NBA playoffs: greatest show on Earth | Page 56 | Syracusefan.com

NBA playoffs: greatest show on Earth

Magic Johnson
Steph Curry
Isiah Thomas
Depends on how you feel of Oscar Robertson but I would take the first 3 before Paul.

Magic is a for sure.

Steph is a good one, I love Steph, I was thinking of guys who had completed their careers, so he wasn't in my mind, but yeah, he's better.

Isiah I honestly am not sure. (But I'm biased). Anyway, point being, Chris Paul is awesome

People are blaming KD and Steph for the last two collapses, but after those two and Klay nobody else can score at all for Golden State. Their role players stink.

If Chris Paul is out a few weeks and the Rockets are lucky to win the West.
Would people give the Cavs or Celtics a chance to beat the Rockets?

I think Houston would still be a healthy favorite and think It would be hard for either Boston or Cleveland to win in Houston.

I think Houston would still be a healthy favorite and think It would be hard for either Boston or Cleveland to win in Houston.

I think Cleveland beats Houston even with a healthy Paul... If they sneak by GS and the Cavs win game 7, and Paul is injured for the finals... my nightmare scenario, haha.

I think Cleveland beats Houston even with a healthy Paul... If they sneak by GS and the Cavs win game 7, and Paul is injured for the finals... my nightmare scenario, haha.
Healthy Paul Cleveland loses in 5.

Cleveland’s role players aren’t as consistent on the road. Watch JR and Hill tonight. They will torch the Celtics they don’t play the same way on the road.

If Paul is healthy the Rockets would beat the Cavs easily. If he is hurt then LeBron can go crazy and I think they would win home games.

If Paul doesn't play in the finals I think either east team has a decent chance. Houston still probably the fave though?

People are blaming KD and Steph for the last two collapses, but after those two and Klay nobody else can score at all for Golden State. Their role players stink.

Without Iggy especially, it's somewhat hard to believe how shallow the roster is. They have so many centers on the roster too.

I was reading the piece on this possibly being LeBron’s last home game as a Cav and man they wasted the first pick of the 2013.

The organization had the first pick in 2013 and 2014 and came out of with just Kevin Love.

They could have had the Greek Freak in 2013 which would have been stupid first but still they could have had Oladipo who went 2nd and in 2014 could have Embiid.
Anthony Bennett was such a bad pick.

It’s amazing how they wasted their good luck and only got Kyrie with that 2011 first pick and had to move him for 3 quarters and the 8th pick.

I don't know how bad CP3's hamstring injury is, but it'll have to be pretty bad for him to miss Game 7 in Houston. He will do everything to play I'm sure. Jalen Brown came back fast for Boston after his hamstring injury, but of course I don't know how the 2 injuries compare.

If Paul doesn't play in the finals I think either east team has a decent chance. Houston still probably the fave though?

Without Iggy especially, it's somewhat hard to believe how shallow the roster is. They have so many centers on the roster too.

If it’s Boston and Houston in the finals my money is on Boston. Just a gut feeling.

What happened to Draymonds 3 point shooting? He used to be respectable. That part of his game has regressed.

I was reading the piece on this possibly being LeBron’s last home game as a Cav and man they wasted the first pick of the 2013.

The organization had the first pick in 2013 and 2014 and came out of with just Kevin Love.

They could have had the Greek Freak in 2013 which would have been stupid first but still they could have had Oladipo who went 2nd and in 2014 could have Embiid.
Anthony Bennett was such a bad pick.

It’s amazing how they wasted their good luck and only got Kyrie with that 2011 first pick and had to move him for 3 quarters and the 8th pick.
The "could have drafted" game is just madness, though. I mean there's no way going into that draft anybody could have predicted the gems to be Oladipo, Freak and Gobert. I mean, come on.

Magic is a for sure.

Steph is a good one, I love Steph, I was thinking of guys who had completed their careers, so he wasn't in my mind, but yeah, he's better.

Isiah I honestly am not sure. (But I'm biased). Anyway, point being, Chris Paul is awesome

All-time Player Efficiency Rating: Paul 6th, Isiah 140th
All-time Win Shares: Paul 17th, Isiah 145th
All-time Value over Replacement Player: Paul 13th, Isiah 62nd
All-time MVP shares: Paul 28th, Isiah 87th

Paul has 8 all-NBA appearances vs. 5 for Isiah.

Isiah was never on an all-defensive team in his entire career, Paul was first team all defense 7 times and second team all defense twice.

Paul: normal and likable human being
Isiah: total weirdo

I'm going with CP3.

With Paul injured , I think the warriors are the favorites to advance despite being down 3-2 .. how often can you say that

He’s so good. Barely saw any of his play at Cal. He’s so smooth that you forget how explosive he truly his with that 6’7 225 arsenal of his.

I really want to see him use that explosiveness whenever he ends up being guarded by Korver. There is no way Kyle freakin' Korver should get two blocks on Jaylen Jump through the roof Brown.

With Paul injured , I think the warriors are the favorites to advance despite being down 3-2 .. how often can you say that

I thought they would win even if he’s healthy. They came back from 3-1 against OKC when Durant was there two years ago. They play with a careless ego at times and that comes from Steph IMO.

Isiah was never on an all-defensive team in his entire career, Paul was first team all defense 7 times and second team all defense twice.

I'm going with CP3.

Sure, if you ignore the nut punching...

Korver was playing great defense and is more athletic than people think but, yeah, that shouldn’t happen. Reminded me of some of the weak and awkward takes Brissett would make to the rim.

I really want to see him use that explosiveness whenever he ends up being guarded by Korver. There is no way Kyle freakin' Korver should get two blocks on Jaylen Jump through the roof Brown.

The "could have drafted" game is just madness, though. I mean there's no way going into that draft anybody could have predicted the gems to be Oladipo, Freak and Gobert. I mean, come on.

Even as recently as 10 months ago no one would've called Oladipo a gem. I guess at least you can say most people thought the Bennett pick was a disaster from the jump.

I'm going with CP3.

The big problem the pro Paul argument (which I am on the side of) runs into is the lack of playoff success.

One thing that really stood out to me on your rundown; Isiah didn't get much love at all in the MVP. He finished 5th once, that was his best showing. Plus an 8th and 2 9th. Yet he did make first team all league 3 times.

Also interesting; the Pistons made the finals in 88 and won the title in 89 and 90. Those years Isiah finished 12th, 17th, and 13th in MVP, and didn't make all league. Now granted, the first team backcourt those years was Jordan and Magic, you aren't cracking that, but not even second team? Not even top 10 in MVP?

Meanwhile, CP3 has been in the top 7 (which is higher than every season but one for Isiah) in the MVP 7 times, including 3 times in the top 4, better than Isiah ever did

Even as recently as 10 months ago no one would've called Oladipo a gem. I guess at least you can say most people thought the Bennett pick was a disaster from the jump.

The big problem the pro Paul argument (which I am on the side of) runs into is the lack of playoff success.

One thing that really stood out to me on your rundown; Isiah didn't get much love at all in the MVP. He finished 5th once, that was his best showing. Plus an 8th and 2 9th. Yet he did make first team all league 3 times.

Also interesting; the Pistons made the finals in 88 and won the title in 89 and 90. Those years Isiah finished 12th, 17th, and 13th in MVP, and didn't make all league. Now granted, the first team backcourt those years was Jordan and Magic, you aren't cracking that, but not even second team? Not even top 10 in MVP?

Meanwhile, CP3 has been in the top 7 (which is higher than every season but one for Isiah) in the MVP 7 times, including 3 times in the top 4, better than Isiah ever did
Isiah was better than John Stockton how the heck wasn’t he top 5 MVP back then. I mean who the heck were the second and third All-NBA PGs?

Only Magic was better in that time.

Paul is good but he never scared anyone like Isiah did when it mattered.
Isiah is a top 5 alltime PG.

I asked friends who are pretty tuned into nba about Paul top 5 all time and for roasted

Some names- magic Kidd Nash Stockton Cousy Robertson Westbrook curry isiah kyrie Frazier and... DENNIS JOHNSON

Isiah was better than John Stockton how the heck wasn’t he top 5 MVP back then. I mean who the heck were the second and third All-NBA PGs?

Only Magic was better in that time.

Paul is good but he never scared anyone like Isiah did when it mattered.
Isiah is a top 5 alltime PG.

They didn't start the third team until 1989. In 88 the guards were Stockton/Clyde.

In 89 it was Stockton/Kevin Johnson and Dale Ellis/Mark Price! The next year was Stockton/Johnson again and Dumars/Clyde.

It's kind of stunning the lack of awards Isiah had.

You don't think the Warriors were scared of Paul the last two games? He also hit a game 7 winning shot against the Spurs a few years ago

They didn't start the third team until 1989. In 88 the guards were Stockton/Clyde.

In 89 it was Stockton/Kevin Johnson and Dale Ellis/Mark Price! The next year was Stockton/Johnson again and Dumars/Clyde.

It's kind of stunning the lack of awards Isiah had.
You don't think the Warriors were scared of Paul the last two games? He also hit a game 7 winning shot against the Spurs a few years ago
Chris Paul lost game 7 at home to the Utah Jazz last year.
His team also blew a 3-2 lead against Houston in 2015.
The guy hasn’t had postseason success.

I remember game 7 against San Antonio at home in 2008 with New Orleans.

He is an alltime great but he isn’t full of postseason success.
Isiah had one the biggest blunders in NBA history 1987 game 5 ECF pass stolen by Bird and they lost that series in 1987.
He came back in 1988 and beat Boston before spraining his ankle in game 6 of the Finals. A crap call that gave Kareem 2 FTs won the Lakers that title and Isiah came back in 1989 and won back to back titles.

Last edited:
Chris Paul lost game 7 at home to the Utah Jazz last year.
His team also blew a 3-2 lead against Houston in 2015.
The guy hasn’t had postseason success.

I remember game 7 against San Antonio at home in 2008 with New Orleans.

He is an alltime great but he isn’t full of postseason success.
Isiah had one the biggest blunders in NBA history 1987 game 5 ECF pass stolen by Bird and they lost that series in 1987.
He came back in 1988 and beat Boston before spraining his ankle in game 6 of the Finals. A crap call that gave Kareem 2 FTs won the Lakers that title and Isiah came back in 1989 and won back to back titles.

For sure, I said above the lack of playoff success is a knock on Paul. But he's had some great playoff moments. Its not all been bad

Boston has played well but down 5. They just cannot win on the road. They almost have to play completely error free. Impossible especially when your team has so much youth.

So frustrating to watch this.

LeBron can’t not complain.
It’s so frustrating. You get every call.
Stop complaining about everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom