NBA Thread 2020-21 Season | Page 229 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2020-21 Season

Stockton is right up there with anyone. Unfortunately he played in the wrong era for point guards, but I have no doubt he would have dominated had he played in this era. He just happened to play in an era where pg’s weren’t asked to score as much.
Crazy that he shot over 40% from 3 7 different times and still never had over 3 attempts per game.

Surprisingly great squad outside the 2.

C: Alonzo Mourning
PF: Anthony Davis
SF: Zion Williamson
SG: Rex Chapman or Eddie Jones. Doesn't appear Glen Rice or Baron Davis played the 2 at all.
PG: Chris Paul

Here's a fun game, I remember reading about it during covid last year (I think? Maybe before that). Don't think it was mentioned here, if not, well, whatever

Pick a 5 man all time team for an NBA team, but the catch is, none of the players can have been teammates with any of the other 4 guys. So if I was doing the Knicks (I am), and I wanted Clyde Frazier as my PG (I do), then it rules out everyone he ever played with on the Knicks.

so the Knicks are probably something like

Clyde Frazier
Carmelo Anthony
Patrick Ewing

Those 3 are the easy ones (to me at least). Thhere are two guards who played for them in the 50/60s who made 5-6 AS teams, Carl Braun/Richie Guerin. Maybe one of them is your other guard. Is it too early to put Randle on this team?

It's not easy!
Bernard King?

Obviously the comparison isn't quite apples to apples but just some resume comparisons for some of the other PGs:

Oscar Robertson
  • 9 1st team All-NBA
  • 2 2nd team All-NBA
  • 1 MVP
  • 1 MVP runner up
  • 7 other top 5 MVP finishes
  • 12 All Stars
Isiah:
  • 3 1st team All-NBA
  • 2 2nd team All-NBA
  • 1 Finals MVP
  • 1 5th place MVP finish
  • 12 All Stars
CP3:
  • 4 1st team All-NBA
  • 5 2nd team All-NBA
  • 1 3rd team All-NBA
  • 1 MVP runner-up
  • 4 other top 5 MVP finishes
  • 11 All Stars
Steve Nash:
  • 3 1st team All-NBA
  • 2 2nd team All-NBA
  • 2 3rd team All-NBA
  • 2 MVPs
  • 1 MVP runner-up
  • 8 All Stars
John Stockton:
  • 2 1st team All-NBA
  • 6 2nd team All-NBA
  • 3 3rd team All-NBA
  • 0 top 5 MVP finishes
  • 10 All Stars (more All-NBAs than All Stars lol)
Jason Kidd:
  • 5 1st team All-NBA
  • 1 2nd team All-NBA
  • 1 MVP runner-up
  • 1 5th place MVP finish
  • 10 All Stars
I think Oscar is pretty clearly the #2 or #3 PG all-time. I'd go with CP3 after that, and then it's a debate between Nash and Isiah IMO for #5.

Here's a fun game, I remember reading about it during covid last year (I think? Maybe before that). Don't think it was mentioned here, if not, well, whatever

Pick a 5 man all time team for an NBA team, but the catch is, none of the players can have been teammates with any of the other 4 guys. So if I was doing the Knicks (I am), and I wanted Clyde Frazier as my PG (I do), then it rules out everyone he ever played with on the Knicks.

so the Knicks are probably something like

Clyde Frazier
Carmelo Anthony
Patrick Ewing

Those 3 are the easy ones (to me at least). Thhere are two guards who played for them in the 50/60s who made 5-6 AS teams, Carl Braun/Richie Guerin. Maybe one of them is your other guard. Is it too early to put Randle on this team?

It's not easy!
If it’s what they did in their careers, Marbury would be a good pick. But obviously his Knicks tenure was rocky to say the least, lol.

Obviously the comparison isn't quite apples to apples but just some resume comparisons for some of the other PGs:

Oscar Robertson
  • 9 1st team All-NBA
  • 2 2nd team All-NBA
  • 1 MVP
  • 1 MVP runner up
  • 7 other top 5 MVP finishes
  • 12 All Stars
Isiah:
  • 3 1st team All-NBA
  • 2 2nd team All-NBA
  • 1 Finals MVP
  • 1 5th place MVP finish
  • 12 All Stars
CP3:
  • 4 1st team All-NBA
  • 5 2nd team All-NBA
  • 1 3rd team All-NBA
  • 1 MVP runner-up
  • 4 other top 5 MVP finishes
  • 11 All Stars
Steve Nash:
  • 3 1st team All-NBA
  • 2 2nd team All-NBA
  • 2 3rd team All-NBA
  • 2 MVPs
  • 1 MVP runner-up
  • 8 All Stars
John Stockton:
  • 2 1st team All-NBA
  • 6 2nd team All-NBA
  • 3 3rd team All-NBA
  • 0 top 5 MVP finishes
  • 10 All Stars (more All-NBAs than All Stars lol)
Jason Kidd:
  • 5 1st team All-NBA
  • 1 2nd team All-NBA
  • 1 MVP runner-up
  • 1 5th place MVP finish
  • 10 All Stars
I think Oscar is pretty clearly the #2 or #3 PG all-time. I'd go with CP3 after that, and then it's a debate between Nash and Isiah IMO for #5.
I wasn’t thinking of Oscar as a PG, but yeah he’s an obvious choice if he qualifies. Don’t know why I was under the impression he played more 2 guard?

Isiah not making an All NBA team after 87 is a joke though, which makes his resume look lesser than it should look. Guy is the star player on title teams running through Jordan, Bird, and Magic, and they don’t put him on All NBA ever again...”coincidentally” after he made his Larry Bird comments.

My Celtics 5 for Knicks rules

Bill Russell-C
Larry Bird -SF
Jayson Tatum-SG
Kevin Garnett-PF
Gary Payton- PG

I wasn’t thinking of Oscar as a PG, but yeah he’s an obvious choice if he qualifies. Don’t know why I was under the impression he played more 2 guard?

Isiah not making an All NBA team after 87 is a joke though, which makes his resume look lesser than it should look. Guy is the star player on title teams running through Jordan, Bird, and Magic, and they don’t put him on All NBA ever again...”coincidentally” after he made his Larry Bird comments.
Oscar was before the whole PG idea.
If he counts then he would be in my top 5.
Some people don’t consider Steph a PG. I do.

My Celtics 5 for Knicks rules

Bill Russell-C
Larry Bird -SF
Jayson Tatum-SG
Kevin Garnett-PF
Gary Payton- PG
Hot take: Sherman Douglas was a better Celtic than Gary Payton.

Hot take: Sherman Douglas was a better Celtic than Gary Payton.
I am going with the assumption I am getting prime Gary Payton and not the Boston Celtic Payton the premise doesn’t say you get the version when they were on the team.
Just the player. Cause which verision of Kobe would I get?
If I am getting 2000 Shaq then he is an obvious pick.

Oscar was definitely a PG.

Fun to do a Sonics lineup. Get the one year of Durant. And both Gary Payton and Ray Allen because of the trade. The top off with some good players from the 1970s

PG - Gary Payton
SG - Ray Allen
SF - Kevin Durant
PF - Spencer Haywood
C - Jack Sikma

I would say you get the (best) version of the player when he played for that team, so I don't think you'd want GP on the Celtics.
Sixers:
Doug Collins
Allen Iverson
Jimmy Butler
Charles Barkley
Wilt Chamberlain

See thats a real interesting one, you basically need to choose between Doc and Chuck.

Not totally sure it would work out positionally, but you gotta get Embiid in there, right? I think you can be somewhat liberal with positions. Obviously your laker team couldnt have Shaq/Kareem/Wilt or something like that, but I'd allow Wilt and Embiid, i think.

I would say you get the (best) version of the player when he played for that team, so I don't think you'd want GP on the Celtics.

See thats a real interesting one, you basically need to choose between Doc and Chuck.

Not totally sure it would work out positionally, but you gotta get Embiid in there, right? I think you can be somewhat liberal with positions. Obviously your laker team couldnt have Shaq/Kareem/Wilt or something like that, but I'd allow Wilt and Embiid, i think.
I was thinking Collins played with Doc, so I went with Chuck.

Though could go Doc and like Hersey Hawkins or something instead.

Nick Van Exel
Jerry West
LeBron James
Pau Gasol
Kareem Abdul Jabbar

2 Hall of famers, 2 future Hall of famers, and an all star PG. Arguably two of the 3 greatest players of all time, plus another arguable top 10 guy.

And the amazing (sad if you arent a laker fan?) is I could also do this

Magic
Kobe
Baylor
Anthony Davis
George Mikan (LOL)

and have another killer team with none of the guys you took

And the amazing (sad if you arent a laker fan?) is I could also do this

Magic
Kobe
Baylor
Anthony Davis
George Mikan (LOL)

and have another killer team with none of the guys you took
Yeah, when you can pick a GOAT center from basically any decade needed, it makes things a lot easier, lol.

I was thinking Collins played with Doc, so I went with Chuck.

Though could go Doc and like Hersey Hawkins or something instead.

Thats true also, I just meant Chuck and Doc played together, so you could only have one no matter what.

Per BBref, Dolph Schayes is the Sixers all time leader in WAR, but thats basically all from the Syracuse Nationals day, so i dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom