NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

Athletic has Brunson to the Knicks. Can't wait to see that number
It's certainly going to be 4 for 110-120 I imagine. Gave up a handful of picks and brought back a few but think I'd take him over the Kemba, Burks & Noel pupu platter they dumped to get to that figure.

Sounding like around 4/110. Which is...a fair amount of money.

Realistically their cap space is mostly going to be gone when they extend RJ next summer. So was there a better way to spend the money? Not sure.

If they add a star, it's going to be via draft or trade, so I guess this doesn't really change much. (Other than making them better, hurting future draft value)

Realistically their cap space is mostly going to be gone when they extend RJ next summer. So was there a better way to spend the money? Not sure.

If they add a star, it's going to be via draft or trade, so I guess this doesn't really change much. (Other than making them better, hurting future draft value)
Could Dallas offer more? Interesting to choose the Knick revolving rebuild over a conference finalists with one of the best players on the planet.

Agreed, I mean sooner or later you need to pull the trigger on something. I thought Brunson would got around that. Now Dallas will be a player in the market trying to replace him.

Could Dallas offer more? Interesting to choose the Knick revolving rebuild over a conference finalists with one of the best players on the planet.

Not really. Isn't his Dad an assistant coach on the Knicks and Dallas also could have extended him last year and I think Brunson was a little twisted that they didn't. Brunson is a hard working guy who has been kind of taken for granted in the NBA, nothing flashy certainly not a gifted athlete, but gets the job done. Not fan of either team but glad to see him get rewarded for his solid play. Always been a winner as well. I like a lot of the Villanova guys from the past 7-8 years.

Not really. Isn't his Dad an assistant coach on the Knicks and Dallas also could have extended him last year and I think Brunson was a little twisted that they didn't. Brunson is a hard working guy who has been kind of taken for granted in the NBA, nothing flashy certainly not a gifted athlete, but gets the job done. Not fan of either team but glad to see him get rewarded for his solid play. Always been a winner as well. I like a lot of the Villanova guys from the past 7-8 years.

Brunson’s dad has been an assistant for Thibs at his last few stops and, I believe, had Leon as an agent.

Leon and Wes came in as guys that could land superstars.

Jalen Brunson isn’t that. I get the cap is going to keep going up, especially when the new media rights deal hits, but Brunson is, at best, the third guy on a title team.

Brunson’s dad has been an assistant for Thibs at his last few stops and, I believe, had Leon as an agent.

Jalen Brunson isn’t that. I get the cap is going to keep going up, especially when the new media rights deal hits, but Brunson is, at best, the third guy on a title team.
Yes, people will have to realize that Brunson is capable of taking over a game for extended minutes, but he is not a superstar that is going to carry the team to the NBA championship.

I'd rather throw a sheet at Bridges or Ayton then go all in on Brunson. I'm with you, I think at his best, he's maybe a league average PG with no shot at being an All-Star.

Hope he enjoys playing out the last 3 years of his contract in NY without his dad after Thibs (hopefully) gets fired this season.

Looks like depending on the structure and timing of each of these deals and what they do with a couple other expendable pieces, they may be able to sign Brunson for $25-28m a year and still be able to clear another $15ish. Not a lot of guys in that price range that move the needle. Otto Porter, Slo-Mo, Monk types maybe.

Yes, people will have to realize that Brunson is capable of taking over a game for extended minutes, but he is not a superstar that is going to carry the team to the NBA championship.

Yep. I like Jalen Brunson. I think he's solid.

But right now the Knicks are in purgatory. Not bad enough to really land Vic (or Scoot at #2) and not nearly good enough to really be better than a team that can maybe slip into playoffs and get bounced in round 1, and I think that may be a stretch.

I'd rather throw a sheet at Bridges or Ayton then go all in on Brunson. I'm with you, I think at his best, he's maybe a league average PG with no shot at being an All-Star.

He's, what, 6'1" on a good day?

I mean, he really had some issues in that Dubs series.

Hope he enjoys playing out the last 3 years of his contract in NY without his dad after Thibs (hopefully) gets fired this season.

I wish we had just moved to be young and get a high pick if we weren't going to land KD or someone like that. And you can't have a young team with Thibs.

I wish we had just moved to be young and get a high pick if we weren't going to land KD or someone like that. And you can't have a young team with Thibs.

The amount of run Taj Gibson got last year is proof positive of that.

Don't disagree and nobody of sane mind would think that the Knicks as constructed are anywhere near a title team. So long term if you look at the roster you have Brunson and RJ and are in need of a true #1 guy if RJ can keep down the right path of development as potential #2 guy I don't know enough about the Knicks as to how they get there and again I think sometimes too many NBA GM's hide behind a wall of stockpiled draft picks and don't make moves to try and really win. They win the social media battle with trades etc but Teams take shots all the time and fail but sooner or later you need to try and compete with the top tier. I kind of get the feeling that is what the Hawks are going to do here at some point soon if they can get Murray and it may not be enough but at least they are going for it. Crawl, walk, run

Don't disagree and nobody of sane mind would think that the Knicks as constructed are anywhere near a title team. So long term if you look at the roster you have Brunson and RJ and are in need of a true #1 guy if RJ can keep down the right path of development as potential #2 guy I don't know enough about the Knicks as to how they get there and again I think sometimes too many NBA GM's hide behind a wall of stockpiled draft picks and don't make moves to try and really win. Teams take shots all the time and fail but sooner or later you need to try and compete with the top tier. I kind of get the feeling that is what the Hawks are going to do here at some point soon if they can get Murray and it may not be enough but at least they are going for it. Crawl, walk, run

All fair. But Leon and Wes came in with the billing that they would attract starts. Two things:

1) They have not.
2) The league is shifting away from the super team model in those seismic jumps.

So, imo, Leon and Wes either need to 1) convince KD that Brooklyn is a den of mayhem and come to the Knicks or convince Bron to play out his last years here after next year or 2) tank hard to try to get the guy who might be a 1st team all NBA guy in a few years after being drafted in Vic (or settle for Scoot).

I'm just not ready for the rumors that we're in the running for Bradley Beal once he's disgruntled in Washington in a few months after signing for a quarter bill.

Don't disagree and nobody of sane mind would think that the Knicks as constructed are anywhere near a title team. So long term if you look at the roster you have Brunson and RJ and are in need of a true #1 guy if RJ can keep down the right path of development as potential #2 guy I don't know enough about the Knicks as to how they get there and again I think sometimes too many NBA GM's hide behind a wall of stockpiled draft picks and don't make moves to try and really win. They win the social media battle with trades etc but Teams take shots all the time and fail but sooner or later you need to try and compete with the top tier. I kind of get the feeling that is what the Hawks are going to do here at some point soon if they can get Murray and it may not be enough but at least they are going for it. Crawl, walk, run
Kind of the issue with 2/3 of the league. Only a dozen or so #1s in the league at any one time. Only 2 ways to really get one of them. By being horrible or being a desirable enough market that they will sign or demand a trade to you. And that's basically an either/or because if you are terrible then they generally won't be interested. On the same merry go-round that NFL teams get stuck on when they don't have a top 10-15 QB.

All fair. But Leon and Wes came in with the billing that they would attract starts. Two things:

1) They have not.
2) The league is shifting away from the super team model in those seismic jumps.

So, imo, Leon and Wes either need to 1) convince KD that Brooklyn is a den of mayhem and come to the Knicks or convince Bron to play out his last years here after next year or 2) tank hard to try to get the guy who might be a 1st team all NBA guy in a few years after being drafted in Vic (or settle for Scoot).

I'm just not ready for the rumors that we're in the running for Bradley Beal once he's disgruntled in Washington in a few months after signing for a quarter bill.

I think Beal wants the big contract first and foremost and might be happy just playing it out with Washignton win or lose. Does every NBA player have to chase rings? I am sure Beal wants to win to a certain extent but at what cost? Would he actually leave the Wizards to chase a ring? Not 100% sure.

It's not lost on me that some NBA players just treat it as a job and want to make $ and stay where they may actually be happy for personal reasons. I think a lot of this stuff is media/ fan created

I think Beal wants the big contract first and foremost and might be happy just playing it out with Washignton win or lose. Does every NBA player have to chase rings? I am sure Beal wants to win to a certain extent but at what cost? Would he actually leave the Wizards to chase a ring? Not 100% sure.

I think he wants 250 million dollars which, to be fair, I would too.

I think he gives it one last run and if they aren't doing anything, he'll request a trade.

Embiid wants him on the Sixers. Tatum wants him on the Cs. I'm sure Bron would try to find a magical way around any cap situation to try to get him to the Lakers.

I think he wants 250 million dollars which, to be fair, I would too.

I think he gives it one last run and if they aren't doing anything, he'll request a trade.

Embiid wants him on the Sixers. Tatum wants him on the Cs. I'm sure Bron would try to find a magical way around any cap situation to try to get him to the Lakers.

Agreed and probably the logical path

Knicks fans, hang in there. You're going to get the chance to trade for Donovan Mitchell at some point soon.

Knicks fans, hang in there. You're going to get the chance to trade for Donovan Mitchell at some point soon.

Melo 2.0. Trade away every asset that you have so you just have a superstar surrounded by total garbage.

Melo 2.0. Trade away every asset that you have so you just have a superstar surrounded by total garbage.
That's what I'm hoping for (on behalf of the Utah Jazz fans)!

Also, I'd add, the Melo trade isn't what screwed the Knicks up, it was that D'Antoni destroyed Stat's knees and made that contract into an albatross.

There's an alternate timeline where the Knicks never pick up Billups option (which they later used the amnesty clause on) and amnesty Stoudemire's deal before he broke down and used their cap room still on Chandler and other players more suited to the offensive and defensive versatility that the Melo and Chandler combo gave you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom