NBA free agency/LeBronapalooza 2018 | Page 61 | Syracusefan.com

NBA free agency/LeBronapalooza 2018

IT played through a pretty serious injury, probably made it worse, and now will likely never be the same player again. Boston traded him as soon as they could.

That's fine, it's a business. It's also why I am never gonna knock a player who tries to maximize his dollars. Gotta look out for yourself

IT played through a pretty serious injury, probably made it worse, and now will likely never be the same player again. Boston traded him as soon as they could.

That's fine, it's a business. It's also why I am never gonna knock a player who tries to maximize his dollars. Gotta look out for yourself
I never rip a player for getting money as soon as they can.
I just think Isaiah is the example of what is enough and when gambling on yourself can backfire.
He got offered money last year he would take now.
He just wanted more.
It sucks for him as I doubt he will ever get what he could taken.
His terrible defense hurts him. He is a guy that should be making 10-15 million a year but because of max contracts and him seeing a former teammate like Evan Turner get 68 million thinks he is worth more.

I don’t blame a player for ever taking the money. It’s what anybody would do unless they already had 100+ million plus then maybe you can spare a couple million to find the best fit but even then I don’t blame any player for taking every dollar.

I never rip a player for getting money as soon as they can.
I just think Isaiah is the example of what is enough and when gambling on yourself can backfire.
He got offered money last year he would take now.
He just wanted more.
It sucks for him as I doubt he will ever get what he could taken.
His terrible defense hurts him. He is a guy that should be making 10-15 million a year but because of max contracts and him seeing a former teammate like Evan Turner get 68 million thinks he is worth more.

I don’t blame a player for ever taking the money. It’s what anybody would do unless they already had 100+ million plus then maybe you can spare a couple million to find the best fit but even then I don’t blame any player for taking every dollar.

When was IT offered 4/60? Sometime during the 2017 season?

I can't fault him for not taking it. Assuming it was before he got hurt, he had to think if he could've just made it to this summer he was gonna cash in pretty well. But totally, gambling on yourself can backfire. What a fall for him. Gotta feel for him

When was IT offered 4/60? Sometime during the 2017 season?

I can't fault him for not taking it. Assuming it was before he got hurt, he had to think if he could've just made it to this summer he was gonna cash in pretty well. But totally, gambling on yourself can backfire. What a fall for him. Gotta feel for him
During the ASB in 2017. He was offered an extension but he wanted a max deal. After that it was shelved until he was going to be a FA.
I don't blame him a player for doing anything related to money he gambled and sadly lost.

Is is true that if someone offered Parker a salary of like $18 million or so, Bucks couldn't match without dumping salary? Since they are hard capped.

Setting aside whether or not they should or would want to match a salary that high

Yes. Obviously if the Bucks wanted to keep him, they could probably find a way to dump a little bit of salary to make it work but technically speaking, they can only go up to roughly $18 million without having to make trades and stuff.

I don't THINK anyone will offer Jabari nearly that amount but I guess we'll see.

During the ASB in 2017. He was offered an extension but he wanted a max deal. After that it was shelved until he was going to be a FA.
I don't blame him a player for doing anything related to money he gambled and sadly lost.

Yeah I could almost see that as an insulting offer to IT, guy was in the middle a season that would put him 5th int he MVP. 4/60 is very low considering that

Yes. Obviously if the Bucks wanted to keep him, they could probably find a way to dump a little bit of salary to make it work but technically speaking, they can only go up to roughly $18 million without having to make trades and stuff.

I don't THINK anyone will offer Jabari nearly that amount but I guess we'll see.

How would you feel about them matching that kind of deal?

That's honestly hilarious if OKC is trying to demand which assets they receive for Carmelo as if Chicago isn't doing them a massive favor.
Well our Bulls fan poster here has been saying the Bulls management is dumb. If Presti could steal Portis in the deal I don't blame him for asking.
Bulls wanting an unprotected pick is probably more of the holdup.

Well our Bulls fan poster here has been saying the Bulls management is dumb. If Presti could steal Portis in the deal I don't blame him for asking.

You think? The Bulls need to get something from the Thunder, right? Maybe just protect the pick a little?

How would you feel about them matching that kind of deal?

If it's like a 4 year, $72 million deal and no options or anything? Not good.

I'm hoping we can bring him back on like a 2/$25-30 million deal with the 2nd year being a player option or something like that. I'd prefer a team option instead but I doubt Jabari would go for it.

GarPax is definitely dumb but man that's just shameful if Chicago actually lets OKC call the shots in this kinda situation.

You think? The Bulls need to get something from the Thunder, right? Maybe just protect the pick a little?
If it's like a 4 year, $72 million deal and no options or anything? Not good.

I'm hoping we can bring him back on like a 2/$25-30 million deal with the 2nd year being a player option or something like that. I'd prefer a team option instead but I doubt Jabari would go for it.

GarPax is definitely dumb but man that's just shameful if Chicago actually lets OKC call the shots in this kinda situation.
It wouldn't shock me if Chicago asks for an unprotected pick from OKC and Presti was like maybe if you inclide something like Portis. Doing so to force Chicago to accept a protected pick that is more favorable to OKC and GarPax thinking maybe we should deal Portis because they are dumb and thinking that unprotected pick would be more appealing. Then Presti thinking OMG they are dumb and would give up something valuable just for an unprotected pick that isn't going to be better than teens if we miss the playoffs in 3 years.
That said the deal should be the Brooklyn-Denver framework and maybe an additional asset and its done unless Gar-Pax are truly that dumb,.

It wouldn't shock me if Chicago asks for an unprotected pick from OKC and Presti was like maybe if you inclide something like Portis. Doing so to force Chicago to accept a protected pick that is more favorable to OKC and GarPax thinking maybe we should deal Portis because they are dumb and thinking that unprotected pick would be more appealing. Then Presti thinking OMG they are dumb and would give up something valuable just for an unprotected pick that isn't going to be better than teens if we miss the playoffs in 3 years.
That said the deal should be the Brooklyn-Denver framework and maybe an additional asset and its done unless Gar-Pax are truly that dumb,.

I think Chicago has more leverage than Brooklyn, they should get a better package. They could potentially save OKC a lot more money than Denver. (Right?)

If I am doing the math correctly, OKC is about $35 million over the tax right now, using that #, OKC owes about $140 million in luxury tax. If they wiped Melo's $28 million completely off the books, they would owe something like $20 million in tax. If they take him into the $20 million in cap space, meaning OKC would take about $8 million back, OKC would owe something like $43 million in tax. So they could save OKC on the order of $100 million. They should get an unprotected pick for that.

Bottom line is Bulls have options...
Take Melo's contract for assets.
Take another undesirable contract for assets.
Sign a RFA like a Parker.

OKC has 2 options...
Let the Bulls do them a huge favor and take Melo's contract and save them lots of tax dollars.
Stretch his contract without as much savings.

Bottom line is Bulls have options...
Take Melo's contract for assets.
Take another undesirable contract for assets.
Sign a RFA like a Parker.

OKC has 2 options...
Let the Bulls do them a huge favor and take Melo's contract and save them lots of tax dollars.
Stretch his contract without as much savings.

My buddy made the point; if they swap Felicio for Melo, isn't that essentially the same, dollarwise, as stretching melo?

Felicio is owed $24.2 million the next 3 years, if they stretched Melo they'd owe him $28 million over the next 3. So its about $4 million over 3 years. Which is not nothing, granted, but maybe not worth giving up a great asset? Or maybe there's something I'm missing? I guess there's more flexibility with Felicio, you could move his contract later as opposed to once you stretch Melo, that's done.

My buddy made the point; if they swap Felicio for Melo, isn't that essentially the same, dollarwise, as stretching melo?

Felicio is owed $24.2 million the next 3 years, if they stretched Melo they'd owe him $28 million over the next 3. So its about $4 million over 3 years. Which is not nothing, granted, but maybe not worth giving up a great asset? Or maybe there's something I'm missing? I guess there's more flexibility with Felicio, you could move his contract later as opposed to once you stretch Melo, that's done.

I would love to get Felicio off the books (that was such a bad signing/deal) and get a draft pick/s for Melo.

Yeah I get it from the Bulls POV

Thunder would get cheaper alternative to a Melo stretch (particularly if no buyout), realize $100M in luxury tax savings in 2018-19, and could trade Felicio (then 2/$16M) into what’ll be tons of cap room around NBA next summer or stretch if not (likely wouldn’t stretch now).

Well just when I thought we'd finally make the right move and gain assets.. this happens...

Parker is a Chicago kid and wants to play there. Bulls need a wing. There has always been some dot connecting. Just depends on the money for me with the injury potential. Parker may help with Davis in '20.

Last edited:
Jimmy Butler turned down a 4 year extension over 100 mil. This could end up being a Minny rental for Jimmy after trading Lavine, Dunn, and pick (Lauri).

The Bucks front office is so inept it makes me unhappy to be a Bucks an, and we have Giannis Antetokounmpo on our team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom