NBA Offseason: Draft + FA + Trades | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Offseason: Draft + FA + Trades

Is it possible that this is a bad move for both Miami and Chicago? It'll be interesting to see if it's possible to be good offensively when your PG, SG, and SF all can't shoot.
Chicago has the worst shooting team starting lineup in the NBA now.

Chicago-New York should have the 2011 Eastern Conference Finals vibe now. I think Wade took the money to spite Riley and will get moved to Cleveland or a contender somehow at the trading deadline. It is a bad move for Chicago but their fans were getting pissed and Wade is a big name and local kid. Miami and Riley look awful as well. No loyalty. I get made at organizations now. Players should always go for the money as these organizations are making money hand over fist and have no loyalty to their players. 10 million dollars over 2 years wouldn't have killed Miami's cap.

The Heat paid Bosh and then paid Whiteside. Wade deserved that money.

The only team that should trade for Westbrook would be the Lakers as he won't sign an extension. Phil would be nuts to trade KP for 1 year of Westbrook .

Lakers have 4 young players let the Thunder pick 1 and trade Clarkson's cap hit with it and you get Westbrook. That is the best the Thunder could get for him.

If Westbrook would sign an extension the Celtics could offer 2 Brooklyn picks, Marcus Smart and another piece which would be about the best they could get.

I read an interesting conspiracy theory I wish were possibly true.
Step 1. Dwayne Wade leaves Miami because they didn't pay him.
Step 2 that causes Hassan Whiteside to reneges on his verbal agreement with the Miami Heat a la DeAndre Jordan.
Step 3 Whiteside decides to go to his 2nd choice the Dallas Mavericks
Step 4 because Dallas signed Whiteside they don't have the cap space to trade for Andrew Bogut.
Step 5 because no other team than Dallas would take Bogut the Warriors can't sign Durant for the Max.
Step 6 Durant goes back to OKC for 1 year.

Is it possible that this is a bad move for both Miami and Chicago? It'll be interesting to see if it's possible to be good offensively when your PG, SG, and SF all can't shoot.

Butler can shoot it, no? (Looks it up; he was really good season before last, not as much last year).

Rondo made 36% from 3 last year! I would not have guessed that in a million years.

Butler can shoot it, no? (Looks it up; he was really good season before last, not as much last year).

Rondo made 36% from 3 last year! I would not have guessed that in a million years.

8 guards in the NBA played at least 2200 minutes and made fewer than 70 3's last year. Dwyane Wade, Rondo, and Jimmy Butler were 3 of those 8.

I read an interesting conspiracy theory I wish were possibly true.
Step 1. Dwayne Wade leaves Miami because they didn't pay him.
Step 2 that causes Hassan Whiteside to reneges on his verbal agreement with the Miami Heat a la DeAndre Jordan.
Step 3 Whiteside decides to go to his 2nd choice the Dallas Mavericks
Step 4 because Dallas signed Whiteside they don't have the cap space to trade for Andrew Bogut.
Step 5 because no other team than Dallas would take Bogut the Warriors can't sign Durant for the Max.
Step 6 Durant goes back to OKC for 1 year.

Besides the fact that the Mavs don't have the cap space for Whiteside anymore, I believe I read that the Warriors could use the stretch provision on Bogut and basically free the space for Durant that way.

8 guards in the NBA played at least 2200 minutes and made fewer than 70 3's last year. Dwyane Wade, Rondo, and Jimmy Butler were 3 of those 8.

That's pretty amazing to me; Butler made about one three per game, which roughly seems ok. Wade of course made 7/44, and then I think he made like 10 in the playoffs?

I think Butler is a decent shooter. The other 2...

If you're Knicks brass, do you offer KP/Rose for Westbrook?

If Westbrook was going to agree to an extension, I guess you consider it. Rose is basically nothing at this point anyways, so it's really just Westbrook for Porzingis straight up. Westbrook is probably better than Porzingis will ever be, so I might do it. But it doesn't sound like Westbrook will agree to an extension with anyone and though there have been whispers that he'd like to go to New York, I feel like he'd prefer going to a contender, which I don't think the Knicks are when they have Melo and Noah long-term.

If Westbrook was going to agree to an extension, I guess you consider it. Rose is basically nothing at this point anyways, so it's really just Westbrook for Porzingis straight up. Westbrook is probably better than Porzingis will ever be, so I might do it. But it doesn't sound like Westbrook will agree to an extension with anyone and though there have been whispers that he'd like to go to New York, I feel like he'd prefer going to a contender, which I don't think the Knicks are when they have Melo and Noah long-term.

I'm not trading Porzingis for anyone right now.

Love Russ, love to watch him play, just not for any team I'm rooting for. He has one speed -- 25th gear -- and he sometimes, too often, is plain outta control. Not his fault, he just has no governor.

Can't find the video, but there was one sequence in the playoffs when Russ stole the ball or did something exceptional, broke away from a couple of defenders, got to the hole and was going so freakin' fast he over-ran the basket and missed a big bunny.

I think Westbrook-Lee-Melo-Noah with Jennings and Gallo off the bench is a pretty good starting point for a Top 4 playoff spot in the East.

I say that because RW immediately becomes the best player in the conference not named Lebron. He might be that anyway, in either conference. Yes, I think a case can he make that he's the second best player in the NBA.

That said. No way because RW isn't signing long term this year and you don't trade KP for a maybe.

Last edited:
I think Westbrook-Lee-Melo-Noah with Jennings and Gallo off the bench is a pretty good starting point for a Top 4 playoff spot in the East.

I say that because RW immediately becomes the best player in the conference not named Lebron. He might be that anyway, in either conference. Yes, I think a case can he make that he's the second best player in the NBA.

That said. No way because RW isn't signing long term this year and you don't trade KP for a maybe.

The last line is really the key there.

I love KP, but if you can lock up Russ I feel like you'd have to do it. But I do love KP. (Though as much as I love KP, imagine if they hadn't won those games down the stretch and got the #1 pick.)

Gallo went to the pellies; maybe you meant Lance off the bench?

I like Russ, I do, but I can't put him at number 2. He got outplayed by Curry in games 5-7.

The outta control part of his game hurts him, and was a big reason OKC blew that series to GSW.

I'd rather try to sign RW next year than trade KP for him now. No FA is going to sign an extension with the projected Cap rising again...

I like Russ, I do, but I can't put him at number 2. He got outplayed by Curry in games 5-7.

The outta control part of his game hurts him, and was a big reason OKC blew that series to GSW.

I'd rather try to sign RW next year than trade KP for him now. No FA is going to sign an extension with the projected Cap rising again...

I think, but I'm not 100% sure, the extension would be tied to the new cap. Especially if it's a max deal (which it would be). The max is a % of the cap, so it would just be the max % of whatever the cap (which is now going to be lower than we thought, it seems) turns out to be.

I think, but I'm not 100% sure, the extension would be tied to the new cap. Especially if it's a max deal (which it would be). The max is a % of the cap, so it would just be the max % of whatever the cap (which is now going to be lower than we thought, it seems) turns out to be.
Extension would be tied to the current cap. That is why he won't sign with anybody. He can get more money tied to the % next summer. The cap next year will be 102 million while its 95 million right now. He will get more money next year.

He won't sign but he can have a handshake agreement.

Extension would be tied to the current cap. That is why he won't sign with anybody. He can get more money tied to the % next summer. The cap next year will be 102 million while its 95 million right now. He will get more money next year.

He won't sign but he can have a handshake agreement.

Are you sure about that? You're going to make me check the salary cap faq, i am pretty sure there have been guys who agreed to max extensions and the contracts were based on the cap at the time.

Extensions can be 4 years max, including the last year of the deal. So, Russ isn't signing an extension, since it's basically a 3 year extension and he can either sign 4 years with a new team or 5 with his current team.

I may be thinking of guys coming off rookie deals. I want to say it was Paul george I'm thinking of?

Are you sure about that? You're going to make me check the salary cap faq, i am pretty sure there have been guys who agreed to max extensions and the contracts were based on the cap at the time.
NBA's ludicrous spending spree sends cap projections lower for 2017-18

This article shows how the cap is going down and how GS has to clear cap space to pay Durant his max. However, the point is the same. The cap is lower right now so any extension would be tied to this cap.

LeBron has been taking 1 year deals 2 years in a row so he can get the max extension next summer when the cap is the highest it will be. LeBron could sign a 5 year deal now but he is waiting for next summer when it will be the 200 million pay day he deserves.

NBA's ludicrous spending spree sends cap projections lower for 2017-18

This article shows how the cap is going down and how GS has to clear cap space to pay Durant his max. However, the point is the same. The cap is lower right now so any extension would be tied to this cap.

LeBron has been taking 1 year deals 2 years in a row so he can get the max extension next summer when the cap is the highest it will be. LeBron could sign a 5 year deal now but he is waiting for next summer when it will be the 200 million pay day he deserves.

Extensions like Russ are extremely rare and basically never happen. Lebron won't be signing an extension, he'll be a FA and hitting the market. I was thinking of rookie deals, which I mentioned above.