NBA free agency/LeBronapalooza 2018 | Page 70 | Syracusefan.com

NBA free agency/LeBronapalooza 2018

Garnett over Magic and Larry?

I'm still working my way through the write-ups. It does seem like he puts a lot on career value. KG played 1,462 regular season games, Magic and Bird combined for 1,803. So if put a lot on focus on career length, I can see see it I guess

I'm still working my way through the write-ups. It does seem like he puts a lot on career value. KG played 1,462 regular season games, Magic and Bird combined for 1,803. So if put a lot on focus on career length, I can see see it I guess

Just skipping down to the Seasonal Valuations section, he has Garnett at like 9 MVP caliber seasons compared to 7 or 8 for Magic/Bird so I think it's a mix of him thinking Garnett's peak was legitimately great and underrated and also the fact that he lasted longer than those two did.

Just skipping down to the Seasonal Valuations section, he has Garnett at like 9 MVP caliber seasons compared to 7 or 8 for Magic/Bird so I think it's a mix of him thinking Garnett's peak was legitimately great and underrated and also the fact that he lasted longer than those two did.

I can see that. (I hope to finish reading all the capsules today. I'm enjoying the hell out of them)

Probably also a lot comes down to defensive evaluation; there's probably a pretty good case to be made that Garnett is like one of the 5 best defensive players of all time (and its also possible top 5 is conservative). If you buy that, well, you gotta rank the guy really highly.

The Reggie Miller write-up really made me think. I'm predisposed to hate him and I always thought he was a little overrated because he didn't do much with the ball, but there were a lot of good points made about him in there.

Here's another thing I don't think I knew.

So the Jerry West Lakers made a ton of finals in the 60s. (I did know that.) They didn't make it his rookie year, (61), but they made it in 62. And 63. And 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 72, and 73. A lot of finals. In a 12 year period they made the finals 9 times (played Boston 6 times and the Knicks thrice if anyone cares). But what I didn't realize is that in one of those years, 67, West was injured and basically didn't play in the playoffs! Lakers were swept in the first round that year, it wasn't really close, so I'm not saying they would've won if West played, just saying I didn't realize he didd't even play.

I can see that. (I hope to finish reading all the capsules today. I'm enjoying the hell out of them)

Probably also a lot comes down to defensive evaluation; there's probably a pretty good case to be made that Garnett is like one of the 5 best defensive players of all time (and its also possible top 5 is conservative). If you buy that, well, you gotta rank the guy really highly.

The Reggie Miller write-up really made me think. I'm predisposed to hate him and I always thought he was a little overrated because he didn't do much with the ball, but there were a lot of good points made about him in there.

I think Reggie gets the longevity factor too. At any given time there was always some 2 guards better than him all around, but Reggie lasted forever.

I also tend to think he’s a little overrated...he couldn’t do as much as other guys. But he was legitimately great at what he did and played with a team that usually tailored itself well to his game so it worked. His off the ball movement and coming off screens is a bit of a lost art. Nobody does it like he did.

I think Reggie gets the longevity factor too. At any given time there was always some 2 guards better than him all around, but Reggie lasted forever.

I also tend to think he’s a little overrated...he couldn’t do as much as other guys. But he was legitimately great at what he did and played with a team that usually tailored itself well to his game so it worked. His off the ball movement and coming off screens is a bit of a lost art. Nobody does it like he did.
DeMar DeRozen is the Reggie Miller type player of today.
Really good but not great.

Reggie was a nemesis for Knicks fans after MJ but he was never a guy who would say was must watch.

Yeah definite points for longevity, it is amazing how long he did it (he was an all star in 90 and was still a solid player until the end in 05) but a lot of the stuff I talk about with Steph drawing attention away from everyone else is true, to a lesser extent, for Reggie.

Yeah definite points for longevity, it is amazing how long he did it (he was an all star in 90 and was still a solid player until the end in 05) but a lot of the stuff I talk about with Steph drawing attention away from everyone else is true, to a lesser extent, for Reggie.

Looking up Reggie’s awards...all league he only got third team, 3 times. That doesn’t surprise me at all, as he was never really a top, top guy. He was more of a top 20ish type player in the league. However I am surprised that he only made 5 all star teams. Jordan had a lock on the starting two guard spot for most of his prime, but I would’ve thought he would’ve gotten maybe 7-8 nods, given how long he was a good player for.

Looking up Reggie’s awards...all league he only got third team, 3 times. That doesn’t surprise me at all, as he was never really a top, top guy. He was more of a top 20ish type player in the league. However I am surprised that he only made 5 all star teams. Jordan had a lock on the starting two guard spot for most of his prime, but I would’ve thought he would’ve gotten maybe 7-8 nods, given how long he was a good player for.

I don't know if you read the link, but the guy makes a mention of that too; he is a little short of the awards, which kinda reconciles with my original thinking. But I am kinda swayed to the argument that a lot of the stuff he did was underrated.

Looking at the AS game stuff; he made it in 1990, and then then again till 95. He made 4 times in 6 years between 95 and 2000, which isn't bad, and then never again.

Here are the guard types that made it over Reggie

91: Dumars and Jordan started, bench guys Alvin Robertson, Nique, Hersey Hawkins
92: Jordan and Zeke started, Mark Price, Michael Adams, Joe Dumars, Reggie Lewis
93: Jordan and Zeke again, bench guys Price, Dumars, Nique
94: Kenny Anderson and BJ Armstrong (?????) started, Price, Starks, Mookie Blaylock, Nique on the bench

That's not exactly a murderers row. I think it speaks to the fact that Reggie was probably a little underrated at the time.

I don't know if you read the link, but the guy makes a mention of that too; he is a little short of the awards, which kinda reconciles with my original thinking. But I am kinda swayed to the argument that a lot of the stuff he did was underrated.

Looking at the AS game stuff; he made it in 1990, and then then again till 95. He made 4 times in 6 years between 95 and 2000, which isn't bad, and then never again.

Here are the guard types that made it over Reggie

91: Dumars and Jordan started, bench guys Alvin Robertson, Nique, Hersey Hawkins
92: Jordan and Zeke started, Mark Price, Michael Adams, Joe Dumars, Reggie Lewis
93: Jordan and Zeke again, bench guys Price, Dumars, Nique
94: Kenny Anderson and BJ Armstrong (?????) started, Price, Starks, Mookie Blaylock, Nique on the bench

That's not exactly a murderers row. I think it speaks to the fact that Reggie was probably a little underrated at the time.
Reggie Miller also got lucky Reggie Lewis passed away he was better than Miller as well.

Miller is a nice player but he was the 90’s version of Andrew Toney. If he was the 2nd best player on a team in the 80’s when the league was 23 teams he would have won a championship but with over expansion 30 teams he was elevated to star status even though IMO he wasn’t a. Star.

Reggie Miller also got lucky Reggie Lewis passed away he was better than Miller as well.

Miller is a nice player but he was the 90’s version of Andrew Toney. If he was the 2nd best player on a team in the 80’s when the league was 23 teams he would have won a championship but with over expansion 30 teams he was elevated to star status even though IMO he wasn’t a. Star.

That reconciles with a lot of what I thought. Did you read the write-up? Turned me around a little

Backpicks GOAT: #29 Reggie Miller

That reconciles with a lot of what I thought. Did you read the write-up? Turned me around a little

Backpicks GOAT: #29 Reggie Miller
He was a weapon offensively but he needed all those screens to get those shots in those videos.
He was a great shooter and cutter.
He didn’t pass like Steph does and Curry’s defense isn’t that bad like Reggie’s was.

I don’t think Reggie is one of the greatest 50 players off alltime. Listing him 29th is definitely too high IMO.

He was a weapon offensively but he needed all those screens to get those shots in those videos.
He was a great shooter and cutter.
He didn’t pass like Steph does and Curry’s defense isn’t that bad like Reggie’s was.

I don’t think Reggie is one of the greatest 50 players off alltime. Listing him 29th is definitely too high IMO.

Some of that is the length of his career, and this list puts a lot on career value.

I was surprised that he improved his playoff numbers basically more than anyone ever. Has to be some value to that. That and considering the effects of his spacing on the rest of the offense made me think more highly of him than I did two days ago

I didn’t think one could be more corny than KD, but CJ McCollum has proven me wrong.

Sidenote on the Reggie Miller talk, the NBA sub-reddit is doing a "_______ of the 2010s" voting thing and one of the posts had a throwback comparison to the 2000s and showed a highlight of Tayshaun Prince blocking Reggie Miller in the playoffs. I knew those two were super skinny back then, but they almost don't even look like NBA players compared to today's guys lol.

Sidenote on the Reggie Miller talk, the NBA sub-reddit is doing a "_______ of the 2010s" voting thing and one of the posts had a throwback comparison to the 2000s and showed a highlight of Tayshaun Prince blocking Reggie Miller in the playoffs. I knew those two were super skinny back then, but they almost don't even look like NBA players compared to today's guys lol.

So weird, but for some reason I have such a vivid memory of watching this game.
Would you have guessed Tayshaun was in the nba 2 years ago? because he was!

Amazing stat from the Wilt write up, in his first 7 seasons in the league, the best offense he played on was 1.7 points above league average. The year he scored 50 per game, 1.7 points above average. The next year, he scored 45 per game, and they were below average!

When I was a kid my friends and I used to call a weak 2 armed dunk that didn’t even bend the rim down at all a “Reggie Miller dunk”, lol.

I just finished the KG capsule, I don't think I realized quite how good a passer he was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom