NBA Thread 2020-21 Season | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2020-21 Season

LeBron is getting the Kobe thank you extension.

He has been underpaid practically his entire career. No problem with him getting paid when he likely will be overpaid.

Wasn't Kobe further into the decline phase of his career when he got the extension? Don't remember the exact timeline.

Wasn't Kobe further into the decline phase of his career when he got the extension? Don't remember the exact timeline.
Kobe was way more on his decline when he got his 2 year golden parachute.

LeBron deserves to be overpaid at the end of his career as well.
Michael Jordan was paid 30 million a year his last 2 years as well.
Super duper stars like LeBron are underpaid their entire career.

Do the Wiz have some sort of protection on that 2023 pick... a lot of bad things can happen in 3 years.

Do the Wiz have some sort of protection on that 2023 pick... a lot of bad things can happen in 3 years.

Yes. Starts out as lottery protected and the protections shrink until 2026 where it turns into two 2nd round picks if it hasn’t already conveyed.

Not a great look for either guys in that article, but PG13 has to be available for trade, right? He's sort of the guy until they can get a better guy it seems like.

I have explained my view on this a few times -- I will try it a little more concise.

Can't blame Kawhi for going for the Clips. It was a good fit for him.
Can't blame the Clips for doing whatever to get Kawhi. It was a great fit for them.
And as much as I don't want it to happen, it might still pay off in the a title in the end.

But ultimately I blame some combination of both Kawhi / The Clips for not developing a better understanding / trust / rapport between the parties when he signed there. At the benefit of both parties the George trade should not have happened when it did. All the leverage was gone by having to do it "now"-- if they do that same deal one month later they save at least a few picks going back to OKC That would have given the flexibility to improve this offseason.

Lawrence Frank essentially followed Kawhi Leonard and Uncle Dennis during the 2018/19 season (attending about half the Raptors games from what I understand). There was likely some tampering -- but that happens all over the league discretely. IMO, he should have been able to establish a better understanding and trust between the parties prior to July 2019 and avoided a situation where he was forced to do a poorly leveraged deal to get it done.

Frank did a very good job in building the Clippers via the draft. acquisition of role players, trades -- essentially built some nice trade capital and cap space. But he blew all that equity on PG, and left very little to improve after that deal.

Last edited:
Uh... do you mean the other way around?

The buzz I heard is that Beal wanted Wall gone, and they did not like each other. Not sure if true or not.

It's probably not a good sign when you pair two players each having a reputation of not getting along well with others. / pissing off others.

So Knicks fans, any chance you can get into the Harden sweepstakes?

Houston downgraded big time.
Westbrook can’t shoot but he was still an all-star level player.
John Wall has been injured and if he loses explosiveness becomes even more useless.

James Harden has to be on the move now.

Westbrook can’t shoot even a little bit .. he’s useless to any team except as a one man show volume scoring ball hog .. I’m thrilled Houston got rid of him .. I don’t care what wall does as long as he can shoot mid 30’s percent from 3 and provide enough of a threat to keep the floor spread ..

Was looking forward to watching Wiz games as a new DC resident and then they go and trade for my least favorite player in the league. Glad I wasn't allowed to buy seasons yet or I'd be trying to get a refund.

Westbrook can’t shoot even a little bit .. he’s useless to any team except as a one man show volume scoring ball hog .. I’m thrilled Houston got rid of him .. I don’t care what wall does as long as he can shoot mid 30’s percent from 3 and provide enough of a threat to keep the floor spread ..

Not that familiar with John Wall I take it? (though I guess he's a better shooter than Russ)

Not that familiar with John Wall I take it? (though I guess he's a better shooter than Russ)

Wall can stand around and do nothing .. Westbrook demands to be the alpha .. he is not compatible with a team that has an alpha already .. the only reason they got wall is because of the Money evening out and the fake first round pick .. the wizards actually think Westbrook will help them .. Beal will be rendered less effective with him

Let me be clear .. wall succccks ... but I think he can be neutered easier than Westbrook.. I think wall will be cool sitting on the bench with various ailments , collecting his checks .. Westbrook not only wants to play .. he wants to run the show

Last edited:
I have explained my view on this a few times -- I will try it a little more concise.

Can't blame Kawhi for going for the Clips. It was a good fit for him.
Can't blame the Clips for doing whatever to get Kawhi. It was a great fit for them.
And as much as I don't want it to happen, it might still pay off in the a title in the end.

But ultimately I blame some combination of both Kawhi / The Clips for not developing a better understanding / trust / rapport between the parties when he signed there. At the benefit of both parties the George trade should not have happened when it did. All the leverage was gone by having to do it "now"-- if they do that same deal one month later they save at least a few picks going back to OKC That would have given the flexibility to improve this offseason.

Lawrence Frank essentially followed Kawhi Leonard and Uncle Dennis during the 2018/19 season (attending about half the Raptors games from what I understand). There was likely some tampering -- but that happens all over the league discretely. IMO, he should have been able to establish a better understanding and trust between the parties prior to July 2019 and avoided a situation where he was forced to do a poorly leveraged deal to get it done.

Frank did a very good job in building the Clippers via the draft. acquisition of role players, trades -- essentially built some nice trade capital and cap space. But he blew all that equity on PG, and left very little to improve after that deal.
This is not only your most concise explanation, it’s your most rational. I think you’ve finally healed.

While the Clips did give up a lot for George, Frank and West are still crafty. And they definitely improved the team this offseason.

Lue is an upgrade over Rivers. Ibaka is an upgrade over Harrell. Kennard is an upgrade over Shamet. Batum is an upgrade over McGruder.

The team went into the draft with a late, late second round pick and came away with Kennard, a third-team All-American, the JUCO player of the year, and four second round picks.

After re-signing Jackson yesterday, Frank is now in position to move Beverley and/or Williams for an upgrade at point guard during the season...if necessary.

Giving away all those draft picks, overpaying to retain Morris, even giving Patterson $3 million instead of the league minimum...these are all moves other teams wouldn’t necessarily make, but it doesn’t matter. Ballmer is loaded and Frank is creative. It’s no skin off their teeth.

Interesting note from Kevin Pelton

Much like Westbrook, Wall has spent his NBA career with the ball in his hands. In fact, before his injury in 2018-19, the only player with higher time of possession in the league was ... Harden

Any chance they can dump Wall if the injury doesn't pan out.

If he comes back and isn't as good as he was a couple years ago/still can't stay healthy, it will likely cost a lot of draft picks to try to offload him anywhere else. Roughly $45 million per year for a guy that might literally not play? Good luck.

If I were in their shoes and it was clear Wall wasn't the player he once was, I'd probably rather just suffer for the next 3 years than to trade the draft picks that will be required to move him.

This trade for Houston honestly makes no sense.
Wall sucks.
Westbrook has flaws but he played well for Scott Brooks in OKC and the bottom of the East sucks.

Houston could pray Wall can’t medically play and they can get him long term salary relief.

i have it on good authority that pg13 was a much bigger chemistry issue than was kawhi

top 5 players get a lot of leeway from other players,
For me that is still on Kawhi - he brought him there. As LeBron proves every year, the Alpha Dog title comes with some responsibility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom