NBA Thread 2020-21 Season | Page 150 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2020-21 Season

If Steph wins MVP it would be only the second time in league history a player on a non-playoff team won it. (Kareem 1976)
Steph is basically locked into 3rd. Jokic and Embiid are 1,2 in a separate tier.

If Steph wins MVP it would be only the second time in league history a player on a non-playoff team won it. (Kareem 1976)
I get it. But the warriors were 6 games above .500 when the season ended and IN the playoffs. If this play in game happened every year throughout history, how many 7/8 seeds miss playoffs? A substantial amount.

I've personally never gotten the sense that Bird was underrated. If anything he gets more than his share of respect.

Underrated are guys like Moses Malone, Elvin Hayes, Elgin Baylor, Bob Pettit, etc.

Agreed.

Lakers played poorly this series is still theirs IMO.
Phoenix needs Ayton to have any chance though. He won’t go 10 for 11 and 15 rebounds that easily again.

Caruso does some chippy stuff that doesn’t get called.

Ehh not sold. I still don't think AD is right physically and they just are not good on offense when he or Lebron sits. Phoenix certainly has a lot of weapons.

I swear some of the worst arguments I have ever seen are Denver fans on twitter trying to justify booing a 36 year old legend who gave the team 7 years and is the 3rd leading scorer in Denver history. From what I have read there was simply not enough disrespectful antics from Melo in the trade request process to justify booing him 10 damn years later. And then you compare how average it was to recent examples like AD and Harden, or situations like Lebron leaving Cleveland. Just a whiny fanbase. Hope Portland sweeps. They say they never forget, but have clearly forgotten the levels of crap they were playing at before he arrived.

I swear some of the worst arguments I have ever seen are Denver fans on twitter trying to justify booing a 36 year old legend who gave the team 7 years and is the 3rd leading scorer in Denver history. From what I have read there was simply not enough disrespectful antics from Melo in the trade request process to justify booing him 10 damn years later. And then you compare how average it was to recent examples like AD and Harden, or situations like Lebron leaving Cleveland. Just a whiny fanbase. Hope Portland sweeps. They say they never forget, but have clearly forgotten the levels of crap they were playing at before he arrived.
Melo put them on the map. They were the worst franchise in the league for a solid decade before he got there. Ungrateful peasants.

I'm beating a dead horse still... but DAMN the warriors as the 8 seed vs the Jazz would have been fantastic. Absolutely a good chance Steph et al would beat them. So disappointing the Warriors could not escape the play in. Memphis is gritty and fun and young, but just not the same excitement at all.

What's funny to is I have a LOT of back and forth with friends about Curry. They think he's a bit overrated (along with Kerr) given he could not get them into the playoffs, despite having a team that does have some pieces (Wiggins, Green, Oubre for portion of year). "If he's so good why did he miss the playoffs" type of argument. But on the other end, if they did beat Memphis on Friday they would imo have a decent chance to beat Jazz, the 1 seed.

I'm beating a dead horse still... but DAMN the warriors as the 8 seed vs the Jazz would have been fantastic. Absolutely a good chance Steph et al would beat them. So disappointing the Warriors could not escape the play in. Memphis is gritty and fun and young, but just not the same excitement at all.

What's funny to is I have a LOT of back and forth with friends about Curry. They think he's a bit overrated (along with Kerr) given he could not get them into the playoffs, despite having a team that does have some pieces (Wiggins, Green, Oubre for portion of year). "If he's so good why did he miss the playoffs" type of argument. But on the other end, if they did beat Memphis on Friday they would imo have a decent chance to beat Jazz, the 1 seed.
I think the Jazz expected to be at full strength for the playoffs, and holding Mitchell out messed with their heads.

Yeah you’re friends are idiots. You can tell them that.

Melo put them on the map. They were the worst franchise in the league for a solid decade before he got there. Ungrateful peasants.
Before Melo they were being made fun of on the Simpsons as Frankenstein being made from pieces of players from the Denver Nuggets.

They also took that Turkish guy over Amari Stoudemire.

I think the Jazz expected to be at full strength for the playoffs, and holding Mitchell out messed with their heads.
I was surprised Mitchell did not play last night especially since I took them at -9!

I think Steph showed how much of an MVP he really is because if you take him off this Warriors team I think they’re like last year they got a 21 win team.

Memphis has more talent I think as a team. Steph is just showing how ridiculous and underrated he really was. I think Utah will beat Memphis in six as long Mitchell plays.

I think Golden State may gotten one game of Utah in the playoffs. The warrior roster really isn’t that great without Clay and Wiseman

My takeaways from all the game 1s that stood out. Caveat, no series is won in game 1. Any team can still win.

Don't care what happens in the regular season, the best players in the league, when healthy, are still: Bron, Steph, Luka, Kawhi, Harden, KD, Giannis in whatever order you want. I refuse to put Jokic/AD/Embiid in that group right now. And John Hollinger can take Rudy Gobert and make him MVP of his own island or something.

Which brings me to Lakers/Phx. I think the Lakers can still win, especially if CP3 is dinged up. But AD cannot be considered a top level guy when he disappears in huge games. He's the king of "looks like AD is heading back to the locker room to get that ankle/hand/body part looked at". The dude has a ridiculous ceiling, but he is not a #1 on a title winning team. I still think the Lakers will figure it out.

The stuff with Mitchell playing / not playing was really odd and ill-timed.

Luka had a million different looks thrown his way and absolutely sliced and diced the Clips up. He is sooooo good. I'll say it again, Phx and Atl should get just as much blowback as Sacramento for not selecting him. If he drags this Mavs team to a victory over the Clips with KP looking like he'd rather be almost anywhere else and heavily relying on Do Do and THJr this much, he deserves to be able to take Jokic's impending MVP.

Knicks/Atlanta will have close games almost every game. Randle has to get his mojo back for game 2.

Philly should sweep or almost sweep Washington. Brooklyn should sweep the Cs. Glad the Bucks have Jrue Holiday. Giannis FTs are making me very nervous.

So the Mitchell thing was really weird. Supposedly earlier that day he was under the impression he was good to go and would play. He wasn't on the injury report.

Then someone at some point made the call that he wasn't playing.

The Jazz front office kinda does weird dumb things like this sometimes.

Last edited:
I get in round one there's a schedule crunch on certain days, and I hate the Clippers with the fire of 1000 suns so it's funny, but I can't believe on Tuesday night the Clippers/Dallas game 2 is on NBA TV with the amount of stars in that series. I figured with the blowout potential they'd stick Utah/Memphis on NBA TV midweek.

Who could possibly like Trae Young???

Hated the outcome but the seats were pretty damn good

IMG_6246.jpg

Jokic won. The only question is if it’s unanimous or not. It looks like it’s a kinda tight race for 2nd between Embiid and Steph but looks like it’ll likely be Embiid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom