NBA Draft Tonight | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Draft Tonight

1- You being right about 2-3 times a year would be common place.

2- All schools have flameouts. Never said otherwise.

3- Not rooting for Cuse players to fail. Said Rak was very unlikely to play 10+ years in the NBA. You took that "slight" as your mission to go on a jihad. Nuts.

It's more about calling guys like #18 pick Wallace a "bust", while saying #2 pick Thabeet(often nicknamed Thabust) is "on his way". - He wasn't even in the league last year and has possibly been the least productive #2 pick in NBA history(and far less productive than Wallace was).

Or downplaying Jason Hart, while saying career journeyman AJ Price is "on his way".

It makes you look overly critical towards the SU guys.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Bust is probably too harsh. Disappointment might be a little better.

Maybe a disappointment to diehard SU fans and college hoop fans who overrated his NBA prospects due to his magical senior year tourney run.

But in the scheme of things he had the type of career that your average 18th pick has.

It's more about calling guys like #18 pick Wallace a "bust", while saying #2 pick Thabeet(often nicknamed Thabust) is "on his way". - He wasn't even in the league last year and has possibly been the least productive #2 pick in NBA history(and far less productive than Wallace was).

Or downplaying Jason Hart, while saying career journeyman AJ Price is "on his way".

I'll say it a second time. I was absolutely wrong on Thabeet and Price. Not trying to be overly critical of SU guys.

This whole conversation stems from me saying that the odds of a 10+ year career for Rak were very unlikely from a statistical standpoint. I then said previous bullish NBA prognostications on this board for several SU players never panned out. From that I'm a hater and rooting against Rak. OK.

That's he thing - in the context of a top 15 program, we haven't. Compared to Kentucky and Duke, sure. But as a top 15 program, we're right there.

Doing some more research I think you and others are probably right on this. I find there are 10-12 schools that are clearly ahead of SU in terms of NBA performance. After that it is murky.

My miss on Etan Thomas. Remember I said "did anything". Hart lasted the equivalent of about 4 seasons in terms of games played in the NBA and was primarily a bench player. I give him credit but there are a lot of schools that have guys do that. The other three were all first round busts. Greene and Flynn were in and out of the league pretty quickly.
Man, how did I know the "did anything" would be brought up. I covered that loop hole you thought you found, with links to sites that put a scoring system in place, and includes the extra broad and open ended statement of "did anythings". You are being overly critical of SU players and I've put a lot of info out there to support that. So we can take it that SU as a top 10 school "who did anything" in the league isn't good enough in your mind? If not that's fine, but arguing otherwise just isn't close enough to reality.

Man, how did I know the "did anything" would be brought up. I covered that loop hole you thought you found, with links to sites that put a scoring system in place, and includes the extra broad and open ended statement of "did anythings". You are being overly critical of SU players and I've put a lot of info out there to support that. So we can take it that SU as a top 10 school "who did anything" in the league isn't good enough in your mind? If not that's fine, but arguing otherwise just isn't close enough to reality.

Please read the post above yours.

IU is an elite program? You might want to update the fellas on the recruiting board. They were dumbfounded (as was I ) when we lost a key recruit to them this spring. IU hasn't been relevant for a very long time.

Indiana is considered one of the top basketball programs of all time. How are they not relevant?

1- You being right about 2-3 times a year would be common place.

2- All schools have flameouts. Never said otherwise.

3- Not rooting for Cuse players to fail. Said Rak was very unlikely to play 10+ years in the NBA. You took that "slight" as your mission to go on a jihad. Nuts.

1. If anything happens every year 2 0r 3 times (and as many as 9 times) it's common place

2. Then why are you picking on Syracuse?

3. I wasn't slighted about you thinking that at all. 10 years is a long time. The fact that you were basing Rak's chances on SU's "dismal track record" in the NBA was far more telling.

Doing some more research I think you and others are probably right on this. I find there are 10-12 schools that are clearly ahead of SU in terms of NBA performance. After that it is murky.

Who are those schools? You dismiss Louisvile and Michigan State's lack of NBA success because You say Izzo and Pitino don't recruit McDonald's All-American, but they just coach their players up. Do they get fewer McDonald's All Americans than Syracuse?

Honestly, I can't believe I have to argue the case that SU players have struggled to get into the NBA and then perform well when there.

Rony Seikaly, Danny Shayes, Etan Thomas, Sherman Douglas, Derrick Coleman Billy Owens, Jason Hart, and Carmelo all have played more than 10 years in the NBA. Louis Orr and Hakim Warrick played 9. John Wallace played 7. Wes Johnson is entering his 6th season. Michael Carter-Williams and Dion will likely play 10 years. Jerami Grant has a good shot.

I don't see how Syracuse players have struggled to get to the NBA and perform there at all. You seem focused on the ones that didn't make it, vs the ones that did.

Last edited:
AlpharettaCuse said:
Rony Seikaly, Sherman Douglas, Derrick Coleman Billy Owens, Jason Hart, and Carmelo all have played more than 10 years in the NBA. Etan Thomas and Hakim Warrick played 9. John Wallace played 6. Michael Carter-Williams and Dion will likely play 10 years. Jerami Grant has a good shot.

I don't see how Syracuse players have struggled to get to the NBA and perform there at all. You seem focused on the ones that didn't make it, vs the ones that did.

Isn't Danny Shayes still playing?

Who are North Carolina's all-stars in the NBA right now? They have 10 players in the NBA, 3 of which average double figures. Ty Lawson is the only one scoring more than 15 per game.

bpo57 has never met a syracuse player or recruit that wasn't overrated. Don't waste your time trying to convince him.

I mean I thought the same thing. I mean what a joke Price has played on 10 day contracts the past 2 years go look at his stats and he wants to tear down Hart's game played down. 6 years and 251 GP for Price. What a joke

Who are North Carolina's all-stars in the NBA right now? They have 10 players in the NBA, 3 of which average double figures. Ty Lawson is the only one scoring more than 15 per game.

Carolina hasn't had a future NBA All Star drafted since 1998.

Indiana is considered one of the top basketball programs of all time. How are they not relevant?

In the last 22 years they've had two B1G titles and three sweet 16 appearances. You call that elite?

1. If anything happens every year 2 0r 3 times (and as many as 9 times) it's common place

2. Then why are you picking on Syracuse?

3. I wasn't slighted about you thinking that at all. 10 years is a long time. The fact that you were basing Rak's chances on SU's "dismal track record" in the NBA was far more telling.

1 Nine 2nd rounders played 10+ years in the NBA? When was that?

2- not picking on SU. I've explained over and over my point and you don't get it.

3- I'm basing Rak's chances on the statistical odds and my own view that he's not good enough to have that type of career. That's an opinion and not a matter of hating on him. My point about SU is that posters here often predict success and lengthy NBA careers for our guys. You would think the fact that those predictions have been well wide of the mark would give people pause. This last point has little to do with my original point and was just a casual observation but it sure got you worked up. Sorry about that.

bpo57 has never met a syracuse player or recruit that wasn't overrated. Don't waste your time trying to convince him.

lol you still ticked I warned you that Malachi Richardson was massively overrated four months ago? After the two all star games I noticed the peanut gallery over on the recruiting board shut the hell up after that. No more grand predictions about one and done. Btw MR is the only SU recruit I have expressed a negative opinion on, so nice try. I am very high on Lydon and Moyer.

Rony Seikaly, Danny Shayes, Etan Thomas, Sherman Douglas, Derrick Coleman Billy Owens, Jason Hart, and Carmelo all have played more than 10 years in the NBA. Louis Orr and Hakim Warrick played 9. John Wallace played 7. Wes Johnson is entering his 6th season. Michael Carter-Williams and Dion will likely play 10 years. Jerami Grant has a good shot.

You left out Louie Orr who had a solid career. I acknowledged the success of SU guys from the late 1980s era. I clearly stated that there was a drought from the drafts of the 1990s and 2000s but that things have gotten better lately. Don't twist my words.

Who are those schools? You dismiss Louisvile and Michigan State's lack of NBA success because You say Izzo and Pitino don't recruit McDonald's All-American, but they just coach their players up. Do they get fewer McDonald's All Americans than Syracuse?

MSU does get fewer MCDs. Take your theory up with Oranze Zoo as he basically said the same thing about SU (and I kind of agree with him btw).

Syracuse is not in the top 5 for NBA players, but after Kentucky, Duke, UNC, UCLA, UConn we are in there with Florida, Arizona, Kansas, Texas, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest.

I'll give you the last two but we are not in there with FLA, KU, Texas and AZ. Their players have had much more success no matter what timeframe you use.

MSU does get fewer MCDs. Take your theory up with Oranze Zoo as he basically said the same thing about SU (and I kind of agree with him btw).
Izzo has recruited 11 McDonald's All-Americans (Mateen Cleaves - 1996, Jason Richardson - 1999, Marcus Taylor and Zach Randolph - 2000, Kelvin Torbert - 2001, Paul Davis - 2002, Shannon Brown and Brandon Cotton - 2003, Keith Appling - 2010, Branden Dawson - 2011, Gary Harris - 2012)

Since 1996 Syracuse has had Carmelo Anthony-2002, Eric Devendorf 2005, Jonny Flynn and Donte Green-2007, Fab Melo-2010, Rak Christmas and Michael Carter-Williams-2011, and Dejuan Coleman-2012

Please with these BS excuses. You want to troll SU it was quite obvious. Izzo has had 11 and JB has had 8 McD All-Americans.

1 Nine 2nd rounders played 10+ years in the NBA? When was that?

2- not picking on SU. I've explained over and over my point and you don't get it.

3- I'm basing Rak's chances on the statistical odds and my own view that he's not good enough to have that type of career. That's an opinion and not a matter of hating on him. My point about SU is that posters here often predict success and lengthy NBA careers for our guys. You would think the fact that those predictions have been well wide of the mark would give people pause. This last point has little to do with my original point and was just a casual observation but it sure got you worked up. Sorry about that.

1. 2003

2. Are you sure?

3. What predictions? And you seem to be the one worked up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom