NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 79 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

As part of the plan to resume the season, James Harden has already been given two free throws.

Giddy-up!

So, no reason at all why your mention of Harden made me think of this, none AT ALL, but it'll be a lot of fun to see which players come back in shape and are ready to compete.

You know there are going to be some guys that, uh, took shelter-in-place really seriously.

How do they decide what the regular season matchups are? Seems important. Surely you can't just continue where the suspended season left off because not every team is coming back.

How do they decide what the regular season matchups are? Seems important. Surely you can't just continue where the suspended season left off because not every team is coming back.
I think I saw somewhere that the schedule will be the next 8 games from the existing schedule from the pool of teams that are there.

Now, how that magically lines up for each team, I have no idea.

Kevin Pelton was saying they could just give you the next 8 games on your schedule against the teams remaining. (I think one or 2 teams didnt have 8 games remaining against the returning teams, so you'd need to do something there)

I'm really surprised to see a target date of 12/1 for a return for next year

Kevin Pelton was saying they could just give you the next 8 games on your schedule against the teams remaining. (I think one or 2 teams didnt have 8 games remaining against the returning teams, so you'd need to do something there)

I'm really surprised to see a target date of 12/1 for a return for next year
I think I saw somewhere that the schedule will be the next 8 games from the existing schedule from the pool of teams that are there.

Now, how that magically lines up for each team, I have no idea.

Makes sense.

So, no reason at all why your mention of Harden made me think of this, none AT ALL, but it'll be a lot of fun to see which players come back in shape and are ready to compete.

You know there are going to be some guys that, uh, took shelter-in-place really seriously.

Like the ‘99 lockout. Shawn Kemp was never the same.

I am interested in what East-West matchups we get.

I would have Lakers and Bucks play a couple of times in those 8 becaUse those 2 Teams are locked into Their spots in the playoffs.

13 West 9 East is going make the schedules tough.
I would have all the teams fighting for positions play each other a couple of times.
Like Boston-Toronto
Miami-Philly-Indiana-
Brooklyn-Orlando
Denver-Clippers
Jazz-Rockets-Thunder-Mavs
Grizzlies-Pelicans-Blazers.

Whoever draws the Suns and the wiz will be quite fortunate
See I would throw the Suns and Wiz towards the Lakers and Bucks as well.
Make those bottom teams earn their way to within 4 games for the play-in tourney.
We all know they are going to make a schedule that appeals to TV.
Also teams are going to send their homecourts to Orlando so their “home” Games have their courts on TV.

Like the ‘99 lockout. Shawn Kemp was never the same.
Some might argue that Shawn Kemp's same was after the lockout, and it was the time before that that was his outlier.

Really? It's 2020. I feel like the technology to do it digitally is there, and that would be way easier than changing out floors all the time.
Their are over 30 courts at the WideWorld of Sports complex.

I think the intent is for every team to have their own “base” to play at within the complex.

I wonder if that's to ease into an eventual Christmas start the following year.
I think next season is going to be less than 82 games and the intent is for the season to end in 2021 so that NBA players can go to the Olympics.

So December to July is likely the 2021 calendar. Probably between 66 and 72 Games.

I think next season is going to be less than 82 games and the intent is for the season to end in 2021 so that NBA players can go to the Olympics.

So December to July is likely the 2021 calendar. Probably between 66 and 72 Games.
I think that's right.

I forgot about the Olympics. 82 games next year I guess is less likely.

But you do have a revenue shortfall. If you're the PA, are you going to vote for lower salary so the top players can play in the olympics?

But you do have a revenue shortfall. If you're the PA, are you going to vote for lower salary so the top players can play in the olympics?
What will Chris Paul do?!?!?!?!

What will Chris Paul do?!?!?!?!

Exactly!

His salary for next year is scheduled to be $41.358 million. If you cut the season down to 66 games, then he'd be losing 20% of that, or about $8 million.

That said, I'm guessing all salaries will be reduced next year due to the overall revenue shortfall, but Chris Paul isn't going to the Olympics. It's a lot of money to say no to, no matter where the cap ends next year

I wouldn't be surprised if the NBA players, in light of Minneapolis, were to decide not to play the rest of the season. A drastic, sustainable protest. They are by far the most political group of athletes.
I doubt it these guys want to get back to bball. They will do something to honor him but I can't see them not wanting to play.

Exactly!

His salary for next year is scheduled to be $41.358 million. If you cut the season down to 66 games, then he'd be losing 20% of that, or about $8 million.

That said, I'm guessing all salaries will be reduced next year due to the overall revenue shortfall, but Chris Paul isn't going to the Olympics. It's a lot of money to say no to, no matter where the cap ends next year
Whatever happens, he should make a mockumentary of the process with his boy Oscar from The Office.

I'd watch it.

NBA can make some revenue back by putting ads on jerseys beyond the one they have. Or putting ads on the floor.

I think its possible no NBA players in the Olympics next year -- or it could be like the World Hockey Championship in May each year... only players that miss or eliminated early in the playoffs would be eligible.

The NBA wanted players in the Olympics... but it never caused them lost revenues like it could this time which will make them change their tune.

I put the chance at a 2021 Summer Olympics happening at 10% or less.

Pro Sports can work now because you have it fairly localized and within borders.
The virus will still be lingering by next year, with some countries totally clean and others not. Even if their treatment advances, not every country will be in the same stage. Now you are going to congregate athletes and fans together from 200 different countries?

It would be easier if you dropped the fans from the games, but why would the Olympics do that. This is not like pro sports where a new season is every year, so a 12 month delay is a massive loss in revenue. If you miss the Olympics in 2021, you can simply move it to 2022 and not much has been lost.

As a Knick fan, please give us the two teams who make the finals and have about three weeks rest before training camp to start the new season with. Thanks

The NBA wants to end by July so the Olympics are a possibility for players that chose to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom