NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 204 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

The rumor is really that Harden forced the trade because he and CP3 couldn't get along anymore. Westbrook isn't as anti-Morey as you'd think. More than anything else, Morey's philosophy is to accumulate as many stars as possible and then figure it out from there.

At any rate, it was just a horrendous trade. It still blows my mind that they gave up multiple first round picks to swap CP3 for Westbrook.

At the end of last year Paul was considered the worst big$ contract in the league.

It shows how important it is for organizations to keep things in house, and to avoid "fall guys" in order to manage value and retain trade leverage.

The narrative last year was that Paul was the reason the organization was fumbling and Morey really did nothing to really challenge that. Once it got out there that Harden / Paul could no longer co-exist, added to the fact that Paul was slightly injury prone and that Morey was seemingly allowing Paul to be the organizational fall guy, Paul's value was shot.

The Rockets were more in a panic to move Paul than the Thunder to move Westbrook, and accordingly had to give up juice to get him. But even considering the leverage issues, it seemed a few too many extra picks.

With the lottery rules, a few of those swaps could turn out pretty good for OKC. I think I saw that some of the swaps had top 5 protection so it won't be Garnett/Pierce to Brooklyn bad.

I certainly hope the Nuggets win game 7 so it adds more basis to the following.

The Raptors needed Kawhi to win the championship this year
Kawhi needed the Raptors to win the championship.this year.

A team with Lowry/Siakam as 2A/2B is nearly as equipped to win then with Playoff Paul IMO (The Raptors additional strength comes from players 4-8 in the rotation). Yes Siakam was horrible in the playoffs this year -- he had mentally fell apart under the pressure of being the #1 option. That likely would not have happened if he had simply stayed in last year's role.

Ibaka, FVV and Powell as 4th, 5th and 6th options would be top 3 or 4 in the league I would think. Then you round out the team with elite defensive players in Anunoby and Gasol** (**in certain matchups where he could use his smarts... because he can also get burnt in the wrong matchup like we saw with Boston).

I think with the Raptors going 53-19 this year, the stupid asterisk that was added to their title last year is slowly going away. They were a very good team who would have been better than last year if Kawhi had come back, due to a healthy Anunoby and a developing FVV/Powell (and the fact that the vets like Lowry/Ibaka did not step down at all)

I can just imagine a "small ball" lineup with Kawhi / Siakam / Anunoby as the frontcourt -- would be great defensively.

Last edited:
I'll be shocked if the Clippers win game 7 now.

I hope that is the case, but I would be surprised if the Clippers don't win.
The Clips are still pretty good, they have Kawhi, and if the league decides to manage a few calls in the game they will certainly be to get a Lakers / Clippers Semi.

I hope that is the case, but I would be surprised if the Clippers don't win.
The Clips are still pretty good, they have Kawhi, and if the league decides to manage a few calls in the game they will certainly be to get a Lakers / Clippers Semi.

They blew two big leads and have been completely outplayed down the stretch. A lot of their issues look like confidence problems and doc has been out coached in this series. He continues to play certain guys on his bench too much(Harrell), despite them being completely ineffective.

They blew two big leads and have been completely outplayed down the stretch. A lot of their issues look like confidence problems and doc has been out coached in this series. He continues to play certain guys on his bench too much(Harrell), despite them being completely ineffective.

It all seems to make sense. I am trying to protect myself against disappointment -- the Clippers losing in round 2 would be a consolation prize, a small one, for me.

I guess when Harrell calls himself a modern Dennis Rodman, you have to take the good with the bad.

I think Doc's rep is a tad overblown.

At the end of last year Paul was considered the worst big$ contract in the league.

It shows how important it is for organizations to keep things in house, and to avoid "fall guys" in order to manage value and retain trade leverage.

The narrative last year was that Paul was the reason the organization was fumbling and Morey really did nothing to really challenge that. Once it got out there that Harden / Paul could no longer co-exist, added to the fact that Paul was slightly injury prone and that Morey was seemingly allowing Paul to be the organizational fall guy, Paul's value was shot.

The Rockets were more in a panic to move Paul than the Thunder to move Westbrook, and accordingly had to give up juice to get him. But even considering the leverage issues, it seemed a few too many extra picks.

With the lottery rules, a few of those swaps could turn out pretty good for OKC. I think I saw that some of the swaps had top 5 protection so it won't be Garnett/Pierce to Brooklyn bad.

Knowing now how the season has played out so far it’s pretty wild that there was some noise and speculation that CP3 was washed up and would be waived and land with the Lakers. And even crazier to think about now is that people were laughing at that like it would be a huge bust with him and LeBron getting old and be a circus to watch implode.

No idea how close that was to actually happening but an offense with Chris, Bron, and AD would have ball screened teams to death and these playoffs would be a lot less suspenseful.

e
The rumor is really that Harden forced the trade because he and CP3 couldn't get along anymore. Westbrook isn't as anti-Morey as you'd think. More than anything else, Morey's philosophy is to accumulate as many stars as possible and then figure it out from there.

At any rate, it was just a horrendous trade. It still blows my mind that they gave up multiple first round picks to swap CP3 for Westbrook.

Morey doesn't care about stars. He cares about skill sets. obviously those with the best skill sets are stars. however in this case, westbrook is not a fit for their model in any way. he's not an efficient scorer, hasn't been for a while. his only efficient shot is a dunk. now he can't even shoot free throws.

If Denver beats the Clippers the Syracuse alumni not appearing in the NBA Finals streak will end.
Lakers have Dion Waiters.

I got a feeling Kawhi is going to dictate the 2H of this game and the Clips will win. I think he's done suffering fools that talk a lot of stuff but haven't proven anything.

Wouldn't surprise me if Kawhi finishes the Nugs off with like a 40 pt game and ignores Doc for the better part of the 2H.

I got a feeling Kawhi is going to dictate the 2H of this game and the Clips will win. I think he's done suffering fools that talk a lot of stuff but haven't proven anything.

Wouldn't surprise me if Kawhi finishes the Nugs off with like a 40 pt game and ignores Doc for the better part of the 2H.

Doc really needs to cut the rotation down. This isn't the regular season. The bench guys who were great all year have been awful in this series. Lou included. They would be best served playing small to make Jokic guard someone with some speed.

Doc really needs to cut the rotation down. This isn't the regular season. The bench guys who were great all year have been awful in this series. Lou included. They would be best served playing small to make Jokic guard someone with some speed.

They can't have guys that are getting smoked on D at all. Jokic is just so multi-faceted and they are hitting open shots that are coming out of running the O through him (at least it seems like it from my POV).

Pat Bev needs to stop chirping and just play D. If Lou isn't dropping threes, I'm not sure if he's worth having out there at all. Morris has to keep his head on straight.

John Wall, smh. At some point (maybe when you’re 30 and have been a professional athlete for 10 years?) this stuff has gotta stop being cool to you.

And all these dumbasses are still recording everything they do for no real reason, smh. So
glad I’m a little older and didn’t grow up with that dumb stuff. Clowns probably take pictures at strip clubs too. We’re really losing recipes!(c) Michael Irvin

John Wall, smh. At some point (maybe when you’re 30 and have been a professional athlete for 10 years?) this stuff has gotta stop being cool to you.

And all these dumbasses are still recording everything they do for no real reason, smh. So
glad I’m a little older and didn’t grow up with that dumb stuff. Clowns probably take pictures at strip clubs too. We’re really losing recipes!(c) Michael Irvin

I rescind my already crazy Bucks-Wall trade.

If Denver beats the Clippers the Syracuse alumni not appearing in the NBA Finals streak will end.
Lakers have Dion Waiters.
We know that. I’m not sure Vogel does.

We know that. I’m not sure Vogel does.

He actually got hurt in game 2. Groin injury. I don’t think he was available for the rest of the series.

NY Post (and a couple less serious sources) reporting that the Knicks will be pursuing Chris Paul and sounds like they’d likely offer one of Kevin Knox/Frank Ntilikina and a first round pick.

NY Post (and a couple less serious sources) reporting that the Knicks will be pursuing Chris Paul and sounds like they’d likely offer one of Kevin Knox/Frank Ntilikina and a first round pick.

That is so Knicks.

That would a short term stupid trade for the Knicks.
However getting Chris Paul could give them some legitimacy to get future stars with their new management.
But giving up young players and a pick for Paul would be stupid for that franchise.

I have no idea about the cap, but I wonder if this is step one in the hail mary to try to get Giannis to sign. Or, if they have heard they aren't getting Giannis already, then starting to go down the list for the other upcoming FAs.

I have no idea about the cap, but I wonder if this is step one in the hail mary to try to get Giannis to sign. Or, if they have heard they aren't getting Giannis already, then starting to go down the list for the other upcoming FAs.

I think I read an article basically saying if the Knicks get CP3 they can’t get a max slot for Giannis anymore but that may have been mistaken. Do the Knicks really have anyone signed to big money long term? I feel like they could probably carve out space to do it.

But Giannis has said he flat out doesn’t like NYC before and I still can’t imagine that situation being remotely attractive lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom