NBA Offseason: Draft + FA + Trades | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Offseason: Draft + FA + Trades

thunderclippers.png

I like this trade. Pierce/Redick go away and OKC get its local guy in Griffin to build around.

Or this trade.
thundertimberwolves.png

If Russell would play in Minnesota that team could compete with Golden State in a year.

thunderclippers.png

I like this trade. Pierce/Redick go away and OKC get its local guy in Griffin to build around.

Or this trade.
thundertimberwolves.png

If Russell would play in Minnesota that team could compete with Golden State in a year.

Does that Clipper trade really work for LA? Paul and Russ? And you can't really play Kanter and Deandre together too much. Plus you'd have to be really sure Blake wants to play in OKC without another star.

I literally just realized Russ won't have 10 years next year, so he won't be eligible for the 35% max.

Does that Clipper trade really work for LA? Paul and Russ? And you can't really play Kanter and Deandre together too much. Plus you'd have to be really sure Blake wants to play in OKC without another star.

I literally just realized Russ won't have 10 years next year, so he won't be eligible for the 35% max.
I think it could work for the Clippers if Westbrook wants to win. Also, aren't Kanter and DeAndre opposite players? Kanter needs defensive help and DeAndre is an elite defensive player.

I think it would be an upgrade for the Clippers.

I think it could work for the Clippers if Westbrook wants to win. Also, aren't Kanter and DeAndre opposite players? Kanter needs defensive help and DeAndre is an elite defensive player.

I think it would be an upgrade for the Clippers.

Problem is neither of them provides much spacing.

I wouldn't do that if i were the Clippers. Why not just take a run at signing Russ next summer?

thunderclippers.png

Or this trade.
thundertimberwolves.png

I never realized Kanter was making that much money.

Once your lord and savior Lebron turns on the kid I guess Dion is your enemy for life.
What in my post -- an article updating a former Syracuse player's f.a. status -- was anti-Dion?

And that would be our lord and savior LeBron, not mine.

ever since Dion was made the scapegoat for Cleveland's troubles and traded you have gone out of your way to rag on him since then. Your boy got rid of him and they won, why kick a man when he's down. Full disclosure in the Dion vs. Triche war I was team Dion all the way.

ever since Dion was made the scapegoat for Cleveland's troubles and traded you have gone out of your way to rag on him since then. Your boy got rid of him and they won, why kick a man when he's down. Full disclosure in the Dion vs. Triche war I was team Dion all the way.

Wow, good for you, aren't you wonderful! And, while we're congratulating ourselves on how great we are, I loved Dion his one big season at 'Cuse, was pulling for him in Cleveland, was outta my mind happy for him when LeBron returned to Cleveland and made a point of mentioning Dion as a player he was looking forward to being on the court with,

Then Dion blew that golden opportunity and was lucky he went to a team like OKC. I'd love to see him straighten out and get his act together.

And for those hard-of-reading posters out there (you'd easily qualify), my latest post you took umbrage (offense or annoyance) at was an article from the OKC rag updating Dion's f.a. status and what's up. I offered no opinion on him, just posted a link. And you go all hard-core troll. How old are you? Have you had your reading comprehension tested lately?

Let camp and the games begin!

Another tidbit

AP Story On Dion

Last edited:
Tim Duncan is retiring.

In the press release, there were no quotes, he, quite literally, left without saying anything.

The presser is at 1 and it will only be Pop. TD won't even be at the presser.

I'm legitimately sad today.

Tim Duncan is retiring.

In the press release, there were no quotes, he, quite literally, left without saying anything.

Doesn't the timing of this kind of suck for San Antonio? Had Duncan made this decision earlier would they have been able to sign Gasol and still keep Diaw?

Tim Duncan is retiring.

Was just having a text debate with my friend, I could conceivably get Duncan at like #5 all time if I really wanted to. Maybe I'd be pushing it, but maybe not.

I'm 32, Tim Duncan has nearly played in the NBA for as long as I've followed basketball. Throw in his college years, and there's maybe one season where I even knew what basketball really was that Tim Duncan wasn't involved in in a pretty major way.

Tim Duncan is retiring.

Classic Tim. What a player, what a class act. All time great. Been a pleasure.

Doesn't the timing of this kind of suck for San Antonio? Had Duncan made this decision earlier would they have been able to sign Gasol and still keep Diaw?

I don't think so? I'm pretty sure they knew which way he was leaning? But I'd have to crunch the numbers to know for sure. if I'm wrong; well, the Spurs probably owed him at least that so I can't se ehow they mind too much.

Did some quick googling; he did exercise the player option, so I think it's certainly possible.

My favorite player next to Grant Hill and Joe Dumars, TD was everything you would want in a franchise player

The most amazing thing about Tim Duncan is that we know nothing about the guy. He had a nasty divorce years ago but we don't have any real knowledge about the guy. He had that one shaving cream commercial early in his career with David Robinson and I don't remember any else.

Poor guy was stuck on the worst Olympic team the USA put out in 2004. I wish their was a way for him to be included on this year's Olympic squad just to get a gold medal on the way out.

I don't think so? I'm pretty sure they knew which way he was leaning? But I'd have to crunch the numbers to know for sure. if I'm wrong; well, the Spurs probably owed him at least that so I can't se ehow they mind too much.

Did some quick googling; he did exercise the player option, so I think it's certainly possible.

I believe he exercised the player option so that when he retired the NBA would have to pick up the tab. It doesn't hit the Spurs cap. If he didn't exercise it, he would have been a FA and got nothing if he retired, if I understand it correctly.

I believe he exercised the player option so that when he retired the NBA would have to pick up the tab. It doesn't hit the Spurs cap. If he didn't exercise it, he would have been a FA and got nothing if he retired, if I understand it correctly.
Correct he gets a 5 million golden parachute. The Spurs will keep his contract on the books but it doesn't count against their cap and the bill is paid by the NBA.

But I think the question is did they know that before? They had to move Diaw to open up the space for Gasol, maybe they wouldn't have if he retired earlier?

But I think the question is did they know that before? They had to move Diaw to open up the space for Gasol, maybe they wouldn't have if he retired earlier?
Duncan gets paid by exercising his option. The Spurs would have probably preferred he not exercise it but Duncan earned that money and the Spurs don't have to pay it.

How Shaq and Starbury helped C's get under the cap

Last year the Celtics had to renounce players from 15 years ago to get under the cap.

Duncan gets paid by exercising his option. The Spurs would have probably preferred he not exercise it but Duncan earned that money and the Spurs don't have to pay it.

How Shaq and Starbury helped C's get under the cap

Last year the Celtics had to renounce players from 15 years ago to get under the cap.

I get all that, and I don't think they would begrudge him the money at all, I was just wondering how it worked with the timing

I get all that, and I don't think they would begrudge him the money at all, I was just wondering how it worked with the timing

I'm guessing he was planning on retiring, but wanted a chance to confirm after the season.

I believe Diaw was gone regardless of Timmy's decision. They needed to move on Gasol and they obviously had to give Timmy all the time he needed. Plus, Kyle Anderson has been the replacement plan for Diaw since he was drafted.

I actually think they needed him to retire to 1) still get under the cap and 2) pay out the depth they'll need.

I do think that landing Murray at the end of the first round, amazingly, let them have a bit more flexibility since they need depth at guard.

Really wondering what they are going to do for 2017, though. There will be a monster group of FAs and I would think that SAS wants to be players.

I'm guessing he was planning on retiring, but wanted a chance to confirm after the season.

I believe Diaw was gone regardless of Timmy's decision. They needed to move on Gasol and they obviously had to give Timmy all the time he needed. Plus, Kyle Anderson has been the replacement plan for Diaw since he was drafted.

I actually think they needed him to retire to 1) still get under the cap and 2) pay out the depth they'll need.

I do think that landing Murray at the end of the first round, amazingly, let them have a bit more flexibility since they need depth at guard.

Really wondering what they are going to do for 2017, though. There will be a monster group of FAs and I would think that SAS wants to be players.

They might have the room to match on Boban and keep Manu at his cap hold, according to a salary cap guy I follow on twitter.

They should be able to get max room, or close to it, next summer, no? Danny Green might be on the chopping block though. Or, Pau might opt out