NBA Thread 2020-21 Season | Page 253 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2020-21 Season

When players like John Collins are getting 120, million somebody was going to give Julius Randle Max.
John Collins didn't get that in the market. He got that from his own team who has basically a choice between paying him that or losing him for nothing. Pretty big difference.

The Randle extension is really a no brainer to me. Demar Derozan just signed for 3/85. I agree it's very unlikely Randle is the player he was last year, but that guy is like a $40 million a year player.

John Collins didn't get that in the market. He got that from his own team who has basically a choice between paying him that or losing him for nothing. Pretty big difference.

But if the implication is they were going to lose Collins if they didnt pay him that much (and no one else could pay him that much anyway but point taken) doesnt that mean some other team would? Meaning there would also be an offer out there for Randle next summer?

to be clear, he was awful in the playoffs. And that does worry me. But this is basically as cheap as I thought they could sign him. So I'm very happy with it.

The Randle extension is really a no brainer to me. Demar Derozan just signed for 3/85. I agree it's very unlikely Randle is the player he was last year, but that guy is like a $40 million a year player.

But if the implication is they were going to lose Collins if they didnt pay him that much (and no one else could pay him that much anyway but point taken) doesnt that mean some other team would? Meaning there would also be an offer out there for Randle next summer?

to be clear, he was awful in the playoffs. And that does worry me. But this is basically as cheap as I thought they could sign him. So I'm very happy with it.
I suppose it would all depend on what Randle is this year. Can easily see him maintaining what he did last year but can just as easily see him be what he was the year before and prior, which is an inefficient player that doesn't really contribute to winning basketball in any measurable way. If he reverts back to the latter and you've now hitched your wagon to him being the face of the franchise then probably looking at being a play-in tournament team for the foreseeable future and then getting a 1st round whooping. There's certainly an argument to be made that waiting and verifying what happened is the new normal even if that costs you more in the long term. They aren't going to have cap space anytime soon anyway. At least at that point you have all of the information to make a fully informed decision.

The thing I'm discounting that is probably actually quite valuable is that rewarding him with a solid extension likely has very good optics around the league and continues to show that the new front office is doing things right.

Last edited:
To me, it's just an unnecessary risk and not one that I think is worth the potential savings if you think he's actually going to prove himself to be a max guy. I would have been nervous about giving him this sort of extension after his regular season and it would be off the table after the playoffs he had. Letting him play for $19 mil and seeing how it goes with another year is easily the right call in my mind.

Edit: I suppose it doesn't matter so much since they decided to lock everyone else in for a few more years too, but I don't really agree with any of it outside of the Kemba bargain deal lol

Last edited:
To me, it's just an unnecessary risk and not one that I think is worth the potential savings if you think he's actually going to prove himself to be a max guy. I would have been nervous about giving him this sort of extension after his regular season and it would be off the table after the playoffs he had. Letting him play for $19 mil and seeing how it goes with another year is easily the right call in my mind.

Edit: I suppose it doesn't matter so much since they decided to lock everyone else in for a few more years too, but I don't really agree with any of it outside of the Kemba bargain deal lol

Really? The guy was an all NBA player!

Randle has been a pretty good player for his career, the two years before he came to NY he had a 60% true shooting. He was basically really bad his first year here and amazing his second. I think there's almost no chance he's as good as he was last year (he's an easy max guy if he is) but I also think there's a lot of room to fall from last year and still be a really good player. Some of the improvement he wont be long lasting (the guy shot ridiculously well on long 2s and jumpers) but some will (he was a great passer, he got in much better shape, etc)

I also think that if they dont extend him and he hits the market next summer, even if he's not all t hat good next season, he's looking at a contract like this at a minimum. Like I said, Derozan got 3/85. Chris Paul is 100 years old (and obviously a HOF) and got like 4/120 or whatever. I am honestly not sure how bad he would have to be next season to not beat this contract on the open market. Pretty bad I think.

Maybe I just got sucked in by the best season this team had in like a decade. But I am 100% in favor of this move and the Kemba. The rest, eh.

Really? The guy was an all NBA player!

Randle has been a pretty good player for his career, the two years before he came to NY he had a 60% true shooting. He was basically really bad his first year here and amazing his second. I think there's almost no chance he's as good as he was last year (he's an easy max guy if he is) but I also think there's a lot of room to fall from last year and still be a really good player. Some of the improvement he wont be long lasting (the guy shot ridiculously well on long 2s and jumpers) but some will (he was a great passer, he got in much better shape, etc)

I also think that if they dont extend him and he hits the market next summer, even if he's not all t hat good next season, he's looking at a contract like this at a minimum. Like I said, Derozan got 3/85. Chris Paul is 100 years old (and obviously a HOF) and got like 4/120 or whatever. I am honestly not sure how bad he would have to be next season to not beat this contract on the open market. Pretty bad I think.

Maybe I just got sucked in by the best season this team had in like a decade. But I am 100% in favor of this move and the Kemba. The rest, eh.

I think the high % on the long contested twos is not sustainable, but I feel like the improvement on the 3 point shooting is. He shot 41% on 5.5 attempts per game, making almost as many threes last season (160) as he made in his entire career prior to that (168). I don't know if he'll continue as a 40+% 3 point shooter with that type of volume, but I do believe that he will continue to be a consistent/reliable guy from behind the arc.

Kawhi is going to be out a significant portion of next year. I bet he signed a 1+1 deal so he can become a FA next summer again and he gets his rehab year paid at a max level.

I don't know if the Clippers are even a playoff team if Kawhi is out most of the season.

Memphis and Golden State have improved.

Kawhi is going to be out a significant portion of next year. I bet he signed a 1+1 deal so he can become a FA next summer again and he gets his rehab year paid at a max level.

I don't know if the Clippers are even a playoff team if Kawhi is out most of the season.

If he signed a 1+1, it’s more so he can sign a monster 5-year extension next summer.

The Clips will be a dangerous 7 or 8 seed, with Leonard making his return just before the playoffs.

If I was a GM, the Sixers would have to give me a 1st Rd pick to take Simmons.

If I was a GM, the Sixers would have to give me a 1st Rd pick to take Simmons.

??
Even with his severe flaw, he’s a really good defender, good ball handler, passer, rebounder, and unstoppable in the open court.

??
Even with his severe flaw, he’s a really good defender, good ball handler, passer, rebounder, and unstoppable in the open court.
And does not need to be guarded at crunch time. I wouldn’t want to pay that much capital and cash for a head case.

Memphis might be better but that seems like a weird inclusion. They haven’t really done anything this offseason besides the Adams/Bledsoe trade

Memphis might be better but that seems like a weird inclusion. They haven’t really done anything this offseason besides the Adams/Bledsoe trade

I don't think its unusual to think that they have improved given the age of their core who know have one year extra of experience. Its improvement via organic growth and not external acquisition.

Furthermore, they only had Jaren Jackson who was fairly impressive as a 20 year old, who only played 11 games last year due to injury and struggled a bit with his shooting. If they get a full year out of him it will also be quite valuable.

Last edited:

From what I read, since he declined his option he can no longer sign any long term max extension (has something to do with being the fact that it was only a 1 year contract initially). If he had accepted the option he could have signed a 4 year extension.

The longest he can sign for right now with max salary is another 1+1. Then next summer he can do a 5 year super max extension.

Right now I would think the discussions are the following:
1) Kawhi wants a "wink, wink" agreement that Ballmer will give him a 5 year extension next summer 2) Whether he sits out the entire season or not.

There is not much to negotiate right now, except the "wink, wink" stuff and whether Kawhi can sit out this entire season

But theoretically since nothing can be put on paper this offseason both sides can snake the other next summer. Which is why I assume Kawhi may not even bother playing this year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom