NBA Thread 2020-21 Season | Page 125 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2020-21 Season

Lakers were never moving THT. Nor were the Heat moving Hero. Tough spot for Toronto.

Wow, the return Houston got for Oladipo is just...yuck. Avery Bradley, Kelly Olynyk, and a swap of draft picks.

That’s because stone is an idiot .. had they kept Levert instead of flipping for Dipo, they could have gotten something legit

Had they kept Allen instead of trading him for Milwaukee’s late 1st round pick (through Cleveland ) they could have gotten a serious haul

This GM is playing checkers vs a bunch of chess masters

Disappointing to see the Raps could not move Lowry. In my head I had moved on from the team this year.

My initial thought on the Powell trade was "Meh", but thinking it through it made sense.
- Gary Trent is sort of a Powell replacement, and as an RFA his cap hold was 5-6 million less than Norm.
- Gives the Raps more money to go free agent something with over $20Million of cap space.
- They then resign Gary Trent to more than the hold, go over the cap, and get a full MLE.

Lowry could have a value in a sign and trade, but the problem with that is that you will get salary in return next year and burn that cap space.

At a high level, Bobby Webster is still a relatively new GM. On the bright side, if the Raps were unable to bend on chicken poop offers it creates negotiation equity in the future where teams know that Webster could just decide not to play.

I'm never 100% clear on how this work, but I believe if you use cap space then you don't get to access the MLE at all.

I am surprised Lowry is sticking around though. It also makes me think maybe he wasnt dead set on leaving? If he was, maybe they take a less than perfect offer just because he's Kyle Lowry and they feel they owe it to him

Sounds like no buyout for Otto Porter.

LaMarcus Aldridge likely headed to Miami.

We'll see about Jeff Teague/Austin Rivers. I expect one of them to end up in Milwaukee.

Sounds like no buyout for Otto Porter.

LaMarcus Aldridge likely headed to Miami.

We'll see about Jeff Teague/Austin Rivers. I expect one of them to end up in Milwaukee.
If Miami comes out of this with Aldridge and Oladipo, that's quite an under the radar reload.

That Oladipo trade is a such a joke.
The Rockets in essence did this.
TBH I don't think it looks that much worse now than it did at the time lol. The players they got in return for Harden were always bad. Certainly looks like they should have taken LeVert instead of Oladipo, but I think they simply don't like LeVert as a player (and I can't really say I blame them for that).

That trade was always only going to be salvageable if they nail it with the picks.

If Miami comes out of this with Aldridge and Oladipo, that's quite an under the radar reload.
I'm not sure either player is good or fits with that team but still worth a try from their perspective.

TBH I don't think it looks that much worse now than it did at the time lol. The players they got in return for Harden were always bad. Certainly looks like they should have taken LeVert instead of Oladipo, but I think they simply don't like LeVert as a player (and I can't really say I blame them for that).

That trade was always only going to be salvageable if they nail it with the picks.

Also I think to categorize the picks as "late first round picks" is not wise. the 22 Brooklyn first rounder probably, but 24 and 26? And the 25 and 27 swaps? We have no idea what Brooklyn is going to look like.

Also I think to categorize the picks as "late first round picks" is not wise. the 22 Brooklyn first rounder probably, but 24 and 26? And the 25 and 27 swaps? We have no idea what Brooklyn is going to look like.
That doesn't get the retweets though.

I'm never 100% clear on how this work, but I believe if you use cap space then you don't get to access the MLE at all.

I am surprised Lowry is sticking around though. It also makes me think maybe he wasnt dead set on leaving? If he was, maybe they take a less than perfect offer just because he's Kyle Lowry and they feel they owe it to him
You are correct on the MLE part -- someone on the Raps board corrected me. Apparently you can get one of the other ones, but nothing as attractive as the MLE.

I have convinced myself to like the Powell-Trent deal. As independent outsiders what is your take? The key point is that if the Raptors had decided to move forward with Powell instead of Trent it would have cost them $11.5 million of free cap space (comparing their cap holds). Trent is a pretty decent player at 22, and in a few years could be very close to the level of Powell as well.

Powell has become an efficient 20ppg scorer (65% TS is ridiculously good). He is certainly not bad defensively by any means, but he is not at the 2 way level that the rest of the core is (Siakam, OG, FVV). But other than being an efficient scorer doesn't deliver too much to help the team.

I have convinced myself to like the Powell-Trent deal. As independent outsiders what is your take? The key point is that if the Raptors had decided to move forward with Powell instead of Trent it would have cost them $11.5 million of free cap space (comparing their cap holds). Trent is a pretty decent player at 22, and in a few years could be very close to the level of Powell as well.

Powell has become an efficient 20ppg scorer (65% TS is ridiculously good). He is certainly not bad defensively by any means, but he is not at the 2 way level that the rest of the core is (Siakam, OG, FVV). But other than being an efficient scorer doesn't deliver too much to help the team.

I think the cop out (but correct) answer is: it depends on what they do with the extra cap space they get from the low cap hold on Trent. There's a reasonable chance Powell isn't really as good as he's been this year, and Trent is pretty close to as good.

Raps are in a little bit of a weird spot now. They still have some quality young-ish guys, but they also seem to be taking a step back for a year or two. Masai always seems to have something up his sleeve though.

I haven’t been interested in the nba at all this year. The bubble was far more entertaining.

It doesn’t matter if they liked Allen or levert .. what matters is those guys had more inherent value league wide than what the rockets extracted from them ..

It doesn’t matter if they liked Allen or levert .. what matters is those guys had more inherent value league wide than what the rockets extracted from them ..
Probably true of LeVert but we don’t really know for sure. He’s been hurt for awhile now and struggled when he has played. I’m not sure anyone is beating down the door to acquire him at this point. He likely needs to rebuild his value some. Oladipo just got traded for literally nothing so you’d think LeVert could fetch something better than that, but he’s locked in to a big long term deal, is constantly injured, and might not be good when healthy either.

they got a first round pick for Allen. I doubt they were ever going to get more than that, certainly not a lot more.

They should have just traded for Simmons, one of their young guys and a 1st rounder would have been much better off. The stock piling of draft picks just gives GM's more time to keep their jobs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom