NBA playoffs: greatest show on Earth | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

NBA playoffs: greatest show on Earth

Jordan in addition to playing in the much more physical nba played against better competition. The bad boy pistons birds Celtics some really good knicks and pacer teams. Dominque wilkens. Some really good Utah teams.

I know I'm jumping into this late, but as far as this point goes; Lebron beat a 73 win team. Also the quality of play is probably better now than it's ever been.

All that said; I didn't get to watch the game yesterday, what the hell happened here??

Pippen averaged nearly 20 a game in 98 and 17, 7, and 5 in the playoffs. That was his last great season though.

He missed 38 games though, and then in the playoffs shot 42% and 23% from 3. He gutted it out, but he was not himself after that injury.

I have a really hard time believing Jordan would have given up so completely in the 4th like I saw LeBron do today.

Jordan wouldn’t go down taking only 16 shots, I know that. Maybe early on against Detroit or something, but not in his prime and not against a young team missing its two best players. Sometimes you gotta say screw making the “right play” and do it yourself when your team is sucking and you’re the guy. At least go down firing.

Like I said, I barely saw any of the game; any chance Lebron was conserving energy? It's only game 1, not like the series is over.

Like I said, I barely saw any of the game; any chance Lebron was conserving energy? It's only game 1, not like the series is over.

Possible. I fully expect him to put up some of those insane, 40 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists type games, and my money is on them to win the series. Indiana blew them out once too. Until someone in the east beats his team 4 times, I’ll believe that the team he’s on will win the series.

But he certainly had a rough game 1, as did almost all of his teammates.

Always find it funny how many people selectively apply the “makes his teammates better/doesn’t make his teammates better” thing depending on if they like the player or not. For the record, I think it’s largely BS. Of course it’s easier to find your groove playing with someone like LeBron or CP3 vs. a Westbrook or Iverson...but you can’t actually make someone better.

Possible. I fully expect him to put up some of those insane, 40 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists type games, and my money is on them to win the series. Indiana blew them out once too. Until someone in the east beats his team 4 times, I’ll believe that the team he’s on will win the series.

Always find it funny how many people selectively apply the “makes his teammates better/doesn’t make his teammates better” thing depending on if they like the player or not. For the record, I think it’s largely BS. Of course it’s easier to find your groove playing with someone like LeBron or CP3 vs. a Westbrook or Iverson...but you can’t actually make someone better.

Interesting, I don't think I agree. Basketball is very much a game of interaction between teammates, there are definitely some guys who are better at setting role players up to succeed.

So i guess it depends exactly on how you mean it. My default example is always that Mo Williams made the all star team playing with Lebron. Zach Lowe wrote a good piece recently about how well Love and Korver play off each other in the corner. Stuff like that; is that making you better? or you're just getting better results but ultimately the same guy?

His game would have looked a whole lot better yesterday if some of his teammates actually converted their shots. He made some nice passes that ended up bouncing off the back iron. I don't expect that luck to continue for the Celts. Many were wide-open shots that should have converted.

Part of Lebron's greatness is that he is somehow viewed as a guy that makes his teammates better while simultaneously being viewed as a guy that never has adequate help. :rolleyes:

Which would seem to be in conflict, but such is the King's greatness, I guess. :cool:

Part of Lebron's greatness is that he is somehow viewed as a guy that makes his teammates better while simultaneously being viewed as a guy that never has adequate help. :rolleyes:

Which would seem to be in conflict, but such is the King's greatness, I guess. :cool:

I think that's more of a recent (like this year, really) phenomenon, but yes, it is a nice little racket he has going

Interesting, I don't think I agree. Basketball is very much a game of interaction between teammates, there are definitely some guys who are better at setting role players up to succeed.

So i guess it depends exactly on how you mean it. My default example is always that Mo Williams made the all star team playing with Lebron. Zach Lowe wrote a good piece recently about how well Love and Korver play off each other in the corner. Stuff like that; is that making you better? or you're just getting better results but ultimately the same guy?

In particular, I had in mind JR Smith...remember the whole “Melo doesn’t make his teammates better and LeBron does because he’s a better leader” article/story when he contributed to the Cavs title after crapping the bed in the 2013 playoffs with the Knicks?

Is LeBron no longer making him better?

Why did he have his best season in NY in 2013(the same year he sucked in the Pacers series)?

It’s just overblown IMO. JR Smith has always been JR Smith for better or worse, regardless of whose team he’s on. Blaming/crediting the team’s star when JR does especially good or bad is just too much.

Right, that’s kinda what I’m getting at. JR was good help because LeBron made him better because of his amazing “leadership”...what happened to that?

It can’t be both ways.

Sports fans/media get weird when it comes to star players IMO. Too much credit AND too much blame depending on if their team just won or lost.

Boston has a great shot to win this series and I actually think they will. This isn’t Toronto or Indiana. We are talking about a legit NBA franchise here.

In particular, I had in mind JR Smith...remember the whole “Melo doesn’t make his teammates better and LeBron does because he’s a better leader” article/story when he contributed to the Cavs title after crapping the bed in the 2013 playoffs with the Knicks?

Is LeBron no longer making him better?

Why did he have his best season in NY in 2013(the same year he sucked in the Pacers series)?

It’s just overblown IMO. JR Smith has always been JR Smith for better or worse, regardless of whose team he’s on. Blaming/crediting the team’s star when JR does especially good or bad is just too much.

Well Lebron can't overcome JR playing in a day game...

I don't think you can look too much into any one game, guys can have good or bad games. I think if your best player is one of the greatest playmakers in the history of the sport, it does kinda stand to reason other players will do better playing with him than when they don't. (if you look at jr's stats, his 12-13 season really only stands out due to the # of minutes he played

I do agree that star players tend to get a disproportionate share of the credit/blame

I know I'm jumping into this late, but as far as this point goes; Lebron beat a 73 win team. Also the quality of play is probably better now than it's ever been.

All that said; I didn't get to watch the game yesterday, what the hell happened here??
Celtics came out with energy and fire.
They jumped right on Cleveland coming out 21-7 and then 36-18 after one.
Horford was the reason the Celtics offense was on fire he dominated Love and started off 7 for 7 with a couple of 3’s.
Morris defended LeBron about the best anyone could. Cavs couldn’t make a 3 in the first half and Boston just had Morris handle LeBron one on one and didn’t help off giving open looks.
Boston D was as good as it could be.

This will be a legit series I don’t expect it will change who is going to win.

how is draymond so good and so dumb at the same time. his energy is part of his game, but it is sometimes detrimental. how can he not see that? or do the warriors need him to be the guy that is hair trigger?

Can someone explain to me how Scott Foster gets so many high profile games. He’s terrible and a clown.

Can someone explain to me how Scott Foster gets so many high profile games. He’s terrible and a clown.
He helps whomever the league wants to win.
Awful ref.

First half was fun. That being said, typical Warriors in the 3rd. Not really into these playoffs. Officially sick of Golden State.

Doesn’t help that the Eastern Conference Champ is either trash or decimated by injury.

Foster is the equivalent of Ted Valentine in college basketball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom