NBA Thread 2021-22 Season | Page 75 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2021-22 Season

Let's see. Donovan Mitchell is 25.

Butler is 32
Beal is 28 and finishing his 10th season
Harden is 32
Lillard is 31 and finishing up his 10th season which he has only played 29 games due to season ending injuries.

The only guy on the list that the Jazz might want, with some great draft picks, is Lillard to due to his Utah roots but why would Portland trade for him unless it was a three way trade with the Knicks. Otherwise Mitchell would be out to NY as soon as his contract is up. Those other guys wouldn't want to come to Utah and Utah wouldn't want them. Believe it or not, I thought when Ben Simmons was available that he would fit in nicely with the Jazz along with Mitchell and Gobert.

Everyone thinks the problem is between Mitchell and Gobert. Both of them are co-existing somewhat fine. Snyder's substitution pattern has them playing as few minutes as possible together. Something like half the first quarter to start. half the third quarter to start the half and half the fourth quarter to finish. Both are averaging around 33 minutes per game and the remainder of the time only one of them is one the floor at a time.

The real problem this year was the injuries and the bench. For a little bit, both were out, and Mitchell has missed 13 total games and Gobert 16 total games. Plus others have missed games including Bogdanovic who has missed 12 and Conley has missed nine games and backup center Hassan Whiteside has missed 17 games.

So besides Mitchell and Gobert whose numbers are similar or better than last year, everyone else is down. Conley, Bogie, O'Neale, Clarkson. No Joe Ingels and the other pieces are struggling to fit together. Rudy Gay inconsistent. Same with Whiteside. Trent Forrest inconsistent and was getting big minutes due to injuries. Jared Butler not enough PT due to not picking up Snyder's system. The guys they got in the Ingels trade have been inconsistent, although Juancho Henangomez is starting to show a pulse. The team had a private meeting Monday night. If the team finds their stroke, they can beat anyone. However they lost fifteen games this year where they were up double digits so they are currently the six seed where they will face Golden State.
I think Mike was looking for who the best player is that you could get for Mitchell. I think those guys are probably the answer. Whether or not it would make sense for Utah to trade Mitchell for those guys is an entirely different question.

I think Mike was looking for who the best player is that you could get for Mitchell. I think those guys are probably the answer. Whether or not it would make sense for Utah to trade Mitchell for those guys is an entirely different question.

I would tear it down and rebuild it around Mitchell before I traded him. However, if he wants out they will be forced to trade him but they could maybe get a great deal from an OKC with some young talent and picks, that's where I would send him. SGA/ Mitchell would be a great backcourt. Maybe a couple firsts, Dort and Giddy? Giddy is going to be really damn good, kind of already is and Dort is a great defender plus as many picks to fill it out. Poku with Gobert? I dont see the Knicks including RJ but maybe they would

Does Mitchell have a no trade clause?

I would tear it down and rebuild it around Mitchell before I traded him. However, if he wants out they will be forced to trade him but they could maybe get a great deal from an OKC with some young talent and picks, that's where I would send him. SGA/ Mitchell would be a great backcourt. Maybe a couple firsts, Dort and Giddy? Giddy is going to be really damn good, kind of already is and Dort is a great defender plus as many picks to fill it out. Poku with Gobert? I dont see the Knicks including RJ but maybe they would

Does Mitchell have a no trade clause?
No, but he is under contract for three more seasons.

No, but he is under contract for three more seasons.

Good article on what has transpired, I knew Mitchell was from the NYC area but didn't realize all the other tie ins with the knicks as well. Maybe he is actually the star that does end up on the knicks. I struggle with what that trade package would look like though because they will want picks and current talent.

I think the national media loves to stir stuff up as well because they need content 24/7 for all the media outlets. Podcasts all of it so who knows. They think everybody wants to leave any team that isn't located in NY, LA or Miami. Maybe Gobert and Mitchell just hate each other? One needs to most likely go.

Somebody said Dallas and Toronto would be highly interested in Gobert. Could see him being a nice fit in Toronto. Bunch of talented wings, Vanvleet and Gobert would be tough

Why do so many media members talk about not being able to play Gobert in the playoffs? You hear it all the time must have been exposed somewhere? I don't watch the Jazz much

Last edited:
Good article on what has transpired, I knew Mitchell was from the NYC area but didn't realize all the other tie ins with the knicks as well. Maybe he is actually the star that does end up on the knicks. I struggle with what that trade package would look like though because they will want picks and current talent.

I think the national media loves to stir stuff up as well because they need content 24/7 for all the media outlets. Podcasts all of it so who knows. They think everybody wants to leave any team that isn't located in NY, LA or Miami. Maybe Gobert and Mitchell just hate each other? One needs to most likely go.

Somebody said Dallas and Toronto would be highly interested in Gobert. Could see him being a nice fit in Toronto. Bunch of talented wings, Vanvleet and Gobert would be tough

Why do so many media members talk about not being able to play Gobert in the playoffs? You hear it all the time must have been exposed somewhere? I don't watch the Jazz much
Utah got embarrassed the past few years defensively and Rudy often took the brunt of the blame as he’d try to help his teammates at the rim and give up a 3 in the process. Teams have had a lot of success going small against Utah. But a lot of it is simply Utah’s guards and wings not being able to stay in front of their man.

As a Raptors fan had my eye on the #4 seed entering play on Saturday and particularly Philly .(as would a Bulls fan)... both teams were 1.5 behind the Sixers who had just lost a game they actually tried to win against the Pistons with a full lieup. And getting home court was something you had to push for.

But this weekend both teams lost to Miami. And Philly went 2-0. This weekend most teams in the top 4 played their teams. They probably wanted to lock in the top 4 just to be careful. So the top 4 which was getting squeezed from behind is now fairly locked.

Also Bulls+Raptors are pretty much locked in with Cavs in #7. For the Raps this not the worst thing. We were getting close enough to fourth (especially with Philly coming in to Toronto and holding the tiebreaker) that we could not afford to let up. But they are a little banged up so they can now manage that and get to #5 or #6, which really doesn't matter.

In terms of top 4, Miami is in good shape to get the #1 spot and are not holding back at all. Seems like the Butler incident may have brought them together -- which can happen.

2-4 is a toss-up. Seems like those teams are playing to win, except they manage b2b, which makes sense. At this point I would play my game, rest smartly, and not worry about Brooklyn that much. They are going to have a hard enough time even getting out of the play-ins as #9/#10 is a real possibility.

Last edited:
Bulls have been plagued with injuries the past couple months and then some. LaVine is out (knee) tonight vs the Bucks. Ball is likely done (knee) for the season.

The Lakers gone fishing.
Really strange how Lebron is skating on sitting out these games with “ankle soreness “ owieee

Really strange how Lebron is skating on sitting out these games with “ankle soreness “ owieee
Will be interesting to see if the national media laps up the LBJ spin that will be coming from his camp in 3,2,1...

The community thing worries me a little. He was way more into that his rookie season. Now, not so much.
Sometimes it's the little things he does. Doesn't necessarily have to shout it out. People love him

If he plays against OKC or whatever to go for the scoring title after sitting out while his team got eliminated, he's definitely going to take some digs.

If he plays against OKC or whatever to go for the scoring title after sitting out while his team got eliminated, he's definitely going to take some digs.

Lebron has to play 2 of the last 3 games to be able to qualify for the scoring title.
Let's see what he does.

The Lakers gone fishing.
I wonder where Melo will take his minimum wage free agent contract to next year. I don't watch a lot of Lakers games but looking at his stats, you could argue that he had one of his best years in a long time.

I wonder where Melo will take his minimum wage free agent contract to next year. I don't watch a lot of Lakers games but looking at his stats, you could argue that he had one of his best years in a long time.

You can make a pretty easy case that Melo was one of the few things that went really well for the Lakers this season.

You can make a pretty easy case that Melo was one of the few things that went really well for the Lakers this season.

Was curious, was messing around with some Laker on/off splits

its crazy they were only +2.5 per 100 net with lebron, and they were actually outscored with him on the season. Ditto Davis, they were -3.2 per 100 with Davis playing. Lebron and AD played 576 minutes together this year, Lakers were -2.6 per 100! Insane

The Lakers should trade Lebron this off-season.

Not sure who would want him, but Cleveland, Golden State, and Phoenix might be able to come up with a package. The problem is it may just be for one year.

The Lakers should trade Lebron this off-season.

Not sure who would want him, but Cleveland, Golden State, and Phoenix might be able to come up with a package. The problem is it may just be for one year.

I don't disagree with the Lakers trading Lebron & AD.. but there is a problem as bolded below that will partially reduce its effectiveness. Probably still the right plan however.

As an attractive "forced" trade and FA market, the Lakers re-build/re-tool formula is seemingly fairly simple Trade away players (get assets), bottom out (get top picks), and clear cap space for a few years.

Then use acquired assets/picks and cap space to get a few elite players.
Ready to go hard again in 3 to 4 years.

But there is a major problem with the "normal" plan. They don't hold their pick for 2022, 2023, 2024 if they bottom out, as they either do not hold the pick or there are swap rights. So they won't be able to get top draft picks which is typically the attractive aspect of bottoming out.

I don't disagree with the Lakers trading Lebron & AD.. but there is a problem as bolded below that will partially reduce its effectiveness. Probably still the right plan however.

As an attractive "forced" trade and FA market, the Lakers re-build/re-tool formula is seemingly fairly simple Trade away players (get assets), bottom out (get top picks), and clear cap space for a few years.

But there is a major problem with the "normal" plan. They don't hold their pick for 2022, 2023, 2024 if they bottom out, as they either do not hold the pick or there are swap rights. So they won't be able to get top draft picks which is typically the attractive aspect of bottoming out.
Yup! I'm aware, but they have to get something right? It's clear this is not going to work.

Yup! I'm aware, but they have to get something right? It's clear this is not going to work.

Don't get me wrong I agree with you on him being traded - they need to move on from the core and start rebuilding and getting some assets.

There situation is somewhat similar to the draft pick mess that Billy King left the Nets in that slowed their rebuild. The big difference is that they have players (Lebron/AD) who have much more value than Pierce/Garnett/Williams/Wallace/Johnson.

Ultimately the Nets made some shrewd value picks to get a supporting core and more importantly cleared the cap room to get Kyrie+KD.

Don't get me wrong I agree with you on him being traded - they need to move on from the core and start rebuilding and getting some assets.

There situation is somewhat similar to the draft pick mess that Billy King left the Nets in that slowed their rebuild. The big difference is that they have players (Lebron/AD) who have much more value than Pierce/Garnett/Williams/Wallace/Johnson.

Ultimately the Nets made some shrewd value picks to get a supporting core and more importantly cleared the cap room to get Kyrie+KD.
Yep. It may likely take them 5-6 years to get good again no matter what they do.

How do they not hold their pick for 3 straight seasons? I thought the Stepien rule didn't allow that.

How do they not hold their pick for 3 straight seasons? I thought the Stepien rule didn't allow that.

You are allowed to swap picks in the years in between.
So they will get still get first round pick but it will be where the Pelicans finish, which is likely not going to be as the Lakers pick once you trade Lebron/AD,

Last edited: