NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 77 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

MJ- 7
Payton-2
Webber-1
Anthony Davis-4
Mutombo-1

I got scoring, defense, rebounding and passing.

I was eyeing Payton as well.

If this really is supposed to be about guys in their prime, then I love Sabonis for $2.

Fun squad.

Fun was a big part of it. I’m going to pick guys i like in these things.

I think all 5 of those guys are matchup nightmares for their positions. Like, even a lot of good defenders would match up poorly with all of those guys. They would be impossible to defend.

Fun squad.

I like picking the fun squad idea. For my own personal fun squads. I'm picturing these as teams that would play really well together.

First Team
Steph ($6)
Klay ($3)
Melo ($1)
Webber ($1)
Walton ($4)

Second Team
Pistol Pete ($3)
David Thompson ($2)
Arvydas ($2)
Blake ($2)
T-Mac ($4)
(yes, I know I have a dollar left)

Very interesting, I like it. Hmm.. I'll think about this. In meantime, Green over Webber is hilarious. These are always open for criticism and subjective of course but I had to note that one.

I'm going with:

Stockton (5) -- elite passing PG, underrated defender and shooter, nobody will top his assist record
Mullin (1) -- elite scorer in his prime years, avg'd 25+ for 5 straight seasons
Melo (1) -- elite scorer in his prime years from anywhere on the court
Webber (1) -- very skilled and underrated big man, great scorer/rebounder/passer in his prime when healthy
Kareem (7) -- most unguardable shot in history, incredible longevity

Scoring clearly not a problem on that team. Think that’s enough to overcome any defensive weaknesses. Still have an elite shot blocker inside too, and great length with melo and webber.

Last edited:
So many potential combos. My most athletic team in their prime:

Rose (1)
D Thompson (2)
‘Nique (3)
Anthony Davis (4)
Wilt (5)

Edit- probably put Vince in over Davis.

Last edited:
I like picking the fun squad idea. For my own personal fun squads. I'm picturing these as teams that would play really well together.

First Team
Steph ($6)
Klay ($3)
Melo ($1)
Webber ($1)
Walton ($4)

Second Team
Pistol Pete ($3)
David Thompson ($2)
Arvydas ($2)
Blake ($2)
T-Mac ($4)
(yes, I know I have a dollar left)
The problem with team 1 is you took over 2 players from an era. That was part of it. Great team though!

i don't really like this team, but this is one i did

Payton
Klay
Artest
Lebron
Sabonis

I love my defense. And I love Arvydas, so I had to have him in there. But I dunno, i don't love that team at all. good luck trying to score though

The Ringer kinda blew it with a series based on an interesting idea that they just absolutely screwed up.

They've been doing a position by position breakdown of players from the past that would succeed in today's game. It's an interesting idea, if you take it from the perspective of identifying players from days before that style-wise were mismatched to their era that would thrive now.

Except that's not what they did at all. Instead they're writing articles about how all-time great like The Dream and Shaq would be good players today.

Be better tomorrow, The Ringer.

The Ringer kinda blew it with a series based on an interesting idea that they just absolutely screwed up.

They've been doing a position by position breakdown of players from the past that would succeed in today's game. It's an interesting idea, if you take it from the perspective of identifying players from days before that style-wise were mismatched to their era that would thrive now.

Except that's not what they did at all. Instead they're writing articles about how all-time great like The Dream and Shaq would be good players today.

Be better tomorrow, The Ringer.

John Hollinger and Nate Duncan did a podcast recently about the topic you wanted.

If the NBA adopts the top 16 the bracket is insanely harder for Milwaukee than the Lakers.

Bucks would get a first bye with the Magic but the Heat-Thunder second round and Celtics-76ers/Clippers-Mavs on their side versus.

Nets first round, Jazz-Rockets, Raptors-Grizzlies/ Nuggets-Pacers.
I hope the NBA lets teams play a couple more “regular” Season games then does natural East and west playoffs.

The Bucks is only harder because of the Clippers -- which of course is a big thing and unfair.

Not sure if you are implying the rest of the teams in that side of the bracket are harder as well - possibly not. If so i don't see it ... the Heats/Thunder for example is a more underwhelming second round pairing.

The Bucks is only harder because of the Clippers -- which of course is a big thing and unfair.

Not sure if you are implying the rest of the teams in that side of the bracket are harder as well - possibly not. If so i don't see it ... the Heats/Thunder for example is a more underwhelming second round pairing.
Your Raptors are the only team that could give the Lakers a series.
Putting the 76ers/Celtics and Clippers on the Bucks side isn’t fair.

I will say the NBA isn’t going to do what the NHL did.
They want every team to play 70 games so teams don’t have to give back any TV money to their regional partners.

That is why Lillard is causing a stink.
If they bring all 30 to Orlando let them play their 6 games or less to get to 70. Save money for the future and schedule those West teams to play each other in the 8 to 12 range.

I don’t like the World Cup idea which is creating 5 groups of 6 teams.
Group winners advance to the final 8 and the group runners playoff for the final 3 spots.

I don't really see why the NBA doesn't just take the top 8 from each conference and have a normal playoff bracket with all the games taking place in Orlando. I don't really understand the need to try any of these new ideas personally.

Sounds like the World Cup idea is dead at this point. If they ultimately go with the idea of seeding 1-16 regardless of conference, I don't like it but I don't think the road for Milwaukee is all that much tougher than the Lakers side of things personally.

Maybe the long hiatus and lack of home court advantage will throw things into disarray, but if it had played out as a normal season with the way the Bucks were playing all year, I don't really see anyone outside of the two LA teams (and possibly Toronto) as an equal. Flukey stuff could still happen, and obviously the Bucks would likely have to beat two LA teams instead of one, but Orlando, Miami, and Philly/Boston, aren't significantly tougher than Brooklyn, Houston, Toronto, and Denver in my eyes.

But again, I don't see why we shouldn't just play 1-8 and 1-8 like we always have if the season must come back.

I don't really see why the NBA doesn't just take the top 8 from each conference and have a normal playoff bracket with all the games taking place in Orlando. I don't really understand the need to try any of these new ideas personally.

Sounds like the World Cup idea is dead at this point. If they ultimately go with the idea of seeding 1-16 regardless of conference, I don't like it but I don't think the road for Milwaukee is all that much tougher than the Lakers side of things personally.

Maybe the long hiatus and lack of home court advantage will throw things into disarray, but if it had played out as a normal season with the way the Bucks were playing all year, I don't really see anyone outside of the two LA teams (and possibly Toronto) as an equal. Flukey stuff could still happen, and obviously the Bucks would likely have to beat two LA teams instead of one, but Orlando, Miami, and Philly/Boston, aren't significantly tougher than Brooklyn, Houston, Toronto, and Denver in my eyes.

But again, I don't see why we shouldn't just play 1-8 and 1-8 like we always have if the season must come back.

This is what I wish they did. Play seven game series. 1-8 seeds per conference. It will make it the most legitimate title they can make.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom