NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 239 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

Golden State is a great team but Durant is why they insane.
The first 2 years of Golden State 2015, 2016 a Michael Jordan Bulls team could compete.
Once they got Durant it was when they were unbeatable.

Also the Eastern conference is wasn’t as good after Derrick Rose injured his knee and LeBron left Miami.
Boston got old.
Toronto and Atlanta could never beat LeBron.

He dominated a down conference.

Dubs won 73 games in a harder conference than Jordan ever played in. Yes, they lost the Finals bc Draymond is an idiot, but I think you and I will just not see eye to eye on this.

All good.

It's a fun argument, for sure.

I will say, separate from MJ/Bron is the "what athlete came through on the hype from being in the spotlight at a young age". The list has to be:

Kareem
Bron
Tiger

I know I'm missing a bunch, but are those the top three?

Dubs won 73 games in a harder conference than Jordan ever played in. Yes, they lost the Finals bc Draymond is an idiot, but I think you and I will just not see eye to eye on this.

All good.

It's a fun argument, for sure.

I will say, separate from MJ/Bron is the "what athlete came through on the hype from being in the spotlight at a young age". The list has to be:

Kareem
Bron
Tiger

LeBron actually exceeded his hype and what is amazing was he had a high extremely amount of hype.

Yep, feel the same way. I honestly couldn't believe how many intelligent people I've seen saying that the Heat would win the series.
I'd like to see the Heat win, and believe they can, but it's also because it's a lot better story.

The Heat built a team of guys they drafted well and/or developed intentionally, and then timed right the chance to get a free agent that raised them a level.

As opposed to the Lakers who crapped the bed for years, got lucky that LeBron wanted to come, gutted the roster to get Anthony Davis, and got a couple of old free agents after otherwise striking out in free agency. That's a lame story that sucks.

It's better for the NBA if teams win the Miami way. It encourages organizational competence. But hey, maybe it's a microcosm of the world at large. Things that otherwise suck and are dumpster fires occasionally wander into glory, just because.

LeBron actually exceeded his hype and what is amazing was he had a high extremely amount of hype.

Yeah, I believe on draft night, Greg Anthony (maybe?) said he projected him to be a Hall of Famer... on draft night.

SI cover at 16. Back to back HS player of the year (and 3x Mr Ohio I think).

At one point was one of the top WRs in the country.

Crazy.

I'd like to see the Heat win, and believe they can, but it's also because it's a lot better story.

The Heat built a team of guys they drafted well and/or developed intentionally, and then timed right the chance to get a free agent that raised them a level.

As opposed to the Lakers who crapped the bed for years, got lucky that LeBron wanted to come, gutted the roster to get Anthony Davis, and got a couple of old free agents after otherwise striking out in free agency. That's a lame story that sucks.

It's better for the NBA if teams win the Miami way. It encourages organizational competence. But hey, maybe it's a microcosm of the world at large. Things that otherwise suck and are dumpster fires occasionally wander into glory, just because.

Lakers did at least draft well in order to have the pieces to get Davis, and for LeBron to want to sign.

Ingram, Ball, Russell, and Randle have all proven to be good picks - as they should be as they were all top 7. But we picked the right guys. No busts. And Josh Hart was a great pick given where they got him.

As was Kuzma.

Miami literally did what LA did from 2011-2014.

Miami got Chris Bosh contract off their cap.
Miami got lucky Philadelphia did what contenders don’t do give an allstar in a sign and trade.
Riley and Spolestra deserve credit for Adebajo and Herro development.
They outplayed Milwaukee and Boston both more talented teams.
Miami had no chance against two top 5 players. There talent isn’t there.
Boston had more talent but it wasn’t consistent.
Milwaukee had more talent but they were off after the restart.
The pandemic ruined a Milwaukee-Los Angeles Finals.

Kareem
Bron
Tiger

The hype question could be its own thread

You have busts like
Maurice Clarett

In between guys like
OJ Mayo

Other successful guys
Ken Griffey Jr.

I know I'm missing a bunch too...

Number one overall picks that lived up to hype.
Hakeem Olajuwon NBA 1984
John Elway NFL 1983
Peyton Manning NFL 1998
Alex Rodriguez MLB 1993
Not sure Bryce Harper has but he won an MVP and got an insane contract.
Ken Griffey Jr. MLB 1987.
LeBron James NBA 2003

Number one overall picks that lived up to hype.
Hakeem Olajuwon NBA 1984
John Elway NFL 1983
Peyton Manning NFL 1998
Alex Rodriguez MLB 1993
Not sure Bryce Harper has but he won an MVP and got an insane contract.
Ken Griffey Jr. MLB 1987.
LeBron James NBA 2003

Magic 1979
Shaq 1992
Duncan 1997

Lakers did at least draft well in order to have the pieces to get Davis, and for LeBron to want to sign.

Ingram, Ball, Russell, and Randle have all proven to be good picks - as they should be as they were all top 7. But we picked the right guys. No busts. And Josh Hart was a great pick given where they got him.

As was Kuzma.
Meh.

I was just watching the Decision backstory and honestly I can’t believe LeBron James actually went back to Cleveland and played for Dan Gilbert.

That letter is insane.

Even Syracusefan.com doesn't give you the Comic Sans option for good reason.

Disapponting. People are already going to blame us for the Clippers and Celtics tapping out and ducking us. I want Miami at full strength at least.

Trying to envision a way the Heat win. Nunn isn’t bad. But Olynyk and Leonard up front isn’t likely to go well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom