NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

That's what I'm hoping for (on behalf of the Utah Jazz fans)!

Also, I'd add, the Melo trade isn't what screwed the Knicks up, it was that D'Antoni destroyed Stat's knees and made that contract into an albatross.

There's an alternate timeline where the Knicks never pick up Billups option (which they later used the amnesty clause on) and amnesty Stoudemire's deal before he broke down and used their cap room still on Chandler and other players more suited to the offensive and defensive versatility that the Melo and Chandler combo gave you.

I don't think there's any alternate timeline where the Knicks are a successful, well-run organization that doesn't involve Jim Dolan not owning the team.

Brunson’s dad has been an assistant for Thibs at his last few stops and, I believe, had Leon as an agent.

Leon and Wes came in as guys that could land superstars.

Jalen Brunson isn’t that. I get the cap is going to keep going up, especially when the new media rights deal hits, but Brunson is, at best, the third guy on a title team.

Agree, but the cap space is going to disappear soon. The way they're getting a star (or a "star") is gonna be via trade.

I suppose the ideal (which obviously wont work out because Knicks) is Brunson is the third guy on a contender, RJ develops to be a #2, and you trade for the one.

Agree, but the cap space is going to disappear soon. The way they're getting a star (or a "star") is gonna be via trade.

I suppose the ideal (which obviously wont work out because Knicks) is Brunson is the third guy on a contender, RJ develops to be a #2, and you trade for the one.

I just don't know who that #1 is that we trade for. And outside of a disgruntled KD or Bron, catching them at the tail end of their careers, or Mitchell who isn't an elite level guy... I just don't know where they are.

Top guys are (who I consider #1s):
Bron, Kawhi, KD, Steph, Jokic, Embiid, Luka, Giannis.

Tatum is on the cusp. Maybe Ja, as well.

We can't even get Mitchell right now. And I feel like, at best, if we keep trending this way, Mitchell is who they are going to swing for (or like a KAT).

So we bring in Brunson, have Thibs, have a weird thing with Randle and have poor RJ stuck in the middle.

I would have made a play for KD. I would have made a play for Bron in the background for next year. If no traction, I'm doing a fire sale outside of the core young guys. Would look to switch out Thibs as well.

Looking like 4/110 for Brunson? I like him and am rooting for him but he seems like the definition of a third guy. He was the second guy on Dallas and it was clear that wasn’t good enough. Knicks need a PG and have for long time but not even convinced he’s a PG.

I just don't know who that #1 is that we trade for. And outside of a disgruntled KD or Bron, catching them at the tail end of their careers, or Mitchell who isn't an elite level guy... I just don't know where they are.

We can't even get Mitchell right now. And I feel like, at best, if we keep trending this way, Mitchell is who they are going to swing for (or like a KAT).

So we bring in Brunson, have Thibs, have a weird thing with Randle and have poor RJ stuck in the middle.

I would have made a play for KD. I would have made a play for Bron in the background for next year. If no traction, I'm doing a fire sale outside of the core young guys. Would look to switch out Thibs as well.

Totally agree. But I just dont think signing Brunson makes it less likely they'd get a star if one becomes available.

I mostly agree with your list. If Philly bombs out again I could see Embiid asking out

Totally agree. But I just dont think signing Brunson makes it less likely they'd get a star if one becomes available.

I mostly agree with your list. If Philly bombs out again I could see Embiid asking out
Count on Embiid asking out, then.

We're 100% going to start like 9-1, btw, then lose like 20 of the next 25.

I don't get why if Murray was available we didn't pursue that and let Brunson fish somewhere else. Murray > Brunson. I don't get why Leon, WWW and whoever else is making the decisions for the Knicks aren't trying?

Tell Thibs - youth plays, own the tank and hope you hit on the French kid.

Also Pop is what 30 wins from the all-time record. He may need 2 years.

Can't turn down that package when they aren't going anywhere with or without DM.
Using this logic 90% of the teams should be trading their best player. It’s one thing to trade an aging star as they approach free agency and you aren’t in win now mode ... Something else to dump a young all star who you could extend and try out another 4-5 year run with

Now someone like van vleet is who you make this kind of trade with it you’re out of your window..because he will be in decline and is likely Going to age badly

Last edited:
I don't get why if Murray was available we didn't pursue that and let Brunson fish somewhere else. Murray > Brunson. I don't get why Leon, WWW and whoever else is making the decisions for the Knicks aren't trying?

Tell Thibs - youth plays, own the tank and hope you hit on the French kid.

Also Pop is what 30 wins from the all-time record. He may need 2 years.

I thought he got the record last year (Pop that is), no?

Using this logic 90% of the teams should be trading their best player. It’s one thing to trade an aging star as they approach free agency and you aren’t in win now mode ... Something else to dump a young all star who you could extend and try out another 4-5 year run with

Now someone like van vleet is who you make this kind of trade with it you’re out of your window..because he will be in decline and is likely Going to age badly

The Raptors are clearly not out of their window to compete.

They won 48 games last year and their 6 key players were 28 or less - including a 20, 22, 23 and 24 year old, one of which was ROY. They also have all their future draft picks.

Are they amongst the top contenders this year - no. But with a bit of luck on the organic growth front and and a bit of luck on an opportunistic trade (with picks or via re-tool) they are not far away in future years.

As for Van Vleet he will be fine as a third or preferably 4th wheel for a while. Right now Barnes and Siakam have surpassed him on the pecking order for next year. Its getting other players to rise their game to let him fit into a smaller role. (And FVV buying into it, as he does play hero ball some times to his detriment)

I am perfectly fine trading FVV if he is part of a consolidation trade for a bigger piece. But I am not trading him simply for futures either.

Raptors are not a team that should be tearing it down at this point.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom