NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 158 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

So basically the nba players themselves are not pushing for the changes, they are pushing the people who can actually make the changes to make the changes?

These players have an unbelievable platform and I am all for them to use it. It’s great stuff. But just because you have that platform doesn’t mean everything you say or do is “right” (clearly subjective a lot of the time). Having extreme visibility doesn’t mean you have all the answers or always differentiate the rights from the wrongs.

I think where this will land is that the playoffs will continue in a few days. The players succeeded in disruption and awareness. The people that they want listening are. The players are also aware that there are significant financial implications of what happens next. The social change faction will realize they'll be better off with the platform and financial resources to affect change, and the players that aren't as engaged on the social issues and just want to compete/get paid will go along.

So basically the nba players themselves are not pushing for the changes, they are pushing the people who can actually make the changes to make the changes?

These players have an unbelievable platform and I am all for them to use it. It’s great stuff. But just because you have that platform doesn’t mean everything you say or do is “right” (clearly subjective a lot of the time). Having extreme visibility doesn’t mean you have all the answers or always differentiate the rights from the wrongs.
I mean, so what?

Of course they're going to get stuff wrong. It doesn't matter. People are getting stuff wrong all over the place.

Progress isn't a straight line. It's messy, hills and valleys. You don't get the hills without trying something different though.

I understand their grievances and support the protesting, but the interesting thing here is the NBA is already providing them an unprecedented platform to display their protesting and messages during games. Tens of millions of people watch these games. Are they making a bigger impact refusing this stage by protesting inside/outside the bubble? Or by playing and reconfiguring their message for the world to see?

Adam Silver’s all but given them the keys

I mean, so what?

Of course they're going to get stuff wrong. It doesn't matter. People are getting stuff wrong all over the place.

Progress isn't a straight line. It's messy, hills and valleys. You don't get the hills without trying something different though.
No doubt. What makes LeBron James’ opinion more valid than yours or mine?

I understand their grievances and support the protesting, but the interesting thing here is the NBA is already providing them an unprecedented platform to display their protesting and messages during games. Tens of millions of people watch these games. Are they making a bigger impact refusing this stage by protesting inside/outside the bubble? Or by playing and reconfiguring their message for the world to see?

Adam Silver’s all but given them the keys
If they boycott the rest of the playoffs in a few days no one will care. If they play and use their platform people will listen.

I don't know what an effective response would be. One thought I had was to just sit the first 7 minutes (7 shots reported) of the 1st quarter, while the cameras were on. 7 minutes of live TV with no action is a long time.

There is ALWAYS more to the story than the active narrative, but this seems close to becoming epidemic.
The cynic in me wishes the NBA was as concerned, or more concerned, about black on black inner city violence, where they could save the lives of many more young black adults.

These are not one-or-the-other issues, but should both be addressed by African Americans in positions of influence, as should out of wedlock births and education.

Not to run too far afield, but when the players peddling Nike shoes made in China are talking about suppression and violence against minorities, it loses a bit of steam for me.

Last edited:
I don't know what an effective response would be. One thought I had was to just sit the first 7 minutes (7 shots reported) of the 1st quarter, while the cameras were on.

There is ALWAYS more to the story than the active narrative, but this seems close to becoming epidemic.
The cynic in me wishes the NBA was as concerned, or more concerned, about black on black inner city violence, where they could save the lives of many more young black adults.
They are a sports league they aren't Government they only can do so much.

I don't know what an effective response would be. One thought I had was to just sit the first 7 minutes (7 shots reported) of the 1st quarter, while the cameras were on. 7 minutes of live TV with no action is a long time.

These are not one-or-the-other issues, but should both be addressed by African Americans in positions of influence, as should out of wedlock births and education.

Well the guy who leads BLM in Syracuse is I know that. It’s all tied together. You can’t fix one without the other. I happen to think some people want the crime so it helps keep people oppressed and provides welfare to the justice system through police, lawyers and judges.

There are some people criticizing them for sitting out in the first place, which is just stupid IMO.

They are already in a bubble which causes stress, there is anger and there is tension. All of us are guilty of making decisions in tense situations, that we sometimes are able to reverse or wish we could have reversed upon reflection.

I'm not sure what were the right decisions at the time -- there was no perfectly right decision here -- but the players should be afforded respect for the choices they are making

Not to run too far afield, but when the players peddling Nike shoes made in China are talking about suppression and violence against minorities, it loses a bit of steam for me.
I hate this whole nonsense with China. It's so not important to this discussion.

Capt. Tuttle obviously you're more conservative than I am, but I just ask why is the NBA the only enterprise that has to answer to China? Every other major industry in our country was selling out to the Chinese long before them? Base on that your rebuttal seems a bit hollow and I am not trying to attack. I am just having a debate. Literally nobody cared about China until the NBA was involved.

Last edited:
Capt. Tuttle obviously you're more conservative than I am, but I just ask why is the NBA the only enterprise that has to answer to China? Every other major industry in our country was selling out to the Chinese long before them? Base on that your rebuttal seems a bit hollow and I am not trying to attack. I am just having a debate. Literally nobody cared about China until the NBA was involved.

It’s a stock conservative talking point when taking shots at LeBron/the NBA. As Stan Van Gundy said on the LeBatard show today, he had no idea how many people in this country are concerned about people in China.

It’s a stock conservative talking point when taking shots at LeBron/the NBA. As Stan Van Gundy said on the LeBatard show today, he had no idea how many people in this country are concerned about people in China.

I've asked this question about 10 times since October and nobody further right of me has yet to give me an answer I could live with. I thought we were supposed to be "America First"?

There are some people criticizing them for sitting out in the first place, which is just stupid IMO.

They are already in a bubble which causes stress, there is anger and there is tension. All of us are guilty of making decisions in tense situations, that we sometimes are able to reverse or wish we could have reversed upon reflection.

I'm not sure what were the right decisions at the time -- there was no perfectly right decision here -- but the players should be afforded respect for the choices they are making
I think the bubble is why LeBron wanted to end the season. That is a very stressful situation and place to be.

It’s harder than we realize. It’s been reported at the meeting to decide to resume the season that LeBron didn’t open his mouth he let the others decide which is admirable. I am not of LeBron James because his teams and mine have been rivals for a lot of his career but you got to respect the man he is and he puts money where his mouth is.

I am not going to be upset if this season just gets scrapped the mental health from being in the bubble will affect next year.

I've asked this question about 10 times since October and nobody further right of me has yet to give me an answer I could live with. I thought we were supposed to be "America First"?

They sit around and look for “gotcha” chances to “get teh libs”. There’s zero substance to them.

I think the bubble is why LeBron wanted to end the season. That is a very stressful situation and place to be.

It’s harder than we realize. It’s been reported at the meeting to decide to resume the season that LeBron didn’t open his mouth he let the others decide which is admirable. I am not of LeBron James because his teams and mine have been rivals for a lot of his career but you got to respect the man he is and he puts money where his mouth is.

I am not going to be upset if this season just gets scrapped the mental health from being in the bubble will affect next year.

I have to believe bubble fatigue has frayed a lotta players’ nerves. Maybe that will change some now that family members are being allowed in the bubble.

And, as for LeBron, this tweet is spot on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom