NBA Thread 2020-21 Season | Page 126 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2020-21 Season

They should have just traded for Simmons, one of their young guys and a 1st rounder would have been much better off. The stock piling of draft picks just gives GM's more time to keep their jobs
Yeah I think that was really the much larger up if Simmons was really on the table. Seems like Houston cared more about clearing their books than anything else but from a team building perspective, I would have much rather gotten Simmons to build around than essentially draft picks and nothing else.

I have convinced myself to like the Powell-Trent deal. As independent outsiders what is your take? The key point is that if the Raptors had decided to move forward with Powell instead of Trent it would have cost them $11.5 million of free cap space (comparing their cap holds). Trent is a pretty decent player at 22, and in a few years could be very close to the level of Powell as well.

Powell has become an efficient 20ppg scorer (65% TS is ridiculously good). He is certainly not bad defensively by any means, but he is not at the 2 way level that the rest of the core is (Siakam, OG, FVV). But other than being an efficient scorer doesn't deliver too much to help the team.
Not sure I like messing with Portlands chemistry. Gary’s a huge part of that. But otherwise it makes sense.

Yeah I think that was really the much larger up if Simmons was really on the table. Seems like Houston cared more about clearing their books than anything else but from a team building perspective, I would have much rather gotten Simmons to build around than essentially draft picks and nothing else.

Also very interesting to think how different the east is if Philly lands Harden. They have to be the favorite, no? (at least to come out of the east, but probably to win it all.) I guess assuming you do get Embiid back. But a 1-2 punch of Harden and Embiid is unbelievable

Also very interesting to think how different the east is if Philly lands Harden. They have to be the favorite, no? (at least to come out of the east, but probably to win it all.) I guess assuming you do get Embiid back. But a 1-2 punch of Harden and Embiid is unbelievable
Probably, yeah. I think Philly is still capable as constructed honestly but Harden and Embiid would have been a diabolical combination.

Worst loss ever ?

Rockets were up 101-85 against the team with the worst record in the NBA .. they scored their 101st point with 7:31 left

Final score : Houston 101- Minnesota 107

Think about how hard that is to do

Probably, yeah. I think Philly is still capable as constructed honestly but Harden and Embiid would have been a diabolical combination.

I love how harden is basically doing the same crap in New Jersey he was doing in Houston .. but now all of a sudden it’s great, winning basketball .. while in Houston he was a selfish stat padder .. go figure

I love how harden is basically doing the same crap in New Jersey he was doing in Houston .. but now all of a sudden it’s great, winning basketball .. while in Houston he was a selfish stat padder .. go figure
Don't worry, I still consider him a selfish stay padder.

Do nothing at the deadline and have Andre Drummond fall into your lap. Nice work by Pelinka.

Avery Bradley makes sense if he is bought out. No clue what the solution is but lousy teams acting as late season farm teams and getting no compensation is pretty dumb. I’d be livid if I was a fan of a second tier contender.

Do nothing at the deadline and have Andre Drummond fall into your lap. Nice work by Pelinka.

Avery Bradley makes sense if he is bought out. No clue what the solution is but lousy teams acting as late season farm teams and getting no compensation is pretty dumb. I’d be livid if I was a fan of a second tier contender.
What hopefully someone can explain to me is how Drummond goes through waivers and every team passes on him and then ends up on the Lakers for next to nothing. It appears the agents have too much power and too many clients that creates these issues. Definitely a head scratcher.

What hopefully someone can explain to me is how Drummond goes through waivers and every team passes on him and then ends up on the Lakers for next to nothing. It appears the agents have too much power and too many clients that creates these issues. Definitely a head scratcher.
Because he goes through waivers at a 30 million salary. Not one team can pick him up under the cap.

Because he goes through waivers at a 30 million salary. Not one team can pick him up under the cap.
Yup.

This could be solved by having the waiver claim assume the vet minimum slot, but I don't think the NBA actually wants that. It's not bad for the NBA to have major market teams stack their rosters this way. Even though it's lame.

I really don't think the buyout thing is that big a deal. Most of the time, the guys being bought out are being bought out for a reason (like, they aren't really that good. I understand also there is a financial component, I do get that).

Hollinger was writing about this today. The nets are bringing Aldridge in and I'm sure they promised him he was going to play. If he takes minutes from Nic Claxton, is that really a good thing for them? I know lots more people know who Aldirdge is than Claxton, but Claxton is very likely a better player, and also won't have a problem with not playing a lot if the situation dictates they go small.

I also don't think teams (or players, really) would be in favor of strongly changing the buyout system. Aldridge, for instance, gave up a ton of money to get bought out and be able to basically pick his landing spot. (Spurs, btw, are in a playoff race. They aren't Cleveland or Detroit) If he couldn't pick his landing spot, he probably doesn't give money back to the Spurs, so he doesn't get bought out, the Spurs stay over/near the tax, etc.

Russ last night: 35 points, 14 rebounds, 21 assists. That is insane.

"It marked just the third time in league history a player topped 30 points, 10 rebounds and 20 assists: Oscar Robertson (32-15-20) did so on Dec. 11, 1961 vs. Chicago; Magic Johnson (32-11-20) turned in the other on Nov. 28, 1988 at Philadelphia."

Russ last night: 35 points, 14 rebounds, 21 assists. That is insane.
It's always been weird to me that the triple double was considered a big achievement, then Westbrook made it normal for himself, and basketball peeps didn't like it and started downplaying the triple double.

Look, if a triple double is good enough for Ice Cube, I say everyone else can just shut right up.

It's always been weird to me that the triple double was considered a big achievement, then Westbrook made it normal for himself, and basketball peeps didn't like it and started downplaying the triple double.

Look, if a triple double is good enough for Ice Cube, I say everyone else can just shut right up.

I also think we're just seeing more of everything now. Guys are putting up stat lines that would've been noteworthy even 7-10 years ago on nearly a nightly basis and we don't bat an eye. For me, growing up as a kid, I'd read about Oscar Robertson averaging a triple double and I couldn't even fathom how it was even remotely possible.

35 points and 21 assists is a hell of a game though.

I also think we're just seeing more of everything now. Guys are putting up stat lines that would've been noteworthy even 7-10 years ago on nearly a nightly basis and we don't bat an eye. For me, growing up as a kid, I'd read about Oscar Robertson averaging a triple double and I couldn't even fathom how it was even remotely possible.

35 points and 21 assists is a hell of a game though.
Yeah, definitely some context to that.

We also lived through an era as young people when uggo, control tempo ball was a winning strategy, so that makes some of the recent stat lines seem even wilder.

Yeah, definitely some context to that.

We also lived through an era as young people when uggo, control tempo ball was a winning strategy, so that makes some of the recent stat lines seem even wilder.

I did a post a while back, no idea if I can find it, counting up the # of games that hit some statistical threshold (25-10-5 or something; it wasnt exactly like that) and if memory serves they've doubled even in the last 6-7 years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom