NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 119 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

Man, the Blair and Faried rankings. The Blair one especially brings me back. Guy was such a beast in college.

League changed so much. And Blair had a horrible knee if I recall. In another era, with good health, he’s probably one of those perennial 17 and 10 guys.

Farried too. Guy went from a great contributor to “outdated” seemingly overnight. I remember accidentally catching him in a summer league game at a bar with my brother and we were both in awe. Guy was dunking everything in sight, rebounding, hustling all over...just a step ahead of everyone athleticism and hustle wise. He was a player...in another era that didn’t require it’s 4’s to be ball handlers and perimeter threats.

I was obsessed with Kenneth Faried. I vividly remember trading for him in 2K and developing him into a post-scoring god to go along with his absurd rebounding too lol.

He was so much fun. I was literally bummed out when the game phased him out.

League changed so much. And Blair had a horrible knee if I recall. In another era, with good health, he’s probably one of those perennial 17 and 10 guys.

Farried too. Guy went from a great contributor to “outdated” seemingly overnight. I remember accidentally catching him in a summer league game at a bar with my brother and we were both in awe. Guy was dunking everything in sight, rebounding, hustling all over...just a step ahead of everyone athleticism and hustle wise. He was a player...in another era that didn’t require it’s 4’s to be ball handlers and perimeter threats.

I think another thing that killed Faried (and many other players like him) is that teams eventually figured out that being a great rebounder and hustling like crazy doesn't mean you're a good defensive player. He went from being perceived as a hustle guy/good defender to just a hustle guy and that's just a lot less valuable. Same thing happened to Tristan Thompson.

This might be blasphemous, but I love these 10 hour days of NBA. It's March Madness-esque for me.

It’s amazing. And that was before the playoffs started. Now that the playoffs are here, I kinda think, and I don’t say this lightly at all, that when we get back to “normal” I’m gonna be waxing poetically about that year(I hope) when the playoffs were held in the bubble. This on its own is amazing, if you ignore all the other BS that caused it.

I think another thing that killed Faried (and many other players like him) is that teams eventually figured out that being a great rebounder and hustling like crazy doesn't mean you're a good defensive player. He went from being perceived as a hustle guy/good defender to just a hustle guy and that's just a lot less valuable. Same thing happened to Tristan Thompson.

But I think that’s related to teams playing guys at the 4 who in past years would’ve been 3s, based on offensive skills.

He could’ve guarded the “old school” 4s, just fine.

This might be blasphemous, but I love these 10 hour days of NBA. It's March Madness-esque for me.
Apparently the game hours have lead to quite a bump in European gambling on the games so much so NBA may work some more afternoon action in the future

Oops.
Orlando are the kings of game 1 it appears.
Orlando beat Toronto last year in game 1. Toronto won the title.

Milwaukee is going to beat Orlando this series.
If they don’t that is the biggest choke job in NBA history.

I fully expect the Lakers to win in 4 or 5. I'm rooting like all get out for the Blazers and Melo, though.

Also wouldn't mind seeing Dame go for fifty tonight.

Hardaway-Sprewell-Mullin-Owens-Webber

Don Nelson was 25 years ahead of his time. Webber ruined it by not wanting to play Center and demanding a trade.

* I used to bench George Zidek and roll with JR Henderson at center on Coach K for Sega. Edney-Bailey-Obannon-Obannon-Henderson. Visionary.

Last edited:
My betting app has Portland with a 63% to win this game right now.
Just got the Lakers in game +105.
Is their an injury I am missing?

My betting app has Portland with a 63% to win this game right now.
Just got the Lakers in game +105.
Is their an injury I am missing?

If Danny Green keeps throwing up bricks, we probably will lose.

We can’t shoot.

I recall quite a bit of talk about Tatum as well ... Ball was always controversial due to his low Release shot .. fultz form wasn’t an issue then

It would have been stupid for Boston to draft Ball [who was being mocked to then at #3 amidst rumors that the Lakers were going in another direction], when they had a glut of guards -- including a lead guard who played a lot who wasn't a good shooter [Smart]. Drafting a taller version of the same player wouldn't have made sense.

Taking a quality 3, however, made a lot of sense. Especially because Boston's lineup was "weak" at small forward. There were two WF's that year who were projected as high picks, a kid from Kansas who was similarly perimeter challenged and Tatum. Having seen him at Duke, I was vociferous about the C's drafting him. Knew he had the potential to be very good. Didn't expect him to be as great as he is.

Melo's been blown by twice. He's holding his own on the O end tho.

Melo really did himself a favor by using the COVID-19 season postponement to work himself into peak shape. Especially for someone his age -- playing lighter has put an extra bounce in his step.

Melo really did himself a favor by using the COVID-19 season postponement to work himself into peak shape. Especially for someone his age -- playing lighter has put an extra bounce in his step.

Yep, if Bron is blowing by you, so be it, he's Bron. He has not been terrible on D and he has his role on O.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom