NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 125 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

I'm all for advanced stats, but what? Now we are calculating "luck?"
They just call it luck but for example it basically says, Anthony Davis shoots ____% on open shots from this spot on the floor. Tonight, he shot ___%. The difference between the two is the "luck". So essentially, if you account for the quality of the shots and who was taking the shots, the Lakers would generally expect to have scored 139 points last night and instead they scored 93.

They just call it luck but for example it basically says, Anthony Davis shoots ____% on open shots from this spot on the floor. Tonight, he shot ___%. The difference between the two is the "luck". So essentially, if you account for the quality of the shots and who was taking the shots, the Lakers would generally expect to have scored 139 points last night and instead they scored 93.

Yeah I assumed it was calculated similarly to that, but I guess I'm not sure of the value of a stat that basically says if every player shoots their average in these given situations, then they would score X points. Sure, but averages usually aren't accumulated over the course of a season by shooting the same percentage every single night. There are ups and downs each night, and when you are dealing with an entire team's worth of different players with different levels of effectiveness each game, then it makes it even more difficult in my eyes to say they a team is expected to score a certain amount.

Yeah I assumed it was calculated similarly to that, but I guess I'm not sure of the value of a stat that basically says if every player shoots their average in these given situations, then they would score X points. Sure, but averages usually aren't accumulated over the course of a season by shooting the same percentage every single night. There are ups and downs each night, and when you are dealing with an entire team's worth of different players with different levels of effectiveness each game, then it makes it even more difficult in my eyes to say they a team is expected to score a certain amount.

I think the stat has quite a bit of value,

How often do we hear a coach say "We were just not hitting our shots"... but often times the issue was moreso the difficulty of the shots you were taking. This stat will at least tell a bit more of the truth when that comment is made.

And that is important going forward from a strategy perspective (i.e. you lost, but how much do you need to change or keep doing) -- that being said like any modern stat you have to balance it with other factors that are more subjective.

How often do we hear a coach say "We were just not hitting our shots"... but often times the issue was moreso the difficulty of the shots you were taking. This stat will at least tell a bit more of the truth when that comment is made.

And that is important going forward from a strategy perspective (i.e. you lost, but how much do you need to change or keep doing) -- that being said like any modern stat you have to balance it with other factors that are more subjective.

Right the idea is there is a difference between missing a lot of shots you normally make and not even getting those shots in the first place because the defense is forcing you off your spots

Yep. And that's precisely why I found it. The Athletic put out an article about how much the Lakers and Bucks need to change things after Game 1 and used that stat as part of the writer's support for saying the Lakers don't need to change their approach. They just need to suck less.

For the Bucks he basically said the Bucks flat out aren't playing like themselves right now and need to figure out how to revert back to what worked all year whereas the Lakers essentially played their game against Portland but simply missed shots they usually make.

The Lakers obviously need some offensive help right now, but I wonder if they aren't interested in sacrificing defense for offense. They did just hold a Portland team that has averaged 126 ppg in the bubble to 100 points. Dion or JR would definitely give you more offensive options, but are they providing you a net positive with their play on the other end? Losing 125-120 isn't much better than losing 100-93.

This.

They held Lillard to 10 second half points. They aren’t playing Waiters over Caruso/KCP. The D was very good. They couldn’t shoot and LeBron and AD choked at the FT line.

Series could go either way. I expect the Lakers to have a hot shooting game. I also expect Lillard to drop 80.

They need to play AD at the 5, as others have said. I know he doesn't like playing there, but if you're aiming to win a title, you got to put your team in the best position to win. He's not exactly banging against Hakeem or Ewing or Shaq. Get down there and punish them.

Is Rondo expected to return this week? Won’t discount his impact in allowing Lebron to do what he needs to do.

Is Rondo expected to return this week? Won’t discount his impact in allowing Lebron to do what he needs to do.
Rondo can’t shoot. The Lakers issues are they can’t shoot.Their first quarter struggles were because they couldn’t make a three point shot.

Rondo can’t shoot. The Lakers issues are they can’t shoot.Their first quarter struggles were because they couldn’t make a three point shot.
Lebron’s still good enough to take over the series with AD if someone like Kuz/Dion/etc. have a great game to edge one too. Think Rondo’s playmaking and transition abilities help take a little pressure off Lebron to focus on getting everyone else going. Lebron needs to be scoring over 30 points a game this series.

KCP and Danny Green were why the Lakers lost last night.

The Blazers aren’t bums but they aren’t winning this series.

I still think the Lakers win, but if you are relying on KCP and Danny Green to be the difference in a series... well, you're relying on KCP and Danny Green to be the difference in a series.

I wouldn't expect the Blazers to score 100 each game either. I think they score closer to 110 every game.

I wouldn't expect the Blazers to score 100 each game either. I think they score closer to 110 every game.

115 ppg on the season. 125 ppg in the eight bubble games. We saw what the Lakers "shooting luck" was for that game. Curious what it was for the Blazers as well, if it's a stat we are going to value.

The Lakers do have one of the best defenses in the league. Of course, the Blazers have one of the best offenses in the league. So here we are

A very simple (so obviously not exhaustive at all) way to look at it would be to say Portland shot 13-34 from 3 and the Lakers shot 5-32, and one of those is a lot less likely to repeat in game 2 than the other

115 ppg on the season. 125 ppg in the eight bubble games. We saw what the Lakers "shooting luck" was for that game. Curious what it was for the Blazers as well, if it's a stat we are going to value.

I at least want to see one Bron game where he has like 40, 20, 10. I want to see one Dame game where he goes for 55 or so.

This should be a fun series. Just need AD to wake up.

NBA is dying, guys.

Oh wait, they were, by far, the most watched thing on TV by the key demo.

That being said. Lebron is still THEE draw. Portland/Lakers did double the first game.

LOL. I’ve heard people repeat that whole “NBA ratings are down because of the kneeling and the Jersey messages.” Like a bunch of parrots. Many can’t even be bothered to do basic fact checking anymore.

LOL. I’ve heard people repeat that whole “NBA ratings are down because of the kneeling and the Jersey messages.” Like a bunch of parrots. Many can’t even be bothered to do basic fact checking anymore.
These NBA playoffs are awesome. I love no travel and no home court advantage. Levels the playing field. That said I could watch Gobert vs Jokic for 82 games. Incredible intensity.

i have NBA jams and the 40th anniverary pac man (which includes galaga)...
they are a bargain if you ask me...full arcade experience at fraction of the cost...they play exactly like the original programming.
Don't really have 400 to drop on the arcade game. But anyone know why they didn't remaster NBA jam for ps4? They would have made a fortune.

Denver shooting 47 percent from the field .. 48 from 3 ... only 9 turnovers .. and losing by 20 with a minute left

This.

They held Lillard to 10 second half points. They aren’t playing Waiters over Caruso/KCP. The D was very good. They couldn’t shoot and LeBron and AD choked at the FT line.

Series could go either way. I expect the Lakers to have a hot shooting game. I also expect Lillard to drop 80.

Eh, there’s two ends. You can’t have two guys playing that many minutes and producing literally nothing, except making Dame work for his 30.

Dion is a capable defender.

That said, KCP is inconsistent - which means he’ll probably (hopefully) have doubles and hit 3 3’s next game.

Caruso is valuable for his defense and hustle but that only goes so far in a game where you can’t score. He doesn’t always need to be out there that much.

Nothing more annoying than local announcers who say “we” or “us” in describing their own team.
Brian Scalabrene sucks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom