NBA playoffs: greatest show on Earth | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

NBA playoffs: greatest show on Earth

For some reason the hedge and recover has fallen out of favor. Everybody just switches everything.

It doesn’t make any sense to switch centers onto elite guards. Also doesn’t make sense to switch a little guard onto a KD.

Not everybody can switch everything and guard everyone. I don’t get it.

seems dumb I know . But these coaches know a hell alot more about it than we do. The reason they pretty much switch everything is because the way the game is played now, you cant fight through the screen efficiently enough to prevent a quick three point shot and switching also takes the pic n roll out of the equation. going under screens is a complete no go with guys like KD / Curry / Thompson out there. it's the lesser of the evils

Paul has to be out for a week. That was a hamstring. He can’t play tomorrow.

He should rehab like crazy and hope he can play Monday but I doubt it a lot. He wouldn’t even be 100% next Thursday. At best he could work it out for game 2 of the Finals.

It sucks for him. Eric Gordon and Gerald Green have to step up bigtime in his absence. The Rockets just have to play 7 guys and hope Iggy isn’t healthy.

Harden
Gordon
Ariza
Tucker
Capela
6th Green
New 7th ISO Joe or Ryan Anderson

I doubt he is very effective at all the rest of the series. They're going to need Harden to pull his head out of his ass and are going to need gordon to shoot it better from the arc (he's been doing fine otherwise) and we might have to see some RA..

seems dumb I know . But these coaches know a hell alot more about it than we do. The reason they pretty much switch everything is because the way the game is played now, you cant fight through the screen efficiently enough to prevent a quick three point shot and switching also takes the pic n roll out of the equation. going under screens is a complete no go with guys like KD / Curry / Thompson out there. it's the lesser of the evils

Yeah, not to mention with the way teams are allowed to set moving screens in the NBA, it makes it damn near impossible to get over them too; they'll set the screen at the 3 point line and push you out to damn near halfcourt if you try to go over it lol

That really sucks for Paul. I can't imagine he will be able to play, or play effectively at least, the rest of the series. He's been incredible the last 2 games as well. He really is an all time great

The Warriors have lost 3 games this series; that's as many playoff games as they've lost in the 6 prior playoff series since they added KD.

Man every NBA team is battling injuries right now.
Celtics: Kyrie Irving - knee,
Gordon Hayward - broken ankle
Warriors: Andre Iguodala - knee
Rockets: Chris Paul - hamstring
Cavs: LeBron James - tired

Rachel Nichols and ESPN talking about fatigue for LeBron is embarrassing. Jordan at 35 was playing insane minutes for 1998 Bulls.

Rachel Nichols and ESPN talking about fatigue for LeBron is embarrassing. Jordan at 35 was playing insane minutes for 1998 Bulls.

The announcers back in the 90s always went on and on about MJs extensive minutes and fatigue also. I’ve watched that Game 6 1998 game on YouTube a number of times and Costas wouldn’t stop mentioning how MJ was “running on fumes.”

Man every NBA team is battling injuries right now.
Celtics: Kyrie Irving - knee,
Gordon Hayward - broken ankle
Warriors: Andre Iguodala - knee
Rockets: Chris Paul - hamstring
Cavs: LeBron James - tired

If we're being honest though, Jordan also took 18 months off from basketball. Lebron probably would be a little more fresh right now if he had done that. Just for some perspective, Lebron has already played 5,500 more minutes (regular season and playoffs) than Jordan did in his entire career. At roughly 40 MPG, that's an additional 140 games.

The announcers back in the 90s always went on and on about MJs extensive minutes and fatigue also. I’ve watched that Game 6 1998 game on YouTube a number of times and Costas wouldn’t stop mentioning how MJ was “running on fumes.”
Jordan never made it an issue.
LeBron wants it known and then pretend like he isn’t aware of it.
LeBron cares about that stuff. Jordan would never take a picture of him reading a book in an empty arena so he could be questioned about it later and pretend like it’s real.
LeBron is a top 3 player alltime but he does all this manufactured crap to give himself more praise.

Jordan was just an assassin.

I can understand Knicks fans feeling about Jordan like Celtics fan think of LeBron. Both were foils for alltime greats.

Legit bummed out about Paul. On the verge of making the finals for the first time in his career, really rising to the occasion in game 4 and 5 wins, and he’s probably done for the series. Sucks.

And I don’t see Houston winning without him, unless Harden goes nuts - which given how he’s playing is doubtful.

If we're being honest though, Jordan also took 18 months off from basketball. Lebron probably would be a little more fresh right now if he had done that. Just for some perspective, Lebron has already played 5,500 more minutes (regular season and playoffs) than Jordan did in his entire career. At roughly 40 MPG, that's an additional 140 games.
Jordan went to college for 3 years LeBron was out of HS.
That is the minutes difference.

Jordan left the Bulls at 36.
LeBron is 33 now.

Just look at what happened to Kobe and KG who were HS picks. They started falling down at 35.
It will happen to LeBron eventually.

Legit bummed out about Paul. On the verge of making the finals for the first time in his career, really rising to the occasion in game 4 and 5 wins, and he’s probably done for the series. Sucks.

And I don’t see Houston winning without him, unless Harden goes nuts - which given how he’s playing is doubtful.
Paul's injury might be the blood in the water the Warriors need to stop playing like morons.

LeBron is 33 now.

Just look at what happened to Kobe and KG who were HS picks. They started falling down at 35.

Nitpick, since I was just on the bbref page, Jordan turned 35 in Feb of 98, so he was still 35 when he left.

Anyway, I agree, Lebron will slow down at some point. I am starting to come around to the idea that he's human after all. But the minutes load that he has handled is absolutely incredible to think about. He's already 18th all time in minutes played in the regular season, he's first all time (by 400 minutes already) in playoff minutes played.

I had to do some math here, so I may be off, but I believe Lebron, at age 33, is 11th all time in total minutes played (regular season and playoffs). And he's 86 from cracking the top ten, so that could happen this year.

Last night also cemented why LeBron should be the MVP.

How can you be MVP of the league when your own team chooses the OTHER guard on your own team to run the offense thru in the playoffs.

I thought both Paul and Gordon made the difference for the Rockets last night.

Last night also cemented why LeBron should be the MVP.

How can you be MVP of the league when your own team chooses the OTHER guard on your own team to run the offense thru in the playoffs.

I thought both Paul and Gordon made the difference for the Rockets last night.

Paul was legendary, I really do think he's underrated historically.

LeBron is 33 now.

Bold take here. So far Father Time is 893,396,356,923,724 and 0.

Game 6 LeBron is an awesome LeBron to watch

Paul is a 9 time all NBA defensive player. He's an all time point guard. Somehow overlooked by many. He's still elite.

I texted my friend "Chris Paul is a top x PG of all time. X= ?"

3 maybe? Can you name 3 PG better than Chris Paul?

I have been shocked at the Warriors' performances the last 2 games in the fourth quarter. It's been completely the opposite of what you expect from them. Zero composure or attention to detail. Dumb shots. Lack of situational awareness. Really bad by a team with 4 legit players out there. I thought they would beat Houston in 6 and still think it's possible in 7 but they need to buckle down. Far too "pick-up" like which is exactly what the rockets want. I also give houston credit for physical defense, but the Warriors have hurt themselves at least as much as Houston has hurt them.

Right now, sadly, injuries are huge. Hamstrings are easily tweaked again which is enormous for Paul.

I want the celtics to make tonight a game but they just don't look like a threat in cleveland. I expect the cavs to open up like a 12-3 start and that's it.

Time for Jaylen Brown to create his legacy.

He’s so good. Barely saw any of his play at Cal. He’s so smooth that you forget how explosive he truly his with that 6’7 225 arsenal of his.

Paul is a 9 time all NBA defensive player. He's an all time point guard. Somehow overlooked by many. He's still elite.
I'll go on record and say that I am surprised because he's not the biggest guy in the world and gets banged around a lot and missed a bunch of games that I didn't think he would last this long. Plus early on I thought bigger guards would have their way with him. Needless to say, I have grown to appreciate his talent although I still think he is a whiner and a crybaby, little Chrissy Paul, I do think he is one of the best ever. That's hard for me to type.

Nitpick, since I was just on the bbref page, Jordan turned 35 in Feb of 98, so he was still 35 when he left.

Anyway, I agree, Lebron will slow down at some point. I am starting to come around to the idea that he's human after all. But the minutes load that he has handled is absolutely incredible to think about. He's already 18th all time in minutes played in the regular season, he's first all time (by 400 minutes already) in playoff minutes played.

I had to do some math here, so I may be off, but I believe Lebron, at age 33, is 11th all time in total minutes played (regular season and playoffs). And he's 86 from cracking the top ten, so that could happen this year.

Yeah the mileage already LeBron has traveled and with all of those constant deep playoffs and Finals appearances. Sort of mind-blowing. Many times being a one man team.

You know that Brown, Tatum and/or Morris will get slapped with 2 early fouls...
The NBA better give Scott Foster this game and not game 7.

I feel the Celtics will win game 7 unless we get Kennedy, Foster, Mauer refs.

I texted my friend "Chris Paul is a top x PG of all time. X= ?"

3 maybe? Can you name 3 PG better than Chris Paul?
Magic Johnson
Steph Curry
Isiah Thomas
Depends on how you feel of Oscar Robertson but I would take the first 3 before Paul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom