NBA Thread 2020-21 Season | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2020-21 Season

BTW, on the east side, if KD is back to 90% - 95% of what he was, Nets are going to be much higher than 6th. They will be first or second.

Nets have to worry about not only their physical health but their mental health. If they can control those things they are top 2, but I assume predictions are discounting for those factors.

With the Kyrie crazy factor and the Durant fragility factor **, combined with their amazing talent, they will be one of the most interesting follows in the league. (** That being said Durant has never really let his off the court sensitivity / burner account crap, impact his in court play. With one exception -- IMO, Golden St mgmt. cheaply played on his emotions to get him back on the court sooner than he should have in 2019 playoffs.)

I think it's a toss up between Raptors / Celts / Heat / Sixers for 3-6, if the Nets can stay fine on the court.

I would argue that the 2019 NBA Champs and the #2 team in last year's regular season should get a Christmas game.

But after the Raptors finally got their first Christmas game since the early Vince Carter era, and then thoroughly got dismantled by Boston, I have no interest.

Plus I found the 12:00 game interfered with my family's Christmas routine. By about 5:00 Christmas Day things are clear for me.

Yeah, I mean...there’s going to be at least one team in the West that misses out.

But people seem to be dying to project one of these “new” teams that hasn’t done squat to be ahead of the much more consistent Blazers.

Blazers were in the WCF 2 years ago. They were wrecked by injuries in the frontcourt last year and still made the playoffs. They seem to be a pretty solid bet to make them again, as long as they’re healthy.

People want to elevate Booker, Murray, Mitchell...but Lillard is still better than all of them.

But they just lost their big who put up 15.5/13.5 and 2.9 blocks, with a PER of 25. That must have a massive impact.

The above is said facetiously. Hassan Whiteside became the poster child for boxscore stats not being that important in the new NBA if you can't really defend in space and make constant boners and have a bad attitude. With those amazing stats he was given a 1 year min deal with the Kings.

Portland will make the playoffs. I like the Hawks sneaking in too. Very good offseason for them.

Yeah, I mean...there’s going to be at least one team in the West that misses out.

But people seem to be dying to project one of these “new” teams that hasn’t done squat to be ahead of the much more consistent Blazers.

Blazers were in the WCF 2 years ago. They were wrecked by injuries in the frontcourt last year and still made the playoffs. They seem to be a pretty solid bet to make them again, as long as they’re healthy.

People want to elevate Booker, Murray, Mitchell...but Lillard is still better than all of them.

I think the underrated thing for the Blazers is getting Nurkic back all season. He's really good.

I would have Portland in the top 8, and probably kick out the Pels.

Portland is closer to top 4 out West than not in the playoffs.

They actually got some defense in the offseason with Covington.

I would argue that the 2019 NBA Champs and the #2 team in last year's regular season should get a Christmas game.

But after the Raptors finally got their first Christmas game since the early Vince Carter era, and then thoroughly got dismantled by Boston, I have no interest.

Plus I found the 12:00 game interfered with my family's Christmas routine. By about 5:00 Christmas Day things are clear for me.
Toronto doesn’t get good TV times for Christmas because Toronto doesn’t meter on US Nelson TV ratings and the NBA wants rating on Christmas for $$$ commercial revenue.

It sucks for Toronto but that is why they won’t get more than the 12 time slot if they are on Christmas.

It’s why Milwaukee doesn’t get the later time games either.

I would drop the Suns and Pelicans out of the playoffs. I would drop the Rockets to bottom four. I would bump the Mavs to top four with Lakers, Clips, Nugs. I think Portland and Memphis slot in the bottom four. Think SA will be feisty but unless they make a move, prob outside looking in.

The 8-0 run by the Suns is fool's gold and I think this is the year CP3 drops another level because of age (and, listen, I wanted him on the Knicks). I think the Suns had a terrible draft.

My current, way-too-early, predicted standings would be:

East
  1. Bucks
  2. Celtics
  3. Nets
  4. 76ers
  5. Raptors
  6. Heat
  7. Pacers
  8. Wizards
  9. Hawks
  10. Magic
  11. Bulls
  12. Pistons
  13. Hornets
  14. Cavs
  15. Knicks
West
  1. Lakers
  2. Nuggets
  3. Jazz
  4. Clippers
  5. Blazers
  6. Rockets
  7. Mavs
  8. Warriors
  9. Suns
  10. T'Wolves
  11. Pelicans
  12. Spurs
  13. Grizzlies
  14. Kings
  15. Thunder

My current, way-too-early, predicted standings would be:

East
  1. Bucks
  2. Celtics
  3. Nets
  4. 76ers
  5. Raptors
  6. Heat
  7. Pacers
  8. Wizards
  9. Hawks
  10. Magic
  11. Bulls
  12. Pistons
  13. Hornets
  14. Cavs
  15. Knicks
West
  1. Lakers
  2. Nuggets
  3. Jazz
  4. Clippers
  5. Blazers
  6. Rockets
  7. Mavs
  8. Warriors
  9. Suns
  10. T'Wolves
  11. Pelicans
  12. Spurs
  13. Grizzlies
  14. Kings
  15. Thunder

Knicks were ahead of the Cavs and Pistons using the ESPN RPM. Have some respect!!

I agree that Lillard is the best of those 4, but Murray and Mitchell have lead their teams to the playoffs and won in the playoffs. Booker hasn't. At this point, his accomplishments are purely counting stats. So I wouldn't lump him in.

UGH - I missed the Dubs. I think they are in there. I think there is a shot that the Jazz or Rockets actually drop out, including Harden being traded during the season.
If the Jazz drop out, something catastrophic happened. They have Mike Conley's expiring that they can move for reinforcements if they need.

Knicks were ahead of the Cavs and Pistons using the ESPN RPM. Have some respect!!

If Blake gets hurt again or Detroit just trades him, they'll move down further but the Cavs and Knicks seem so terrible on paper.

If Blake gets hurt again or Detroit just trades him, they'll move down further but the Cavs and Knicks seem so terrible on paper.
If Blake’s salary is 29.7 and Boston has 28.5 trade exception they can’t add one contract to do that trade?

KD vs. the Warriors.

And Lakers/Clippers.

They’re going for that drama!
Yeah it’s a good matchup. The Warriors can’t play at home now because of Santa Clara county so sending them out for an extended East Coast trip makes sense.
They will probably play Brooklyn,
NY Knicks, Milwaukee, Philly, Boston, Washington and 3 games down in Florida to start to the season.

The Lakers-Clippers just makes sense for the lack of travel.

If Blake’s salary is 29.7 and Boston has 28.5 trade exception they can’t add one contract to do that trade?

Blake is at $37 million anyways, but the answer is no. Techincally Boston can only bring back like $22 mil with the exception right now due to the hard cap, but even if they had access to the full thing, you can't bring back more than $28.6 mil with it (the exception + $100,000). There is no way to combine things with the exception to bring back a player more expensive than that.

Yeah it's tough to have any hopes for this season. All about the fade for Cade i guess

Yeah it's tough to have any hopes for this season. All about the fade for Cade i guess

I'm not sure I'm sold on Cade yet personally. He's a good prospect and all but he doesn't seem like the generational talent he was made out to be at least through 3 games.

I'm not sure I'm sold on Cade yet personally. He's a good prospect and all but he doesn't seem like the generational talent he was made out to be at least through 3 games.

Don't worry, by the time we get to this draft, all the talk will be how this one isn't that good, and its NEXT year thats gonna be really good, just you wait.

I really haven't had a chance to watch Cade yet. I know there are supposed to be a bunch of good wings. We could really use, among other things of course, a PG though

Don't worry, by the time we get to this draft, all the talk will be how this one isn't that good, and its NEXT year thats gonna be really good, just you wait.

I really haven't had a chance to watch Cade yet. I know there are supposed to be a bunch of good wings. We could really use, among other things of course, a PG though

Cade is good, but there were a ton of Luka comparisons, particularly with his passing ability, and I haven't really seen any evidence yet that he's even an above-average passer much less an extraordinary one. He has more turnovers than assists so far and he just hasn't really done anything impressive passing wise thus far IMO. Doesn't create his shot as easily as Luka did against superior European competition either. I'm a sucker for guys with good feel for the game and guys that play at their own pace though and he has that in spades.

The two that have really stood out to me so far are Jalen Suggs and Evan Mobley.

It's whatever rhymes with Emoni or Bates that matters for '22 or '23.

Everyone else has to prove it still, imo. I do think Bates is the real deal, though.

Cade is good, but there were a ton of Luka comparisons, particularly with his passing ability, and I haven't really seen any evidence yet that he's even an above-average passer much less an extraordinary one. He has more turnovers than assists so far and he just hasn't really done anything impressive passing wise thus far IMO. Doesn't create his shot as easily as Luka did against superior European competition either. I'm a sucker for guys with good feel for the game and guys that play at their own pace though and he has that in spades.

The two that have really stood out to me so far are Jalen Suggs and Evan Mobley.

I saw a little bit of of Suggs on Thanksgiving. I did like him

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom