NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 90 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

Unfortunately his messaging rings hollow to me, as does much of the NBA given their involvement in China. Certain players I definitely respect, and listen to, but I put way more stock in an Enes Kanter than I do Lebron James.

Not to say he’s a bad person, or shouldn’t use his platform... he just doesn’t resonate with me and I suspect others, of course not all, feel the same.
You're overthinking this. What could LeBron possibly say that could actually affect change in China? His voice is loud and important here. Just like Enes Kanter's voice is important in Turkey. Nothing anyone on any NBA team, including the commissioner or the owners, would ever make a lick of difference in China. None. They don't care.

Was the NBA being hypocritical then? Absolutely.

Unfortunately his messaging rings hollow to me, as does much of the NBA given their involvement in China. Certain players I definitely respect, and listen to, but I put way more stock in an Enes Kanter than I do Lebron James.

Not to say he’s a bad person, or shouldn’t use his platform... he just doesn’t resonate with me and I suspect many others, of course not all, feel the same.
I get where you're coming from, but it's also funny, because Kanter is an idiot, and LeBron is not.

You're overthinking this. What could LeBron possibly say that could actually affect change in China? His voice is loud and important here. Just like Enes Kanter's voice is important in Turkey. Nothing anyone on any NBA team, including the commissioner or the owners, would ever make a lick of difference in China. None. They don't care.

Was the NBA being hypocritical then? Absolutely.
The NBA is hugely popular in China. Speaking up against the Communist Party and potentially pulling out/getting kicked out of doing business there would make a massive global statement. They are 100x worse than we are here... if one truly cares about injustice, speak up when it hurts you, not only when it’s societally acceptable - and in fact, helps your brand.

I absolutely get why they would never rock the boat there... so I have the right to roll my eyes at their selective activism.

The NBA is hugely popular in China. Speaking up against the Communist Party and potentially pulling out/getting kicked out of doing business there would make a massive global statement. They are 100x worse than we are here... if one truly cares about injustice, speak up when it hurts you, not only when it’s societally acceptable - and in fact, helps your brand.
Sure, it's a statement, but nothing will change because of that statement. The communist party won't change a thing. I know what you are saying, but what's the point? Sure, LeBron flubbed that one. He shouldn't flub this one, especially since his kids still live here in the US.

Sure, it's a statement, but nothing will change because of that statement. The communist party won't change a thing. I know what you are saying, but what's the point? Sure, LeBron flubbed that one. He shouldn't flub this one, especially since his kids still live here in the US.
The problem is the NBA made it a goal to expand in China. Its a major part of their branding and business model. It’s NBA-specific. Not NFL, not MLB, not NHL... NBA.

They don’t have to own it, or speak up, but they deserve the criticism they get for not doing so.

It’s a hard hit to take financially but if they truly cared about injustice, they wouldn’t profit off a government that oppresses their people to a level they will never understand living in America. We have our problems, we have to be better and we have people who we need to say “matter”, but we don’t have concentration camps and censorship by threat of death or imprisonment.

They built an empire off blood money and want to be taken seriously in the social justice fight? I’m not trying to hear all that.

I’ll view it individually, and some players I respect more than others, but the NBA as a whole... **** that noise.

Lakers could be in trouble if the Blazers snuck into the 8 seed.
Dion/JR Smith will get minutes and Caruso guarding Lillard and McCollum would be a bad matchup.

That is the type of team that could give the Lakers trouble.
They probably want to avoid the Thunder and Rockets now.
Perimeter defense for the Lakers will be a big issue.

Portland would be a great 8 seed with their health after the break and that backcourt would be tough to deal with but I don’t know who they have that could stop LeBron and AD enough to win 4 out of 7. And if I have to pick between duos to carry a series I’d go LeBron/AD over Dame/CJ ten times out of ten.

I kinda half expect Caruso to play pretty well and emerge during this. I also half expect the Dion/JR/Dwight/Javale/Morris twin group to end up evolving into a must see tv what’s going to happen next situation. And the longer they’re isolated in the bubble the more unpredictable it gets.

Portland would be a great 8 seed with their health after the break and that backcourt would be tough to deal with but I don’t know who they have that could stop LeBron and AD enough to win 4 out of 7. And if I have to pick between duos to carry a series I’d go LeBron/AD over Dame/CJ ten times out of ten.

I kinda half expect Caruso to play pretty well and emerge during this. I also half expect the Dion/JR/Dwight/Javale/Morris twin group to end up evolving into a must see tv what’s going to happen next situation. And the longer they’re isolated in the bubble the more unpredictable it gets.

The JR/Lebron picture from the finals a few years ago is gonna make a huge comeback the next few months

Rajon Rondo out 6 to 8 weeks with a broken thumb.
No Bradley and No Rondo is tough for the Lakers.

So the Lakers are going to rely on LeBron James and Alex Caruso as their PGs.

And Quinn Cook.

These NBA guys are beyond spoiled. No one during a pandemic wants to hear how miserable they are staying at a Disney resort. Having world class chefs cook for you staying at hotels for free that would cost me an entire paycheck for one night. It really is embarrassing.

These NBA guys are beyond spoiled. No one during a pandemic wants to hear how miserable they are staying at a Disney resort. Having world class chefs cook for you staying at hotels for free that would cost me an entire paycheck for one night. It really is embarrassing.
I want to hear how miserable they are.

The NBA’s annual performance awards (MVP, Rookie of Year, Sixth Man, Defensive Player, Coach of Year, etc.) will be based upon regular season through March 11, when the season suspended.

And if that is the case they might as well announce it now.. or else it may not look that way when they finally do so.

Edit: NBA has informed teams: "The decision to exclude seeding games from awards voting ensures a fair process in which players and coaches from all 30 teams will have the same opportunity to be honored..." League will soon announce voting process and plan to announce winners.

Last edited:
The NBA’s annual performance awards (MVP, Rookie of Year, Sixth Man, Defensive Player, Coach of Year, etc.) will be based upon regular season through March 11, when the season suspended.

And if that is the case they might as well announce it now.. or else it may not look that way when they finally do so.

Edit: NBA has informed teams: "The decision to exclude seeding games from awards voting ensures a fair process in which players and coaches from all 30 teams will have the same opportunity to be honored..." League will soon announce voting process and plan to announce winners.
Yeah, if that's the case, they have to lock in the votes now.

It's funny for months now people have been talking about putting an asterisk on winning a championship. This might be the toughest championship that anyone has had to win.

Enes Kanter interview on Bill Simmons podcast well worth a listen to, particularly the last portion where he talks about the crazy he had to deal with , given his status in Turkey

The NBA's award voting will be conducted July 21-28 before season resumption and awards will be announced during the playoffs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom