NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 159 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

Capt. Tuttle obviously you're more conservative than I am, but I just ask why is the NBA the only enterprise that has to answer to China? Every other major industry in our country was selling out to the Chinese long before them? Base on that your rebuttal seems a bit hollow and I am not trying to attack. I am just having a debate. Literally nobody cared about China until the NBA was involved.
For me, its when people start bashing America's ills regarding human rights, which are real, but on a world wide basis far down the list as these things go, and then turn around and hop back into bed with China, which may be at the forefront of human rights abuses. Either you are against abusive conditions or you are not.
Bashing a country as a whole, for incidents which are inflicted by local authorities (not representative of the US government), and then defending and cowering to a government which exists to extinguish individual human rights, is the height of hypocrisy.
As I said, it is not an either or issue for me, but don't tell us you are taking a stand for human rights, but then go line your pocket with money made from the abuse of human rights. Just don't be hypocrites.

Hypocrisy bothers me. For instance, don't say you are against abortion, but not in case of rape or incest. Why? Is that unborn child less of a human being because of the circumstances of conception?

Don't tell me that a woman has the right to do what she wants with her body (abortion), but that she can't be a sex worker, ingest or inject drugs, or sell her organs.

Last edited:
I've got a feeling he doesn't actually believe they're doing anything related to China.
Our job, as individuals, is not to give to causes to change China, as they will have zero impact. However, the NBA not doing business with China will have an impact. LBJ not wearing shoes made in China will have an impact. He's VERY pro-China, and anti -Trump. I am sure he has some connections with Nike/China.

For me, its when people start bashing America's ills regarding human rights, which are real, but on a world wide basis far down the list as these things go, and then turn around and hop back into bed with China, which may be at the forefront of human rights abuses. Either you are against abusive conditions or you are not.
Bashing a country as a whole, for incidents which are inflicted by local authorities (not representative of the US government), and then defending and cowering to a government which exists to extinguish individual human rights, is the height of hypocrisy.
As I said, it is not an either or issue for me, but don't tell us you are taking a stand for human rights, but then go line your pocket with money made from the abuse of human rights. Just don't be hypocrites.

I mean that’s fine, but it still didn’t address the fact that only the NBA gets attacked for this. Most other industry/billionaire/millionaire have become wealthy off China and there’s not nearly the outrage. Our president has completed numerous real estate deals and constructed hotels himself there yet he Roy Cohn’s himself out of it. If we are going to be this specific it should be this way across the board, but the US investor class is never going to stop doing business with China. Both of us know that.

Last edited:
There are some people criticizing them for sitting out in the first place, which is just stupid IMO.

They are already in a bubble which causes stress, there is anger and there is tension. All of us are guilty of making decisions in tense situations, that we sometimes are able to reverse or wish we could have reversed upon reflection.

I'm not sure what were the right decisions at the time -- there was no perfectly right decision here -- but the players should be afforded respect for the choices they are making
These guys are getting paid a fortune to play a game. There bubble consists of four star dining and staying in luxury suites. You know who's stressed right now. The guy guy who's business is tanking because of covid. Or the guy who's on unemployment wondering when his next paycheck is coming.

These guys are getting paid a fortune to play a game. There bubble consists of four star dining and staying in luxury suites. You know who's stressed right now. The guy guy who's business is tanking because of covid. Or the guy who's on unemployment wondering when his next paycheck is coming.

By this logic you would have been against the Boston Tea Party too.

They are paid to do a lot more than just play the games.

You know all those individuals (players, business owners, workers) can be stressed right to certain degrees? It doesn't have to be one or the other to fit your agenda.

I don't care how rich you are, being away from your wife, children, friends and family for now about 2 months and for potentially another six weeks is stressful. All I said was it was situation with stress. Are you saying there should be no stress?

I mean...anybody can be stressed and go through mental struggles.

You know all those individuals (players, business owners, workers) can be stressed right to certain degrees? It doesn't have to be one or the other to fit your agenda.

I don't care how rich you are, being away from your wife, children, friends and family for now about 2 months and for potentially another six weeks is stressful. All I said was it was situation with stress. Are you saying there should be no stress?
I'm not saying there's no stress but it's not the same as others in this country are facing. These athletes still have it pretty darn good.

Good one lol. No I was for the revolution before the French/Indian war ever started.

How do you think things change? There’s casualties in every aspect of business when decisions are made by employees and management. It’s not just basketball. The blame lies with politicians who support selective law enforcement.

How do you think things change? There’s casualties in every aspect of business when decisions are made by employees and management. It’s not just basketball. The blame lies with politicians.
We all know where the blame lies boycotting these games aren't going to change that. The best thing they can do is play and use their platform to talk about reform. Doc Rivers speech the other day resonated all over the country. That doesn't happen if they weren't in this bubble.

So basically the nba players themselves are not pushing for the changes, they are pushing the people who can actually make the changes to make the changes?

These players have an unbelievable platform and I am all for them to use it. It’s great stuff. But just because you have that platform doesn’t mean everything you say or do is “right” (clearly subjective a lot of the time). Having extreme visibility doesn’t mean you have all the answers or always differentiate the rights from the wrongs.

they’re mostly asking for pretty reasonable policy changes such as end to no knock warrants and limits on military surplus sales to police departments... these are tangible , changeable policies that most people I believe can get behind

Hypocrisy bothers me. For instance, don't say you are against abortion, but not in case of rape or incest. Why? Is that unborn child less of a human being because of the circumstances of conception?

Don't tell me that a woman has the right to do what she wants with her body (abortion), but that she can't be a s e x worker, ingest or inject drugs, or sell her organs.

you take most angst at injustice you yourself suffer or see directly ... it’s only natural ..

But wait Stan - I thought silence was violence?

I guess oppression is ok as long as you’re the one benefiting.

Have any of the players called for peace in the streets of America?

But wait Stan - I thought silence was violence?

I guess oppression is ok as long as you’re the one benefiting.

Have any of the players called for peace in the streets of America?

are you for real? if your brother got shot in the back seven times by idiot cops, would you be calling for peace or justice?

are you for real? if your brother got shot in the back seven times by idiot cops, would you be calling for peace or justice?
Dead serious. What if it was your son?

What if it was your son making five cents a day so that he can sew the LBJ crown label on a Nike sneaker in a Chinese sweat shop so that “oppressed” Lebron can get his $X million dollar contract from Nike?

Would you call out the hypocrisy then Steve?

Dead serious. What if it was your son?

What if it was your son making five cents a day so that he can sew the LBJ crown label on a Nike sneaker in a Chinese sweat shop so that “oppressed” Lebron can get his $X million dollar contract from Nike?

Would you call out the hypocrisy then Steve?

I’ve never heard you speak out about China in any other industry. Interesting.

I’ve never heard you speak out about China in any other industry. Interesting.
It was funny... I wanted to reply to Cpt Tut’s comment today that “he hates hypocrisy.” I wanted to tell him that he was talking with ppl that have no problem with it.

And let’s be real for a second you know where I stand on police behavior, police brutality, sentence reform. We’ve had the conversation a million times.

If Steve or anyone else thinks that calling for peace is the wrong thing to do... I mean I just can’t even finish the sentence... it’s disgusting and disturbing beyond my comprehension as a human.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom