NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 78 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

I don't really see why the NBA doesn't just take the top 8 from each conference and have a normal playoff bracket with all the games taking place in Orlando. I don't really understand the need to try any of these new ideas personally.

Sounds like the World Cup idea is dead at this point. If they ultimately go with the idea of seeding 1-16 regardless of conference, I don't like it but I don't think the road for Milwaukee is all that much tougher than the Lakers side of things personally.

Maybe the long hiatus and lack of home court advantage will throw things into disarray, but if it had played out as a normal season with the way the Bucks were playing all year, I don't really see anyone outside of the two LA teams (and possibly Toronto) as an equal. Flukey stuff could still happen, and obviously the Bucks would likely have to beat two LA teams instead of one, but Orlando, Miami, and Philly/Boston, aren't significantly tougher than Brooklyn, Houston, Toronto, and Denver in my eyes.

But again, I don't see why we shouldn't just play 1-8 and 1-8 like we always have if the season must come back.

Agreed. I can understand giving the teams that were in competition for those bottom west spots a chance. So either do that, and then go with the usual 1-8 matchups. Or just go right to the playoffs. These other ideas are unnecessary and pointless IMO.

This is what I wish they did. Play seven game series. 1-8 seeds per conference. It will make it the most legitimate title they can make.
They aren’t going to just 16 teams. When they come back.
The NBA wants to save as much revenue as they can.
NBA teams local contracts require 70 games be made available to each local market to satisfy for those contracts.
Because the 16 playoff teams first round playoff games would be included in those numbers those 16 teams would be fine.

The other 14 teams need to play whatever gets them to 70 games so the salary cap and revenues don’t drop as much as it’s already going too.
This is why the negotiations are taking time unlike the NHL.

The NHL just ended it’s season and didn’t need these games.
NBA teams and players need to renegotiate an agreement for all 30 teams to fulfill their local contracts.
It’s why the biggest obstacle right now is the Golden State Warriors who don’t want to come back and the NBA determining how to create whatever structure they are going to for the playoffs.

The Warriors have a large local TV agreement but they don’t want to come back and other teams like Portland want a fair process.

They aren’t going to just 16 teams. When they come back.
The NBA wants to save as much revenue as they can.
NBA teams local contracts require 70 games be made available to each local market to satisfy for those contracts.
Because the 16 playoff teams first round playoff games would be included in those numbers those 16 teams would be fine.

The other 14 teams need to play whatever gets them to 70 games so the salary cap and revenues don’t drop as much as it’s already going too.
This is why the negotiations are taking time unlike the NHL.

The NHL just ended it’s season and didn’t need these games.
NBA teams and players need to renegotiate an agreement for all 30 teams to fulfill their local contracts.
It’s why the biggest obstacle right now is the Golden State Warriors who don’t want to come back and the NBA determining how to create whatever structure they are going to for the playoffs.

The Warriors have a large local TV agreement but they don’t want to come back and other teams like Portland want a fair process.

I dont think it's a lock that all 30 teams come back, from what I have read.

I do agree on why they may not want to go to the playoffs right away, they want A) more content for revenue, and B) i think you probably want everyone to get some games in before you start the playoffs up.

Payton
MJ that will be interesting following last dance
Barry so underrated
Melo
Mutumbo

I wouldn't be surprised if the NBA players, in light of Minneapolis, were to decide not to play the rest of the season. A drastic, sustainable protest. They are by far the most political group of athletes.

Last edited:
Very interesting, I like it. Hmm.. I'll think about this. In meantime, Green over Webber is hilarious. These are always open for criticism and subjective of course but I had to note that one.
Yeah. I matched up Webber with Bird and Steph. Gonna score 120 a night

So 22 team return for the NBA looks like the probable outcome:

It would 6 West teams Memphis, New Orleans, Portland, San Antonio, Sacramento and 2 East teams Brooklyn, Orlando would compete for the last 2 playoff spots.

I think they are saying the format is unclear but the top choice is World Cup format where the 8 teams would be put into 2 groups and 4 and the winner of each group would make the playoffs.

So the 22 teams will play 8 regular season games for seeding. If teams are within 4 games of the 7th or 8th seed in their conference they will have a play-in tournament.
16 playoff teams plus Washington-East, Portland, New Orleans, Sacramento, Phoenix, San Antonio-West are the 22 teams.

First game July 31st.

Last possible date for game 7 of the NBA Finals October 12th.

I think they are scrapping 1-16 as well and just 1-8 East and 1-8 West.
When does the season usually start? October 12th seems late.

Will be interesting to see if this is the catalyst for a later start and end to the NBA season.

Which I'm in favor of FWIW.

When does the season usually start? October 12th seems late.
The new season would start around Christmas.
The regular season typically starts in late October.

Lakers first round opponent is going to be dangerous.
They will have earned there way into the playoffs.
Blazers/Pelicans/Grizzlies one of those teams will have gone thru a gauntlet to get in.
Bucks are getting one of the Nets/Magic/Wizards.

the 2018-19 season started on the earlier side, October 16. Crazy to think the finals could end 4 games before that day.

Will be interesting to see if this is the catalyst for a later start and end to the NBA season.

Which I'm in favor of FWIW.

I wonder how they're going to try and "catch up" if they ever attempt to go back to the normal schedule.

I assume they absolutely want to start next season on Christmas. But you obviously can't start Christmas, have an 82 game season, plus playoffs, and end anywhere close to June.

Normally the length of time between the end of the finals and the start of the new season is around 4 months. This year, I'm assuming it's going to be a little less than 3 months (end sometime early October, start Christmas).

If you wanted to push it and say the off-season is only 2.5 months, then you could start the 2021-22 season around the end of October, meaning you'd need to end the finals around mid August? Could you get a whole NBA season plus playoffs done starting on Christmas and ending in the middle of August?

Obviously the other question is # of games, but I just can't imagine they are in a position right now where they're looking to lower the # of games.

the 2018-19 season started on the earlier side, October 16. Crazy to think the finals could end 4 games before that day.

I wonder how they're going to try and "catch up" if they ever attempt to go back to the normal schedule.

I assume they absolutely want to start next season on Christmas. But you obviously can't start Christmas, have an 82 game season, plus playoffs, and end anywhere close to June.

Normally the length of time between the end of the finals and the start of the new season is around 4 months. This year, I'm assuming it's going to be a little less than 3 months (end sometime early October, start Christmas).

If you wanted to push it and say the off-season is only 2.5 months, then you could start the 2021-22 season around the end of October, meaning you'd need to end the finals around mid August? Could you get a whole NBA season plus playoffs done starting on Christmas and ending in the middle of August?

Obviously the other question is # of games, but I just can't imagine they are in a position right now where they're looking to lower the # of games.

I bet they stay on or near kicking off on Xmas moving forward. I think they've wanted that for a while and this is going work out really well for them.

I bet they stay on or near kicking off on Xmas moving forward. I think they've wanted that for a while and this is going work out really well for them.

I do think that is the best way to go. I have read there is some opposition to that idea among ownership though.

Like I said, I would be all for it, but it will be weird (i am weird), but I associate different times of the year with sports that happen at that time. So used to NBA playoffs late April into June, weather getting nicer, baseball starting up, etc. Will be tough to reconcile the NBA finals in August (in a new calendar) and especially October now

Yeah, I wonder if they either shorten the following season on the calendar or play a lower number of games spread out along the calendar so they can line up a Christmas start the season after that.

Portland (Dame) was the no vote. Not Dolan.

Also...
The NBA informed the Board of Governors of scheduled dates:
- Training camp: June 30, July 7 travel to Orlando
- 2019-20 season: July 31
- Draft Lottery: August 25
- Draft: October 15
- Free agency: Oct. 18
- 2020-21 targets: Nov. 10 training camp, Dec. 1 opening night (can remain fluid)

Last edited:
Portland (Dame) was the no vote. Not Dolan.

Also...
NBA has set an August 25 Draft Lottery and October 15 Draft.

The NBA informed the Board of Governors of scheduled dates:
- Training camp: June 30, July 7 travel to Orlando
- 2019-20 season: July 31
- Free agency: Oct. 18
- 2020-21 targets: Nov. 10 training camp, Dec. 1 opening night (can remain fluid)
Pretty interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom