big insult to one of the biggest stars ever.

I didn't say that's what he should have done, but come on, it's in poor taste no matter how young you are. I'm saying I'm surprised the Lakers didn't look into his social media etc etc when they were looking at drafting him, if they saw that they probably should have asked him about it. I mean it's a pretty big insult to one of the biggest stars ever.

Agreed. I'm just commenting on the ridiculousness of the situation. Trying too hard on social media can lead to problems.

Happy for CMc, he gets the $$. But this is why the Nets usually stink. How Billy King keeps a GM job I'll never know. Then he trades Connaughton and Plumlee for Rhonde Hollis-Jefferson who will never score 10 points in the NBA.
Good for Rak...he deserved to go higher.

Stephen A Smith going absolutely nuts on ESPN, ripping the Knicks. Impressively angry rant even for him.

The knicks should just let the fans be GM. Then when we still have a garbage team hand it back to Phil. Not a bad draft. Also no doubt Phil has a strategy for Free Agency. Lot of talent available.

Happy for CMc, he gets the $$. But this is why the Nets usually stink. How Billy King keeps a GM job I'll never know. Then he trades Connaughton and Plumlee for Rhonde Hollis-Jefferson who will never score 10 points in the NBA.
Good for Rak...he deserved to go higher.
Perimeter defense is at a premium in the Association right now, and RHJ is the best perimeter defender in the draft (although, in the long run, Mudiay has the ability to surpass him . . . if he has the will).

Picking at 28 is always crapshoot; taking a guy with CMac's obvious potential is a smart move there.

I agree that Billy King is a terrible GM, but not because of these particular moves.

For any Celtics fans here, what do you think of them drafting 3 guards? They already had an ample supply. How many can you have, unless Ainge has something up his sleeve? I thought for sure he would trade up, but guess other teams wanted too much. They could have certainly used a big though. Surprised, but glad they drafted Terry Rozier being a local player - hope he sticks.

Andrew Harrison - 44th pick - way to develop that 5 star talent over 2 seasons, Cal you are the best, I want to play for you.
I'm not fan of Cal but after watching him parade one new millionaire after another across the stage it wouldn't surprise me if Battle signs with UK. I would hope not but that was pretty impressive if you are a teenager with aspirations of playing in the NBA.

34 teams passed on Dramond Green. And 35 passed on Jeremy Grant. No one past the top 10 picks is a "lock". So I don't see the point here.

He's a great kid who couldn't have had a better career at SU, even though he bloomed late offensively. He graduated in 3 years, conducted himself like a gentleman, and was and is an ambassador for the program off the court. And he can play. In todays NBA game, coaches go to smaller lineups ... and if Dramond Green can defend the post in small ball, I like Rak's chances to contribute as a rotation guy. So does Jay Bilas.

The point is that there have been numerous SU guys that were drafted in the past decade higher than Rak who had little to no NBA career. It's a lot harder to have a meaningful NBA career than people think. Just three months ago consensus on this board was Rak was a mid to late 1st round draft pick. I bet if you went over the NBA draft from five years ago that more than half of the guys taken in the 2nd round aren't even in the league.

If they lose Love they will add another veteran big or two. Always a few players that are attracted to playing with Lebron for fairly cheap.

Christmas will not be better than 5th or 6th big at the beginning of the year on the depth chart. They key for him is to simply make the team as there will certainly be guys that sign bigger guaranteed contracts that get the benefit of the doubt early on.

But with injuries and some of those guys losing a step, and Rak earning respect, he could certainly move up to an actual role by the middle of the year.

Its all up to Rak and I have the GREATEST CONFIDENCE he will do us all very very proud.

Stephen A Smith actually convinced me to hate the Porzingis pick again.

Melo is 31 and Phil took over this team saying we could be a playoff team/contender soon. How the F does taking Porzingis accomplish this?

SAS and Melo are tight, if Melo liked the move trust that SAs wouldn't be going scorched earth on Phil last night and this morning.

He doesn't argue the talent and potential of Porzingis but what are we selling FA's in the summer? If we strike out this summer, what are we selling FA's in 16? Particularly Durant who Melo has been actively recruiting. We have a 3 year window with Melo and cap space to contend before we start over again and meanwhile Phil has traded away the entire team for nothing and drafted a guy who might be good in a few years.

Phil better hope his clownshow triangle works this year and he gets some good free agents or Knicks fans will run him out of town.

bpo57 said:
The point is that there have been numerous SU guys that were drafted in the past decade higher than Rak who had little to no NBA career. It's a lot harder to have a meaningful NBA career than people think. Just three months ago consensus on this board was Rak was a mid to late 1st round draft pick. I bet if you went over the NBA draft from five years ago that more than half of the guys taken in the 2nd round aren't even in the league.

Why even have a second round? I mean players there are all busts. Plus it's hard. Who wants to work hard?

The farther down the board you go the probability of success diminishes - duh. But that doesn't mean he won't have a meaningful career. We have more hope because we know the kid. Nothing wrong with that.

Phil did a great job last night. Got arguably the biggest talent in the draft, his teammate that was better than him this year, and somehow got a 1st round pick out of Hardaway. I still can't believe they found a team to give a first round pick for him.

longislandcuse said:
Stephen A Smith actually convinced me to hate the Porzingis pick again. Melo is 31 and Phil took over this team saying we could be a playoff team/contender soon. How the F does taking Porzingis accomplish this? SAS and Melo are tight, if Melo liked the move trust that SAs wouldn't be going scorched earth on Phil last night and this morning. He doesn't argue the talent and potential of Porzingis but what are we selling FA's in the summer? If we strike out this summer, what are we selling FA's in 16? Particularly Durant who Melo has been actively recruiting. We have a 3 year window with Melo and cap space to contend before we start over again and meanwhile Phil has traded away the entire team for nothing and drafted a guy who might be good in a few years. Phil better hope his clownshow triangle works this year and he gets some good free agents or Knicks fans will run him out of town.

He traded away the team for cap space. Got rid of over-paid prima donnas. That space is still available and we'll see what he does next week.

I wouldn't bet against him.

Stephen A Smith actually convinced me to hate the Porzingis pick again.

Melo is 31 and Phil took over this team saying we could be a playoff team/contender soon. How the F does taking Porzingis accomplish this?

SAS and Melo are tight, if Melo liked the move trust that SAs wouldn't be going scorched earth on Phil last night and this morning.

He doesn't argue the talent and potential of Porzingis but what are we selling FA's in the summer? If we strike out this summer, what are we selling FA's in 16? Particularly Durant who Melo has been actively recruiting. We have a 3 year window with Melo and cap space to contend before we start over again and meanwhile Phil has traded away the entire team for nothing and drafted a guy who might be good in a few years.

Phil better hope his clownshow triangle works this year and he gets some good free agents or Knicks fans will run him out of town.

Phil's been preaching patience the whole time. Even if they reload rather than rebuild, Melo probably is like 35 by the time the Knicks are contenders again. Sacrificing the future to try to win now is what got the Knicks into trouble in the first place.

Congrats to Rak and Chris. I've never been bullish about Rak's pro prospects but I think he landed in the perfect spot - playing with coach LeBron is going to really help his developmental curve IMO. I'm really pulling for Rak to continue his improvement and turn into a solid NBA player. Great kid and great representative for the university.

I would have liked to see Chris make it through last year without the injury. I still think the kid has a world of potential and could develop into a very good pro, but it would have been nice to see if he had the stomach to rebound from his slump and progress in the second half of the season. That would have told me a lot about his pro potential - it takes a lot of mental toughness to make it in the NBA and I think that was one area that needed a lot of improvement last year.

Stephen A Smith going absolutely nuts on ESPN, ripping the Knicks. Impressively angry rant even for him.
If there's anybody's opinion I trust, it's SAS's.

:bat:

The Rak commentary is absurdly positive. Every NBA beat writer/analyst is slobbering over the pick.

Agreed with pretty much everyone that he easily could've been picked in the 20's.[/QUO
Why even have a second round? I mean players there are all busts. Plus it's hard. Who wants to work hard?

The farther down the board you go the probability of success diminishes - duh. But that doesn't mean he won't have a meaningful career. We have more hope because we know the kid. Nothing wrong with that.

That's fine to have hope. But the reality is the odds are heavily stacked against Rak that he will have a lengthy NBA career. There were only 5 of the 30 guys drafted in the 2nd round from the 2010 NBA draft that played even one minute this year in the NBA and most of them were deep bench players. When people throw around comments like "ten year NBA career" they have no idea how much of a longshot that is for most draftees (particularly 2nd rounders).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom