NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 100 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

Is this really true? They’re like $30 mil over the cap and sent out a lot of draft picks trying to go all in. They just foolishly went all in with a team not nearly good enough to win a title.
Yes, he won't pay the tax and he won't let them tank.

Only 4 teams have paid luxury tax once or none at all since 2002.

Pelicans - 0
Hornets - 0
Pistons - 1
Bulls - 1

All other teams have paid it 2+ times. Other big markets have paid it 6-12 times. Even small markets like CLE (7), SAS (6), OKC (3) have paid more tax than CHI has.

You can sort by year here...

And then on the other hand you have an owner like Reinsdorf who is content collecting that playoff revenue by again... prioritizing "win" and push to make the playoffs to collect that extra cash. Ultimately had they continued to try to tank the season they would have had 35% to 42% odds to win the NBA lottery. Now they'll have at best a 8 to 14% chance. They only get to keep their pick if it lands in the top 4. Reinsdorf's priority is being competitive, making the playoffs, and selling tickets every season. Other teams have adapted to the new NBA where you spend to win or tank until you get a star. He refuses to do either, so Bulls fans are stuck with a team being okay to good but definitely not good enough to win it all.
Reinsdorf’s still alive?

The west playoff race is still pretty crazy.

The Suns have a chance to almost pick their opponent in round 1. They are playing the Clippers. if the Clippers win, they are locked into the 5 and a matchup with the Suns. If the Suns win, then assuming the Warriors beat the Blazers (pretty safe assumption) it'll be the Warriors. Its not like the Suns can beat the Clippers no questions asked if they wanted to, so it isn't that simple, but if they sit their guys (which I am betting they do) they are locking themselves into playing the Clippers. I guess I would rather play the Clippers than the Warriors.]

Minnesota is playing the Pels, thats the biggest game of the day I think. Loser becomes the 9 seed and needs 2 wins to make the playoffs. Minnesota can move as high as 7 with a win (but would need the Lakers to lose to the Jazz in a game I assume the Lakers will try to win) but would more likely be the 8. The Pels could actually climb as high as 5 with a win, but would need Portland to win. So they'll probably be the 8, but either way, the loser of that game is gonna need to win twice and the winner has 2 chances to win once.

The Suns have a chance to almost pick their opponent in round 1. They are playing the Clippers. if the Clippers win, they are locked into the 5 and a matchup with the Suns. If the Suns win, then assuming the Warriors beat the Blazers (pretty safe assumption) it'll be the Warriors. Its not like the Suns can beat the Clippers no questions asked if they wanted to, so it isn't that simple, but if they sit their guys (which I am betting they do) they are locking themselves into playing the Clippers. I guess I would rather play the Clippers than the Warriors.]

Minnesota is playing the Pels, thats the biggest game of the day I think. Loser becomes the 9 seed and needs 2 wins to make the playoffs. Minnesota can move as high as 7 with a win (but would need the Lakers to lose to the Jazz in a game I assume the Lakers will try to win) but would more likely be the 8. The Pels could actually climb as high as 5 with a win, but would need Portland to win. So they'll probably be the 8, but either way, the loser of that game is gonna need to win twice and the winner has 2 chances to win once.
Sounds like the Suns are resting everyone - major bummer. Nothing worse than having a ton of Warriors fans in the Kings arena for the first playoff series in 16 years. On the bright side, I'm not going to be able to make game 2 and should be able to sell my tickets for $650+. Hopefully some Kings fans will make the trip to Chase Center as the tickets are actually cheaper to watch in SF.

The gamesmanship has been fun to watch as some of these higher seed teams rest guys/tip their hands on who they’d rather play. Essentially calling out certain teams into the middle of the ring. Looks like Phoenix wants LAC and Sacramento wants GSW.

Saw a couple of nba media guys talking about the idea of allowing the 1 seed to pick who they want their first round matchup to be. And how right now it doesn’t make sense that the 1 seed is the last to know who their opponent is and least time to prepare. I’d love that. I’d even go extreme with it and just let the top 4 seeds go in order of picking their opponent. Would be so much fun for the fans to see it play out and would add to some rivalries as well.

JMO, but I better not see Steph, Lebron, or KD on any all NBA teams. Obviously they all are still great when they play, but none will play more than 56 games. Have to reward the guys that play IMO.

I agree on the other 2, but I think I would vote for Steph. 56 games is on the low side, for sure, but not unprecedented. And he's been pretty incredible this year. I think you run out of guys pretty quickly if you eliminate Steph. I love Jalen Brunson but I couldn't vote him over Steph even with playing 12 more games.

Mitchell, SGA, Luka are easy calls for me. But after that?

I agree on the other 2, but I think I would vote for Steph. 56 games is on the low side, for sure, but not unprecedented. And he's been pretty incredible this year. I think you run out of guys pretty quickly if you eliminate Steph. I love Jalen Brunson but I couldn't vote him over Steph even with playing 12 more games.

Mitchell, SGA, Luka are easy calls for me. But after that?
De‘Aaron Fox deserves to make it with what Sacramento has done this season.

Screenshot_20230409-101135.png

So we can all agree that it's Kyrie's fault the Mavs are missing the playoffs, right?

Gobert trade is way up there for worst trades ever.
Yep.

Wolves aren't a great organization.

Gobert flourished with the Jazz, but they do a lot to support their guys.

Never got the sense that the Wolves organization operates that way.

Rudy gives a crap, but needs to be reigned in sometimes. He's way off the rails right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom