NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 255 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

Let's talk about important teams:

What the hell are the Knicks going to do? I have no idea, and more to the point, I have no idea what I want them to do (or even what not to do!)

Kevin O'Connor was reporting today that the Knicks are interested in trading for Russell Westbrook...

Re: the draft, I'm of two minds:
  1. Desperately desperately need to put shooting around RJ.
  2. Just get the best prospect and figure out the fit later.
The guys I like (regardless of fit) would be:
  • Tyrese Haliburton - Best case scenario IMO
  • Killian Hayes - Shooting percentages are unfortunately very bad, but he looks the part. He's also a very good free throw shooter so maybe the jumper will come along. There's some similarities to Jamal Murray and some even say James Harden.
  • Isaac Okoro - Probably the worst fit of the bunch but arguably the best prospect too (I know the Jon Givony for example has him as his #3 prospect in the draft). Potentially elite defensive wing and a good finisher around the rim but his jumper is awful right now.
  • Devin Vassell - 3nD prospect with some flashes of creating his own shot.
  • Patrick Williams - One of, if not the youngest prospect in the draft, supposedly the biggest riser in the draft class. Shows flashes of being able to do pretty much everything you'd ever want but he did it off the bench for Florida State. He killed us this year though as the guy playing at the free throw line in the middle of our zone.
In a perfect world, you'd get a wing at #8 and then grab a PG with #27 or whatever the later pick is. John Hollinger was saying that he's heard the Knicks want Malachi Flynn with the later pick...he isn't the one I would go for personally but there should be plenty of PGs available there.

Yeah it doesn’t seem like fair value.
When I read Smart and 14 for 2 that didn’t seem right.
Middleton is probably a top 15-20 player I don’t see the first pick in this draft worth that.

Chris Paul to the Bucks I believe is the deal that gets done eventually.
Paul doesn’t want to go to NY or Philly.
The Clippers are the best fit but I don’t know if he would want to go there.

I would like to think the Bucks end up getting CP3, but all of the local Bucks writers have said (and they got this directly from ownership) that they want no part of CP3 at all. It sounds like Giannis doesn't want to play with him.

My guess is that the Bucks end up with Dennis Schroder or Derrick Rose. I know pretty much everyone is reporting now that the Bucks have been pursuing and will continue to pursue Oladipo.

What the hell are the Knicks going to do? I have no idea, and more to the point, I have no idea what I want them to do (or even what not to do!)
They truly do have a world of inconsequential possibilities before them.

If the Knicks have to pick between Paul and Westbrook then the Russell Westbrook is what I said they should target.
1. The Rockets aren’t going to want any real compensation they want the salary off the books because their owner is getting killed in the economy because of Covid.
The Thunder aren’t going to just give away Paul.

Plus Westbrook IMO has a little more in the tank.

Of course the Knicks should only do the trade if they are sure they won’t get any real FAs and need a culture change type of player.

Kevin O'Connor was reporting today that the Knicks are interested in trading for Russell Westbrook...

Re: the draft, I'm of two minds:
  1. Desperately desperately need to put shooting around RJ.
  2. Just get the best prospect and figure out the fit later.
The guys I like (regardless of fit) would be:
  • Tyrese Haliburton - Best case scenario IMO
  • Killian Hayes - Shooting percentages are unfortunately very bad, but he looks the part. He's also a very good free throw shooter so maybe the jumper will come along. There's some similarities to Jamal Murray and some even say James Harden.
  • Isaac Okoro - Probably the worst fit of the bunch but arguably the best prospect too (I know the Jon Givony for example has him as his #3 prospect in the draft). Potentially elite defensive wing and a good finisher around the rim but his jumper is awful right now.
  • Devin Vassell - 3nD prospect with some flashes of creating his own shot.
  • Patrick Williams - One of, if not the youngest prospect in the draft, supposedly the biggest riser in the draft class. Shows flashes of being able to do pretty much everything you'd ever want but he did it off the bench for Florida State. He killed us this year though as the guy playing at the free throw line in the middle of our zone.
In a perfect world, you'd get a wing at #8 and then grab a PG with #27 or whatever the later pick is. John Hollinger was saying that he's heard the Knicks want Malachi Flynn with the later pick...he isn't the one I would go for personally but there should be plenty of PGs available there.

From what I have read (LOL who knows) Williams supposedly has a promise from the Pistons at 7.

Vassell I can for sure talk myself into. Okoro is scary because he may not be able to shoot.

Hollinger had Maxey to them today. Which I'm not sure about AT ALL

From what I have read (LOL who knows) Williams supposedly has a promise from the Pistons at 7.

Vassell I can for sure talk myself into. Okoro is scary because he may not be able to shoot.

Hollinger had Maxey to them today. Which I'm not sure about AT ALL
I like Maxey. That might be a bit higher than he should go but he’s got a high potential ceiling IMO. I think he’s better than he had a chance to show at Kentucky.

Sign 7 shooting guards, all of whom’s strength is slashing to the basket.
Remember a few years back when the T-Wolves realized 3 and D guys were valuable, so they put 10 of them on the roster?

I like Maxey. That might be a bit higher than he should go but he’s got a high potential ceiling IMO. I think he’s better than he had a chance to show at Kentucky.

I'm totally stealing this point from Hollinger, but Maxey is for sure benefitting from the halo effect after Herro/Bam/Booker/Murray killed it in the bubble.

I don't care who you claim to have voted for, or your beliefs.

That you took what you did ("what strike"?) from the tweet that I posted tells me all I need to know. Last I checked, NBA playoff games were postponed. I'm not sure when that last happened.
There was a boycott of a game by some teams. They quickly agreed to go back to work. There was no strike. (Words matter.) No games were actually missed, just moved.
The design was to do something to try to make sure attention stayed focused. The players, on the whole, were never going to give up their salaries for an already shortened season.)
It's great that voting booths were set up and people had the opportunity to vote. The more people who vote the better for all. It would be fantastic big every citizen voted.
My point with you, in particular, was that you made assumptions about who I voted for, (and therefore, by inference based upon your personal views, on who I am), because you think you actually know something about me from this site. You were wrong on every level. Just admit it and move on.

RIP to the legend and greatest homer color commentator of all time Tommy Heinsohn.

He was the best and will be missed. He bled Celtic green more than anyone.

Tommy points for all.

the worst being Jack Edwards

I want them to trade the 8th pick and take a flyer on a foreign player with the later pick.

I want them to trade the 8th pick and take a flyer on a foreign player with the later pick.

Yeah, I don't like anyone in this draft. I don't want Westbrook, either.

Take a flyer and either:

1) Work to get CP3 (I know we won't win a chip, but at least we'll start being competitive) or
2) Just flat out tank and tell the fans that we're tanking again.

If Bron, Giannis, KD, Kawhi, Harden, etc aren't coming here, let's not kid ourselves and either get someone that is proven to make everyone better (CP3, even tho he's prob on his last legs) or just go full tank-a-thon for the future.

If the Knicks have to pick between Paul and Westbrook then the Russell Westbrook is what I said they should target.
1. The Rockets aren’t going to want any real compensation they want the salary off the books because their owner is getting killed in the economy because of Covid.
The Thunder aren’t going to just give away Paul.

Plus Westbrook IMO has a little more in the tank.

Of course the Knicks should only do the trade if they are sure they won’t get any real FAs and need a culture change type of player.

Hard pass on Westbrook. That man was talking trash to Bron down a million in the playoffs when they were getting beat.

He'll lose his mind with the New York press. First time he throws the ball into the crowd and Desus and Mero catch the ball and make fun of him, he'll quit on the spot.

Shams reporting that Russell Westbrook wants out of Houston. Also reporting James Harden remains all in on Houston.

For Russ to be useful, he has to go somewhere with a star that can tell him to , like the Clippers.

Honestly, I don't know where else he could go (from a bball standpoint) that would work.

Shams reporting that Russell Westbrook wants out of Houston. Also reporting James Harden remains all in on Houston.
I was reading on Celtics site the Rockets asked the Celtics about a Harden for Jaylen Brown/Marcus Smart led package doing their due diligence if they wanted to blow the whole thing up.

I would want no part of Harden with Tatum butting heads.

Also a Westbrook for Kemba and cap fillers and draft picks was offered to Boston as well.

For Russ to be useful, he has to go somewhere with a star that can tell him to , like the Clippers.

Honestly, I don't know where else he could go (from a bball standpoint) that would work.

I know Kevin O'Connor was saying he's heard New York and the Clippers are the only teams interested in Westbrook, but seems like it would pretty much be impossible for the Clippers to afford him plus Kawhi and PG13. They technically could do it but I think it would literally cost them every other player on the roster unless they were able to make some workable sign-and-trade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom