NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 236 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

And doc had better players and didn’t get as far. Doc had his run in Boston. Brad will figure it out
Doc had an aging KG, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce from 2008-2013.
2008 he won the championship
2009 he lost to the team that won the Eastern conference in the 2nd round in 7 games without KG.
2010 made it to game 7 of the NBA Finals.
2011 he lost to the team that won the Eastern conference in the 2nd round.
2012 he lost to the team that won the NBA title in the Eastern conference Finals in 7 games with game 7 tied to start the 4th quarter.
2013 was the end of era they lost to the Knicks in 6 first round.

Doc didn’t under achieve.
He left because Danny was trading KG and Paul Pierce.

Doc had an aging KG, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce from 2008-2013.
2008 he won the championship
2009 he lost to the team that won the Eastern conference in the 2nd round in 7 games without KG.
2010 made it to game 7 of the NBA Finals.
2011 he lost to the team that won the Eastern conference in the 2nd round.
2012 he lost to the team that won the NBA title in the Eastern conference Finals in 7 games with game 7 tied to start the 4th quarter.
2013 was the end of era they lost to the Knicks in 6 first round.

Doc didn’t under achieve.
He left because Danny was trading KG and Paul Pierce.
I was talking about this year.

I’m not giving credit for 12 year old results. That was yesterday’s NBA.

The problem is there aren't a lot of quality role players available this offseason and the Clippers won't have cap space. Morris is the best starting-caliber player they can sign with the money they have available.

Who said anything about fixing the locker room? That stuff is overrated. The Warriors locker room was a mess once they added Durant. Shaq and Kobe hated each other. You don't have to get along to win. Do the Clippers need to work on their on-court chemistry? Yes. Do they need to work on their mental toughness? No question. I don't think Morris jeopardizes any of that. With his defense and shooting, they need him.

I don't think Kawhi came to the Clippers to deal with drama. Maybe Morris is ok to keep, but only if Kawhi is good with it. For a 3 and D guy, he's been on a LOT of teams.

The Warriors had KD (arguably the greatest scorer of all time), Steph (the greatest shooter of all time), Klay (top five shooter of all time) and Dray (do-everything guy). The Lakers you reference had Kobe and Shaq, both, arguably, top 15 guys of all time.

The Clippers don't have that type of fire power to ignore locker room issues. If you had Kawhi and Giannis? Sure. If you had Kawhi and Bron? Sure. Kawhi and PG? IMO, you need to care about the locker room.

Maybe I'm just lower on Morris than you are and that's ok. If I'm Ballmer, I tell everyone the only person that is untouchable is Kawhi. Everyone else, player and coach, is fair game.

Danny Ainge should trade Brad Stevens contract to Indiana and rehire Doc Rivers.
Stevens is an Indiana native and would probably do that.

I mean this with all due respect, but how did you just watch what Doc just did and say "that's what we need" in terms of a dynamic, risk-taking coach for the playoffs?

I was talking about this year.

I’m not giving credit for 12 year old results. That was yesterday’s NBA.
The Clippers team didn’t want to play in the restart that isn’t Doc’s fault.
They voted to cancel the season.

I saw a couple Celtics who were all that interested in playing, jaylen brown, and brad got more out of them than doc did his squad.

I mean this with all due respect, but how did you just watch what Doc just did and say "that's what we need" in terms of a dynamic, risk-taking coach for the playoffs?
Doc got Boston. He knew how to handle the toxic media.
Got the players to play hard.

Brad Stevens seems like a nice guy but he never wins the coaching matchup in these important series. Celtics couldn’t handle a zone for 3 games, lost 7 games in the playoff by a combined 24 points. That is bad coaching IMO.

I like Brad but he can move on.

I saw a couple Celtics who were all that interested in playing, jaylen brown, and brad got more out of them than doc did his squad.
I am not confident this Boston team beats Dallas if they played them. Boston has talent I just not confident in the coach.
He got outcoached badly by Toronto and Miami.
Brad would have been out-coached by Carlisle I bet.

Honestly, I think you're issue is that either Tatum needs to make another leap or you need a true super duper star.

Marcus Smart took 22 shots in your last game. Yes, that's on Brad, but it also says a lot about who is on your team.

Just my opinion.

[EDIT: What I mean by this is that if Smart took 22 shots on LeBron's team, he either would be traded or have never done it in the first place]

Honestly, I think you're issue is that either Tatum needs to make another leap or you need a true super duper star.

Marcus Smart took 22 shots in your last game. Yes, that's on Brad, but it also says a lot about who is on your team.

Just my opinion.

[EDIT: What I mean by this is that if Smart took 22 shots on LeBron's team, he either would be traded or have never done it in the first place]
Brad is too passive which is my point. The team needs a coach who’s actually going to tell Marcus smart lock on the defense and stop shooting the ball. Brad he’s a good guy but he doesn’t open his mouth.
It took three games for the team to actually know how to handle Miami zone. Brad coached in college basketball he knows how to handle a 3-2 zone.

He doesn’t tell the team in the fourth quarter to stop jacking shots and move the ball the team lost at least two games I can name because the offense went into the stall ball mode. They should’ve won games one and two of the Eastern conference finals but they choked.
They should’ve beaten Toronto in game six and game three of that series. They had to go seven games because Nick nurse coached circles around Brad Stevens.

Just my opinion.

People forget how young Boston’s stars actually are.

And you’re completely right about Smart. You love his defense, and are stuck with his wide range of offense, slumps to streaks.

Mannix on Boston Radio just suggested

Myles Turner, Jeremy Lamb, for Marcus Smart, Romeo Langford and the 14th pick:

Not sure I like this type of deal.
No way.

also, would take Doc back.

I wouldn’t want Brad Stevens gone unless there was a better option and I truly believe Doc Rivers is a better option for the Celtics then Brad Stevens

Doc is meeting the bus pretty hard. Lot of media on this.

Ballmer consulted with Frank, minority shareholder Dennis Wong, consultant Jerry West and general manager Michael Winger. Before a final decision was made, sources said Ballmer called several key players -- including George and Leonard -- to get their opinions. Nothing the players told him, sources said, changed Ballmer's mind about moving on from Rivers. Ultimately, the decision to part ways with Rivers was Ballmer's.

Doc is meeting the bus pretty hard. Lot of media on this.

Ballmer consulted with Frank, minority shareholder Dennis Wong, consultant Jerry West and general manager Michael Winger. Before a final decision was made, sources said Ballmer called several key players -- including George and Leonard -- to get their opinions. Nothing the players told him, sources said, changed Ballmer's mind about moving on from Rivers. Ultimately, the decision to part ways with Rivers was Ballmer's.

Similar article on the Athletic - assume that this can't bode well for the Assistants who were linked to the job.

Similar article on the Athletic - assume that this can't bode well for the Assistants who were linked to the job.

Agreed. Would be surprised if this wasn't wholesale change.

They were up 3-1 in the series and had double-digit leads in all three potential series-clinching games. The vote was a factor, albeit a small one in the grand scheme.

I don't think Kawhi came to the Clippers to deal with drama. Maybe Morris is ok to keep, but only if Kawhi is good with it. For a 3 and D guy, he's been on a LOT of teams.

The Warriors had KD (arguably the greatest scorer of all time), Steph (the greatest shooter of all time), Klay (top five shooter of all time) and Dray (do-everything guy). The Lakers you reference had Kobe and Shaq, both, arguably, top 15 guys of all time.

The Clippers don't have that type of fire power to ignore locker room issues. If you had Kawhi and Giannis? Sure. If you had Kawhi and Bron? Sure. Kawhi and PG? IMO, you need to care about the locker room.

Maybe I'm just lower on Morris than you are and that's ok. If I'm Ballmer, I tell everyone the only person that is untouchable is Kawhi. Everyone else, player and coach, is fair game.
I’m no fan of Morris. That he went to Kansas is enough for me to not like the guy. The Clippers just don’t have other options.

There’s like 5 black head coaches in the whole league.

Not talking about any one job, but big picture wise...considering that most coaches are ex-players...and most players are black...logically there should be more black coaches.
But it should not be a litmus test. The best candidate for that team should get the job. Don't assume players want to coach, and I'm not sure they make the best coaches.

But it should not be a litmus test. The best candidate for that team should get the job. Don't assume players want to coach, and I'm not sure they make the best coaches.

Theres a ton of former players that are black that want to coach that have been hanging around with assistant jobs forever, or that got tired of that and went the college HC route.

Theres a ton of former players that are black that want to coach that have been hanging around with assistant jobs forever, or that got tired of that and went the college HC route.

And I should add...law of averages would suggest that at least some of those guys would make strong coaches.

Some of these white journeyman coaches who have had chance after chance and have a CLEAR ceiling...like Mike D’Antoni. That’s hard to fathom. He’s had 5 head coaching jobs and only 2 of them could be considered successful tenures. Why would teams keep hiring that guy, rather than giving some proven strong assistant his first shot? Or even a college guy like Howard or Ewing or even a newer guy like Stackhouse?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom