NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 250 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

I don’t get the Knicks thinking but Celtics and Knicks are talking trading the 8th pick for 14 and 26 picks.

The Knicks must think their isn’t much difference and Boston wants less picks and a better player.

Boston needs to consolidate those picks right? Cant see them carrying so many young players with a team looking to win now.

As for that specific trade...man, I dunno? The Knicks already have a late first rounder. I understand the idea of taking an extra shot, and this draft (probably?) sucks, but not sure on this one. They already have a bunch of youngish players they're trying to sift through, adding 3 more this draft might be a lot.

Boston needs to consolidate those picks right? Cant see them carrying so many young players with a team looking to win now.

As for that specific trade...man, I dunno? The Knicks already have a late first rounder. I understand the idea of taking an extra shot, and this draft (probably?) sucks, but not sure on this one. They already have a bunch of youngish players they're trying to sift through, adding 3 more this draft might be a lot.

I'd have to imagine if the Knicks end up with 3 first round picks in this year's draft, they're either selecting a draft and stash guy or they have another trade lined up to use those picks (i.e. to bring in Chris Paul for example).

I'd have to imagine if the Knicks end up with 3 first round picks in this year's draft, they're either selecting a draft and stash guy or they have another trade lined up to use those picks (i.e. to bring in Chris Paul for example).

I really dont know how to feel about the Chris Paul stuff. He's obviously great, he's Chris Paul. Maybe he would help Barrett develop. it is a ton of money/cap space, though I think they can still have max space next summer (Cause th at always works out well for us)

On the draft and stash, for whatever its worth, i was reading a story Hollinger wrote a few days ago (this was about Boston and all their first rounders) and he was saying there arent a lot of draft and stash guys this year in the late first. Then again, its the Knicks, so you never know what they're gonna do.

I really dont know how to feel about the Chris Paul stuff. He's obviously great, he's Chris Paul. Maybe he would help Barrett develop. it is a ton of money/cap space, though I think they can still have max space next summer (Cause th at always works out well for us)

On the draft and stash, for whatever its worth, i was reading a story Hollinger wrote a few days ago (this was about Boston and all their first rounders) and he was saying there arent a lot of draft and stash guys this year in the late first. Then again, its the Knicks, so you never know what they're gonna do.

There's no real consensus of who even is a late 1st this year, so I don't think this necessarily matters. A lot of intriguing European talent though, some of which seems likely to be of the draft-and-stash variety.

Leandro Bolmaro for example just signed a new deal with Barcelona I believe. Not sure what guys like Theo Maledon and Yam Madar plan to do next season.

You can also basically use the G-League as a draft-and-stash option at this point too; just taking someone that you don't intend to play early on and let them develop down there.

There's no real consensus of who even is a late 1st this year, so I don't think this necessarily matters. A lot of intriguing European talent though, some of which seems likely to be of the draft-and-stash variety.

Leandro Bolmaro for example just signed a new deal with Barcelona I believe. Not sure what guys like Theo Maledon and Yam Madar plan to do next season.

You can also basically use the G-League as a draft-and-stash option at this point too; just taking someone that you don't intend to play early on and let them develop down there.

That's true, though specifically for Boston, I think an actual draft and stash appealed because if they stay over in Europe they don't count on your cap and take a roster spot.

I don't know who I want the Knicks to take. Maybe Killian Hayes? I saw Sam Vecenie had them with Vassell in his most recent mock

I think Chris Paul would be a great addition. The issue the Knicks have right now is that they're viewed as an illegitimate organization (let's put aside that reality may, uh, kinda be that they are and that's the real issue). Chris Paul can help fix that. He'll make sure his team competes. He has a voice in the league. He does seem to be a guy that raises the level of play of his teammates. Can Chris Paul improve the standing of the Knicks organization playing out the remainder of his contract? I think he's one of the few guys that can.

The Knicks probably need to play the long game. It's going to be really hard to turnaround dysfunction that's existed for so long. They need to turn their reputation around.

That's true, though specifically for Boston, I think an actual draft and stash appealed because if they stay over in Europe they don't count on your cap and take a roster spot.

I don't know who I want the Knicks to take. Maybe Killian Hayes? I saw Sam Vecenie had them with Vassell in his most recent mock

I know some people consider Hayes to be the #1 prospect in the draft. The optics of the Knicks taking a 6'5" French PG again though would be kinda hilarious. For me, Haliburton is the guy if he makes it to that pick, though I don't think he SHOULD make it to #8. Haliburton is a top 3 prospect to me.

I think Chris Paul would be a great addition. The issue the Knicks have right now is that they're viewed as an illegitimate organization (let's put aside that reality may, uh, kinda be that they are and that's the real issue). Chris Paul can help fix that. He'll make sure his team competes. He has a voice in the league. He does seem to be a guy that raises the level of play of his teammates. Can Chris Paul improve the standing of the Knicks organization playing out the remainder of his contract? I think he's one of the few guys that can.

The Knicks probably need to play the long game. It's going to be really hard to turnaround dysfunction that's existed for so long. They need to turn their reputation around.
I think it would be an alright move to dump the glut of PFs and use that space on him. Decline the team options to Portis and Ellington and release Elfrid and that's already $32m. If you have to attach any assets though, no dice. I would have included Taj Gibson but with Thibs there, you know that isn't happening.

I know some people consider Hayes to be the #1 prospect in the draft. The optics of the Knicks taking a 6'5" French PG again though would be kinda hilarious. For me, Haliburton is the guy if he makes it to that pick, though I don't think he SHOULD make it to #8. Haliburton is a top 3 prospect to me.
The Ringer certainly does. You have them with him #1 and ESPN pushing LaMelo. I honestly don't know if there is any difference from drafting 1 or 8 this year.

All about this. Yes, CP3 is not what he once was and is getting paid an outrageous amount, but the Knicks have been an absolute joke. New people running the show, need a new culture.

What are we going to do, stink again and hope for Cade Cunningham or Jalen Green? Not for nothing, it's not like either of those guys are Bron or Luka.

Get CP3 in, see what happens. We're a joke right now.

If Paul just had the one year left on his deal, I would be all for it.

It may still make sense, for a lot of the reasons mentioned above, but he's on the books for $44 million in 2021-22. They probably wouldn't be a player next summer with all that cap space, but I dunno. Thats a LOT of money.

I get it, the guy is one of the best PG ever, and I do have to imagine he would help the young guys develop.

If Paul just had the one year left on his deal, I would be all for it.

It may still make sense, for a lot of the reasons mentioned above, but he's on the books for $44 million in 2021-22. They probably wouldn't be a player next summer with all that cap space, but I dunno. Thats a LOT of money.

I get it, the guy is one of the best PG ever, and I do have to imagine he would help the young guys develop.
Thing is... I don't think a year is enough time.

If Westbrook rumors are true the Knicks could trade the Clippers first round pick or if they get one from Boston for Westbrook.

If I am the Knicks and I can choose Westbrook or Paul I take Russell.
I am not a big Westbrook fan but he is the type of player the MSG crowd could energize and potentially carry an inferior team in the East.

The Knicks have the cap room to just slide Westbrook in without sending out salary and the rockets would probably just take a late first round pick and call it a day.

So basically you advocate for the position of the Knicks doing Knicks things.
The Knicks aren’t getting any impact FAs.
Russell Westbrook isn’t close to being washed up like Chris Paul is.

If I could trade late first round pick for Westbrook or Paul I am picking Westbrook.
He is a player that gives a chit and plays hard every game. The Knicks fanbase needs a player that can energize them.
Westbrook and Harden together are a terrible pair.
Westbrook has his warts but he is 4 years younger.
He isn’t going to lead them to a title but he could change the culture.

The Knicks aren’t getting any impact FAs.
Russell Westbrook isn’t close to being washed up like Chris Paul is.

If I could trade late first round pick for Westbrook or Paul I am picking Westbrook.
He is a player that gives a chit and plays hard every game. The Knicks fanbase needs a player that can energize them.
Westbrook and Harden together are a terrible pair.
Westbrook has his warts but he is 4 years younger.
He isn’t going to lead them to a title but he could change the culture.
Eh, I don't think he's capable of changing the culture to what they need.

They have team level problems, and organization level problems.

Westbrook could bandaid the team problems for a little while. We know what that looks like. That's what they did when they had Melo (this is not a knock on Melo).

I think Paul can fix the team problems, and has a shot at fixing the org problems. I don't see Westbrook fixing the org problems.

At a certain point, the Knicks need to overhaul perception, but also earn it, by performing better as an organization. Westbrook at best gives them a couple of years as a low playoff seed in the East. I don't think that moves the needle really though.

Westbrook could bandaid the team problems for a little while. We know what that looks like. That's what they did when they had Melo (this is not a knock on Melo).

I think Paul can fix the team problems, and has a shot at fixing the org problems. I don't see Westbrook fixing the org problems.

At a certain point, the Knicks need to overhaul perception, but also earn it, by performing better as an organization. Westbrook at best gives them a couple of years as a low playoff seed in the East. I don't think that moves the needle really though.

Westbrook would probably be Marbury pt. 2. A low level sneak into the playoffs and get swept team for a year or two, as his best years ultimately prove to be behind him, followed by all kinds of drama.

Westbrook would probably be Marbury pt. 2. A low level sneak into the playoffs and get swept team for a year or two, as his best years ultimately prove to be behind him, followed by all kinds of drama.
The question is if the Knicks add one of Westbrook or Paul which is better for them.
I think Paul is a good leader but he is closed to washed up I am not wasting cap space for a vet who isn’t going to make a difference.
Westbrook has some gas left in the tank.

Paul’s a better player alltime.

The question is if the Knicks add one of Westbrook or Paul which is better for them.
I think Paul is a good leader but he is closed to washed up I am not wasting cap space for a vet who isn’t going to make a difference.
Westbrook has some gas left in the tank.

Paul’s a better player alltime.

I think Paul is a better player right now. So saying he’s closer to being washed up is a projection based on age...which is logical. All the same...he’s still the better overall player IMO. I think Paul makes a bigger difference for right here and now, but for how long?

Either way, I don’t see either one as any kind of long term answer.

Paul can’t fix the organization issues. Those are all related to James Dolan.
Unless Paul can get him to do something like Sterling I don’t think he can do that.
The Knicks need to be viable to become attractive.

I don’t see Paul fixing that. If I were the Knicks I pass on both Paul and Westbrook but if they are going to add a vet and don’t have to do anything but absorb the contract and trade a late first round pick I am doing that for Westbrook over Paul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom