NBA Thread 2020-21 Season | Page 252 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2020-21 Season

The Knicks do plan on drafting players in the draft at some point, right?

1627615732483.gif

Not a fan of the Giddey, Kuminga, and Mitchell picks personally. Curious to see what Sacramento is thinking adding Mitchell to Fox and Haliburton.
Absolutely no clue. Was sure Moody was the pick and this is just a complete head scratcher... undersized guard older than marvin bagley. Smh. We have center court tickets to cali classic next week against warriors and lakers and will get to be unimpressed up close. Holding onto faint hope that he will be moved before that.

Kendrick Perkins compared next years Lakers to the early 2010’s Heat omg.
There’s a Seinfeld scene where Corbin Bernsen went on air and mocked George Costanza for telling him backstage that his experience of accidentally killing his neighbor’s cat would make a great case of LA Law...and then the camera zooms in on George as he defiantly mouthed “it would”.

I searched hard for a gif of that Costanza “it would” to post in response here, but couldn’t find it.

So in stuff only myself and a handful of others care about I think the Jazz have quietly had a great off-season so far, and I think it's lining up for Hughes to cash at least one more season of NBA checks.

Not coming back are Favors (that's fine, but Gobert's fatty contract and their 1st round center draft pick from last season paying Favors $9M a year or whatever to be a backup was way too much $$$ committed to true 5s in "Today's NBA ™.") and Georges "The Minivan" Niang who had a pretty decent season as a bench forward but fell apart on the playoffs.

They resigned Conley, which wasn't cheap, but with their cap situation they would have had zero flexibility so getting him back was big. They got Butler in the draft, but of a gamble health wise, but that's real talent for a 2nd round flyer. They added Rudy Gay and Hassan Whiteside to reinforce the bench in free agency, and also turned a 2nd rounder with protections into Eric Paschal via trade and a trade exception, because GSW needed to cut some payroll and I guess it's a bonus that he and Donovan Mitchell are friends. They might not even be done as there are rumors that they might try and sneak Frankie Smokes in as a deep bench guard.

Things could work out for Hughes because he has a dirt cheap contract for a team with a roster very close to the tax apron. His value might be that he costs next to nothing.

None of these moves seem that crazy, but the team with the best record in the NBA arguably comes back stronger, with a deeper bench, and potentially the option to play some small ball 5 lineups.

I hadn't logged on in days and I expected a ton of FA/Draft posts. What gives??

I was iffy on most of the Knicks moves, but I love the Kemba signing. So I'm back in on the Knicks.

They resigned Conley, which wasn't cheap, but with their cap situation they would have had zero flexibility so getting him back was big. They got Butler in the draft, but of a gamble health wise, but that's real talent for a 2nd round flyer. They added Rudy Gay and Hassan Whiteside to reinforce the bench in free agency, and also turned a 2nd rounder with protections into Eric Paschal via trade and a trade exception, because GSW needed to cut some payroll and I guess it's a bonus that he and Donovan Mitchell are friends. They might not even be done as there are rumors that they might try and sneak Frankie Smokes in as a deep bench guard.

!

I hadn't logged on in days and I expected a ton of FA/Draft posts. What gives??

I was iffy on most of the Knicks moves, but I love the Kemba signing. So I'm back in on the Knicks.

!
Well, there were a bunch of those posts, but the board got reset by like a week so... here we are.

Go New York go. Go New York go.

That is...not wise IMO.

The Kemba signing was nice and that's about it for the Knicks. I can at least kinda understand the rationale of the other moves but I'm not really a fan of any of them.

That is...not wise IMO.

The Kemba signing was nice and that's about it for the Knicks. I can at least kinda understand the rationale of the other moves but I'm not really a fan of any of them.
With how solid Randle was last year, something like this seemed inevitable. I guess it could have been even more considering? Idk… sort of a tough spot. But he was going to be extended.

That is...not wise IMO.

John Collins can’t get 5-120 and Julius Randle not get his extension.

It’s not a bad deal. It eats up cap space but they had to take care of Randle. Knicks saved 60 million signing him this offseason rather than next one.

That is...not wise IMO.

Easier to get superstars down the line if you’re competing than if you are a complete dumpster fire.

That is...not wise IMO.

I think it's a great deal for the Knicks, especially if Randle has a similar year this coming year to this past year. $28M/year isn't much more than the $20M/year they were already paying him, and if he has another All-Star caliber year this coming season and he hits free agency, the price to re-sign him goes way up.

Would be such a weird fit with him just being a taller Draymond. I guess if they are your 4/5 combo as non-shooters it at least helps to have arguably the 2 greatest shooters of all time able to space the floor to 30 feet. I also suppose that bringing him on board would allow Draymond to get a lot more rest during the regular season.

Wiggins, Wiseman, Kuminga and a 1st is a pretty interesting package given that Wiggins was a plus instead of a minus last year. Maybe add in a sign & traded Oubre. About even odds that the whole package turns into a bowl of turds though given Wiseman & Kuminga could easily end up terrible. Daryl would just have to figure out how to turn Wiseman, Kuminga, Maxey, Thybulle into a real star somehow.

Does GSW even want Simmons
I think Simmons needs to watch Scottie Pippen.
Be that type of player.
He can’t shoot. Pippen was okay at it but wasn’t really a shooter.
He was a point forward, who defended everyone and did all the dirty work for the Bulls.

Easier to get superstars down the line if you’re competing than if you are a complete dumpster fire.
He was already signed for this upcoming season, so there was no risk of them being a dumpster fire unless you think Randle was just going to be a baby the whole year. If there was ever a time to wait and see, this was pretty much it. He had a major outlier regular season and followed it up with one of the worst postseasons you'll ever see from a go-to guy.

He was already signed for this upcoming season, so there was no risk of them being a dumpster fire unless you think Randle was just going to be a baby the whole year. If there was ever a time to wait and see, this was pretty much it. He had a major outlier regular season and followed it up with one of the worst postseasons you'll ever see from a go-to guy.
They save money.
Randle’s max after next year is 60 million more.
Knicks gave him security and he saved them in the future.

They save money.
Randle’s max after next year is 60 million more.
Knicks gave him security and he saved them in the future.
Was someone else giving Julius Randle the max next offseason? If not, then they didn't really save anything. Who is going to have $35m in space and thinking that we're going to hitch our wagon to Julius Randle to take us to the promised land?

Was someone else giving Julius Randle the max next offseason? If not, then they didn't really save anything. Who is going to have $35m in space and thinking that we're going to hitch our wagon to Julius Randle to take us to the promised land?
When players like John Collins are getting 120, million somebody was going to give Julius Randle Max.

He will be 26 at the beginning of next season. Wouldn't be the first time made a jump at that age. I get the concerns, but the Knicks need to do everything they can to keep momentum going.

Duncan Robinson is getting $18M/year. $10M more per year for Julius Randle seems solid to me.

Duncan Robinson is getting $18M/year. $10M more per year for Julius Randle seems solid to me.
Well if you just use a random number and not the actual one that it would be or the one that I said then sure. He would be eligible to get $35m+ next offseason. He had an incredible regular season and then was absolutely atrocious in the playoffs. Shooting 29% on almost 100 shots with more turnovers than assists and getting waxed by Atl when the spotlight got brightest would certainly terrify me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom