NBA free agency/LeBronapalooza 2018 | Page 60 | Syracusefan.com

NBA free agency/LeBronapalooza 2018

Should I be tempering my hopes for Knox/Robinson? They look like straight up ballers in SL.

Hopefully Ntilikina can turn into something and we can mirror the Lakers young talent with those guys and KP.
Lonzo Ball was averaging triple doubles in summer league last year and was MVP of the summer league.
Kuzma was better than Ball in the season last year.
Just an FYI but be optimistic Knox looks good.

If he goes to Toronto the East will have 3 good teams.

I just don't buy the Raptors as a legitimate suitor unless nobody else is really pursuing him which seems nuts to me. I guess we'll see what happens, but it seems weird to me that Milwaukee would try to take a gamble on acquiring Kyrie despite no indications that he'd sign long-term but would sit out on the chance of acquiring Kawhi. Likewise with Phoenix, and both of those teams should be able to beat a Raptors package IMO.

So if you are Atlanta, would you rather have traded for Lin, or just tried to do the deal with Denver for their first?

Obviously those picks from Denver will likely bring more long-term value to the team than Lin. Very curious decision there; maybe Atlanta just really wants to make sure they have a suitable backup PG behind Trae for when they trade Dennis Schroder.

I'm really curious to see where Dennis ends up; the list of teams that he makes sense for isn't very long IMO.

I still feel like the Bulls are setting up for a big move (Melo). Not to trade and keep him, but a salary dump/tax relief for OKC and asset/s for CHI.

Bulls already had the space for him straight up. Then resigned Lavine bringing their cap space dow . Since have traded Grant for non guaranteed Stone (who will be waived 1.7 mil cap space), waived Kilpatrick, and rescinded QO to Nwaba (last 2 transactions about 3.5 mil cap space). They will waive Zipser's 1.5 mil non guaranteed and Vonleh's cap hold.

This will leave Chicago with almost 21 million in cap space as seen in the graphic attached. Bulls could get at least a first to take Melo's contract. You would think more based on what Brooklyn was just able to get, but Chicago would likely have to send some salary back (Asik one year left or Felicio and OKC stretches him-- that was the worst signing by the way). Bulls have trade exceptions (8+ and 1+) that could be in play as well.

IMG_20180713_083549.jpg

I think you can only use a trade exception if you're over the cap? Which the Bulls aren't. But I don't know.

I think they need to carve out some more cap space to take Melo's contract. So maybe they could've done it before they officially matched on Lavine.

1. Albert Nahmad‏ @AlbertNahmad 1h1 hour ago
    More
    Bulls are clearly up to something. It seems to me that they expect whatever it is to eat up around $20M of cap room... I don’t know what it is, but Carmelo Anthony makes $27.9M and Cristiano Felicio makes $8.4M and has two additional years on his contract...
    8 replies17 retweets35 likes

Retweet

Direct message

2. Rr6-pI2n_bigger.png
    Albert Nahmad‏ @AlbertNahmad 1h1 hour ago
    More
    Bulls are clearly up to something. And it seems to me that they are projecting whatever it is to eat up around $20M of cap room.

Could be as simple as the Bulls making a run at someone like Jabari or something, but yeah, seems to me like they're angling to absorb some cap. I kinda wonder if they'd have interest in Dennis Schroder, who clearly is on his way out in Atlanta. As is, Chicago has Dunn and Payne at PG; Payne is a waste and Dunn improved from awful to below average this past season. My gut feeling is Chicago wants to just stick with Dunn and see how he develops but we'll see.

Could be as simple as the Bulls making a run at someone like Jabari or something, but yeah, seems to me like they're angling to absorb some cap. I kinda wonder if they'd have interest in Dennis Schroder, who clearly is on his way out in Atlanta. As is, Chicago has Dunn and Payne at PG; Payne is a waste and Dunn improved from awful to below average this past season. My gut feeling is Chicago wants to just stick with Dunn and see how he develops but we'll see.

Dunn is there to stay and develop. Payne is terrible.. a GarPax guy that they want to run the 2nd unit. Wish they would cut bait.on him.

Jabari being a Chicago kid could make some sense, but the Bulls want max cap space for 2019 and 2020... not to mention they shouldn't take on another potential injury liability in Parker with Lavine already in the fold.

Last edited:
I think you can only use a trade exception if you're over the cap? Which the Bulls aren't. But I don't know.

I think they need to carve out some more cap space to take Melo's contract. So maybe they could've done it before they officially matched on Lavine.

They could take Melo if they send back Asik's expiring or Felicio's crap deal. It just lessens the Bulls haul for taking Melo's deal.

Either would lessen OKC's tax bill.

They are under the cap thus they don’t need equal salary back.
The Nets were able to take Fareed and the other contract without sending any salary back to the Nuggets because they were 1.5 million under the cap and Joe Harris hadn’t signed his agreement yet.
Bulls could take Melo now.

If the Bulls take Melo, is there a scenario they have a lottery pick plus room to add Butler and Davis in 2020?

The Nets were able to take Fareed and the other contract without sending any salary back to the Nuggets because they were 1.5 million under the cap and Joe Harris hadn’t signed his agreement yet.

I am all for taking Melo's salary for a 1st round pick+... but I have reservations from doing business with OKC before. Presti hustled GarPax into taking Payne, Lauvergne, and Morrow for McDermott, Gibson, AND an unprotected 2nd round pick. That one still gets me.

I am all for taking Melo's salary for a 1st round pick+... but I have reservations from doing business with OKC before. Presti hustled GarPax into taking Payne, Lauvergne, and Morrow for McDermott, Gibson, AND an unprotected 2nd round pick. That one still gets me.
At a minimum they should want what Brooklyn got from Denver and if the GM of Chicago had any brains he would ask for a draft pick swap option in the next 3 years.

OKC if they move Melo would save 100 million dollars in luxury tax obligations the next 3 years.
The stretch lessens it but they still pay an extra 100 million in those 3 years.
Giving up a first round pick 1-12 protected, a 2nd round pick, and the right to swap spots is the proper ask for any GM in that spot.
Stuff like this why I get pissed at how some dumb GMs are and am thankful the teams I root for have Ainge and Belichick who know what the hell they are doing.

If the Bulls take Melo, is there a scenario they have a lottery pick plus room to add Butler and Davis in 2020?

Hopeful for a high lottery pick next year to get one of those wings and then Davis the following year. Problem is the East is so bad and I think this young Bulls team could end up the 8th seed this year or just miss playoffs and end up late lottery.

Hopeful for a high lottery pick next year to get one of those wings and then Davis the following year. Problem is the East is so bad and I think this young Bulls team could end up the 8th seed this year or just miss playoffs and end up late lottery.
Yeah the analytics ELO chess software my buddy uses for NBA rosters right now has Chicago as the 8th seed in the East. That is how bad the East is.
The 5 worst rosters in the NBA are all in the East.

At a minimum they should want what Brooklyn got from Denver and if the GM of Chicago had any brains he would ask for a draft pick swap option in the next 3 years.

OKC if they move Melo would save 100 million dollars in luxury tax obligations the next 3 years.
The stretch lessens it but they still pay an extra 100 million in those 3 years.
Giving up a first round pick 1-12 protected, a 2nd round pick, and the right to swap spots is the proper ask for any GM in that spot.
Stuff like this why I get pissed at how some dumb GMs are and am thankful the teams I root for have Ainge and Belichick who know what the hell they are doing.

Agreed. Should be easy negotiating. But Presti is smart.

GarPax = The worst

Still think the east is

Boston
Bucks
Raptors
Pacers
6ers
Miami
Chicago (with Melo)
Pistons/cavs

Not sold on philly, and the bottom 3 seeds are meaningless unless Dion’s healthy for a year. Then lookout for Miami.

Yeah but if they're 20 million under the cap they can't just take $26 million back. I think it would work if OKC takes Feliciao, for instance though.

Is is true that if someone offered Parker a salary of like $18 million or so, Bucks couldn't match without dumping salary? Since they are hard capped.

Setting aside whether or not they should or would want to match a salary that high

Still think the east is

Boston
Bucks
Raptors
Pacers
6ers
Miami
Chicago (with Melo)
Pistons/cavs

Not sold on philly, and the bottom 3 seeds are meaningless unless Dion’s healthy for a year. Then lookout for Miami.
What I referenced had it like this
East
1.Celtics
2.76ers
3.Bucks
4.Raptors
5.Pacers
6.Wizards
7. Heat
8. Bulls
9. Pistons
10. Cavaliers
11. Hornets
12. Nets
13. Knicks
14. Hawks
15. Magic

What I referenced had it like this
East
1.Celtics
2.76ers
3.Bucks
4.Raptors
5.Pacers
6.Wizards
7. Heat
8. Bulls
9. Pistons
10. Cavaliers
11. Hornets
12. Nets
13. Knicks
14. Hawks
15. Magic
Ah i forgot the Wiz kids. I think they take a step back in the heirarchy if Dion and Miami are healthy. Also, If Detroit can put it together.

I like the Pacers and Bucks, as teams, more than the 6ers.

But if Simmons progresses and Embiid/Fultz stay healthy then that team will be closer to challenging Boston.

Yeah but if they're 20 million under the cap they can't just take $26 million back. I think it would work if OKC takes Feliciao, for instance though.

Is is true that if someone offered Parker a salary of like $18 million or so, Bucks couldn't match without dumping salary? Since they are hard capped.

Setting aside whether or not they should or would want to match a salary that high
I just read the Thunder want Bobby Portis in the deal and the Bulls want a 2021 unprotected pick which is killing the deal.

I. Thomas signs for 2 million for 1 year. It’s hard to take people seriously when they get on this “Melo should’ve taken $60 million less to go to the Bulls!” or get on to criticizing Leonard when they truly have no idea the extent of his injury.

Get the wrong injury and you go from a max guy to a minimum guy in a hurry.

I. Thomas signs for 2 million for 1 year. It’s hard to take people seriously when they get on this “Melo should’ve taken $60 million less to go to the Bulls!” or get on to criticizing Leonard when they truly have no idea the extent of his injury.

Get the wrong injury and you go from a max guy to a minimum guy in a hurry.
I agree IT wanted a full max from Boston. Ainge reportedly offered an extension last year ago in the range of 4-60 and said he wanted the brink trucks.
Isaiah Thomas: Celtics must 'bring the Brinks truck' to re-sign him next summer
The fact Thomas wouldn’t do a discount non-max deal caused Ainge to be cutthroat and when Irving became available deal him.

I think max contracts are a joke. They destroy the market. Players shouldn’t have be paid equal as there is a clear hierarchy. The max deals force players who aren’t worthy of them to get them and flood the market. The only start thing the NBA has done right is cap contract length at 4 years and only allow 2 5 year deals per teams.
These contracts are just stupid for some players.
An average player like Nicolas Batum is getting 120 million over 5 years and NFL studs will pray to make that much in their entire career.

IT got greedy and put himself in a dificult position. Boston wants banners, his effort in the postseason was admirable and impressive, but he wasn’t the x factor big piece that’d get us over the bump.

Kyrie’s learning from IT’s mistake and strategically posturing himself to be rewarded adequately imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom