NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 157 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

They’ll continue to cover the players, especially if they’re heavily involved in protests and meeting with government officials.
Will they? I heard Kyrie Irving's name for the first time tonight since he said players should stay home to have their voice heard. If they don't play, there is no one to listen to them. Even if the media covers what they say, who is paying attention to them?

Will they? I heard Kyrie Irving's name for the first time tonight since he said players should stay home to have their voice heard. If they don't play, there is no one to listen to them. Even if the media covers what they say, who is paying attention to them?
If the players don’t want to play then the games aren’t played.

The NBA is a partnership. The players may not own the teams if they don’t want to play the games won’t go on.
Now the sport will be damaged there is no question about that.
It’s the players right to not play. The owners aren’t going to force them to play.

I really don’t know what the players can get out of this as I don’t think the changes they want can happen that quickly. With this said I think we as fans have to shut up let them not to play and support their feelings.
Move on to the future.

Out of sight, out of mind.

The Kenny Smith walkout was rather cringe. Just my opinion
I thought it was self-serving. Why come on to just walk off oh because Kenny is and has been trying to find his way inside a franchise for a few years now.

Who along with Irving, Melo and HIll were questioning starting the season at all? LBJ was among those saying playing would further the cause correct? Either way the divide in that room has to be real and there has to be "I told you so" rumblings.
Also I will get flamed for this but I don't buy the altruistic nature of all the players. Truth serum I think would show A they want to play because they need the money and B they have a chance to win a title. I think they all take a the rest of the week off and resume play Monday with an action statement that will make them feel better about themselves, but having no real impact while allowing them to pursue $ and rings.

It's pretty simple to me on what can happen. Whether you agree with it or not is your own opinion.

NBA players boycott or decide to leave the bubble and go home. No more NBA.

"Don't they have more of a voice if they play? Being on camera sure could help!"

The NBA is entertainment for people. Just like all sports are entertainment. Players know that. They know if they "shut up and dribble" or even speak out and dribble, at the end of the day many people will just be watching for the entertainment.

So they leave. They force the hands of the owners. Last I checked you roughly have 30 billionaires who own these NBA teams.

You know who has a much greater impact on the world we live in than NBA players? Rich owners.

If I'm the players that's exactly what I'm trying to do. You want change in the world? It's the billionaires who can influence your local and state governments.

Being on the camera and wearing a Black Lives Matter shirt ... clearly hasn't worked. IMO this would be a much better option

Who along with Irving, Melo and HIll were questioning starting the season at all? LBJ was among those saying playing would further the cause correct? Either way the divide in that room has to be real and there has to be "I told you so" rumblings.
Also I will get flamed for this but I don't buy the altruistic nature of all the players. Truth serum I think would show A they want to play because they need the money and B they have a chance to win a title. I think they all take a the rest of the week off and resume play Monday with an action statement that will make them feel better about themselves, but having no real impact while allowing them to pursue $ and rings.

Off the top of my head, Dwight Howard was definitely questioning it. Alsacs would probably know more than me but I feel like Jaylen Brown might have been skeptical about it. And I think the Portland Trail Blazers voted against going to the bubble at all, but I think that was more about thinking it was a waste of time rather than the social justice aspect.

Last night Dennis Scott was asked "What do the players expect to get out of this? What can they get out of this?" Scott's answer was perhaps the most honest I've heard..."I have no idea." The NBA donated $300 Million, that didn't stop Jacob Blake from getting shot. They put "Black Lives Matter" on their jerseys and on the court. That didn't stop the shooting in Lafayette, LA. If the players expect that they can exert influence on their local and state governments because they are NBA players I think they have a lesson in humility coming. The most truthful statement I've read is that the "NBA is entertainment." Agree 100%. And guess what happens when something no longer entertains me. I move on to something else. I don't worry about why the NBA isn't entertaining me anymore. The only thing that really matters is they are not. I don't watch the NBA to find out players political beliefs or their personal feelings about anything. If they, like other celebrities want to shout and protest and boycott I have zero problem with that. I 100% support their right to do that. I probably agree with 90+% of what they believe. Just don't expect me to be paying attention.

Last night Dennis Scott was asked "What do the players expect to get out of this? What can they get out of this?" Scott's answer was perhaps the most honest I've heard..."I have no idea." The NBA donated $300 Million, that didn't stop Jacob Blake from getting shot. They put "Black Lives Matter" on their jerseys and on the court. That didn't stop the shooting in Lafayette, LA. If the players expect that they can exert influence on their local and state governments because they are NBA players I think they have a lesson in humility coming. The most truthful statement I've read is that the "NBA is entertainment." Agree 100%. And guess what happens when something no longer entertains me. I move on to something else. I don't worry about why the NBA isn't entertaining me anymore. The only thing that really matters is they are not. I don't watch the NBA to find out players political beliefs or their personal feelings about anything. If they, like other celebrities want to shout and protest and boycott I have zero problem with that. I 100% support their right to do that. I probably agree with 90+% of what they believe. Just don't expect me to be paying attention.
I think Alsacs said it best. The players realize that local and state governments won't listen to them. But they absolutely will listen to the billionaire owners who donate large sums of money to the politicians in the states where they operate.

The NBA players can exert their influence to get their fans out to vote. That's something they can do and will continue to work on.

I think Alsacs said it best. The players realize that local and state governments won't listen to them. But they absolutely will listen to the billionaire owners who donate large sums of money to the politicians in the states where they operate.

The NBA players can exert their influence to get their fans out to vote. That's something they can do and will continue to work on.
Vote for what?

In the upcoming elections. Really?
Oh I get it. But it seems that really, local and state elections matter most for things like this. Clearly voting is important so I understand the nba players pushing it , but I ask... is this going to just stop because Joe Biden is the president?

Oh I get it. But it seems that really, local and state elections matter most for things like this. Clearly voting is important so I understand the nba players pushing it , but I ask... is this going to just stop because Joe Biden is the president?
Not at all, and not what I was saying. This will stop (or at least start the process) when we get new politicians elected locally who choose to hold police unions accountable.

Not at all, and not what I was saying. This will stop (or at least start the process) when we get new politicians elected locally who choose to hold police unions accountable.
For sure... local is really important. We can’t get people out to vote for something as simple as the president in a 2 candidate race, so I have a hard time seeing how they are going to read up on their local officials.

Too much politics in this thread but we know this has been an issue for a long time. Not just since DJT.

Too much politics in this thread but we know this has been an issue for a long time. Not just since DJT.
That’s why I tied in the nba players. They are advocating to vote as they should.

District Attorneys need to be pushed out. They are a huge issue. So are our local laws in general. Also people need to move to states where they are treated fairly. If Alabama and Wisconsin is going to have backwoods laws I wish there was opportunity for poorer minorities to move.

Last edited:
If the players expect that they can exert influence on their local and state governments because they are NBA players I think they have a lesson in humility coming.
I don't know if I have an issue with the sentiment, or specifically how you worded it as a "lesson in humility," but I have an issue with this.

The problem with this is that the local politicians that they support are already in charge in many of the cities where this is occurring and that have the most problems. And have been in charge for decades.

Off the top of my head, Dwight Howard was definitely questioning it. Alsacs would probably know more than me but I feel like Jaylen Brown might have been skeptical about it. And I think the Portland Trail Blazers voted against going to the bubble at all, but I think that was more about thinking it was a waste of time rather than the social justice aspect.

Lou Williams. I think there were a few Clippers?

Billionaire owners can influence things. Players are trying to put the pressure on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom