NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

26 of the gleague teams are owned by other NBA franchises so theoretically some owners could have 2 teams in the NBA. I'm not sure that would work. I wonder how much money g league teams could go for.

Jazz very surprisingly looking real good so far this season. They are 2-0 and up ten tonight at half time at New Orleans. Larri Markkanen is playing at an All Star level so far and guys like Kelly Olynyk and Jarred Vanderbilt are playing very well also. Their new rookie coach has these guys playing extremely hard on every possesion.

Speaking of New Orleans, don't sleep on the Pels. Zion is back at 100%. They need to figure some stuff out but I've always been bullish on Brandon Ingram ( who incidently got injured in the 1st half). It wouldn't surprise me to see them go real deep if they stay healthy and if they get another scorer at the trade deadline.

Last edited:
The Lakers have 2 choices:

1)Trade the 27 and 29 first rounders for as much shooting as possible. The defense is good enough. LeBron and AD can still play - and they’re surrounded with non shooters who just brick open looks all day.

2)Trade LeBron and AD for as many picks and assets as we can get, and start over with cap space and a bunch of picks. The Lakers will always be a FA destination.

There is no middle ground. It’s one or the other. Riding this roster out is not an option.

They should go to the team that replaced them from the G league. Give those teams a chance to be good. They will have a hard time being attractive to Free Agents.
Emoji Think GIF

26 of the gleague teams are owned by other NBA franchises so theoretically some owners could have 2 teams in the NBA. I'm not sure that would work. I wonder how much money g league teams could go for.
A friend of mine (who doesn’t really follow the NBA, but does follow the EPL) came up with a solution: Expand the NBA by two teams. The year those two franchises start playing, you relegate the bottom two teams from the season before. That way, an actual G-League team will never get promoted. Relegation would essentially be a one-year probation.

His idea actually goes beyond that, but I found the rest to be overkill.

Jazz very surprisingly looking real good so far this season. They are 2-0 and up ten tonight at half time at New Orleans. Larri Markkanen is playing at an All Star level so far and guys like Kelly Olynyk and Jarred Vanderbilt are playing very well also. Their new rookie coach has these guys playing extremely hard on every possesion.

Speaking of New Orleans, don't sleep on the Pels. Zion is back at 100%. They need to figure some stuff out but I've always been bullish on Brandon Ingram ( who incidently got injured in the 1st half). It wouldn't surprise me to see them go real deep if they stay healthy and if they get another scorer at the trade deadline.
Things I never thought I would type ths season: Kelly Olynyk with the game winner as the Jazz win their second straight overtime game and start the season 3-0, all against western conference playoff teams from last season.

3 games in and Zion another injury already. As good as he has looked this is always going to be the worry. Can't trust any team whose biggest star is so injury prone now

3 games in and Zion another injury already. As good as he has looked this is always going to be the worry. Can't trust any team whose biggest star is so injury prone now
In Zion's defense, Jordan Clarkson blocked his shot and he landed hard. He sat for the rest of the game and the Pels made a big comeback. But prior to this, offensively he looked good. There are things on defense he still needs to work on.

Last edited:
In Zion's defense, Jordan Clarkson blocked his shot and he landed hard. He sat for the rest of the game and the Pels made a big comeback. But prior to this, offensively he looked good. There are things on defensehe still needs to work on.

It's not his fault all said and done but as such a big guy he is always going to draw a lot of contact plus he plays so hard. It's going to be a challenge I feel for him always.

I thought Utah was tanking for the Frenchman?

Relegation with the g league would work better if the franchises weren't suburban feeders to the NBA franchises. E.g. Santa Cruz to the warriors, El Segundo to the Lakers, Westchester to the Knicks, Mississauga to the raptors etc. Most of those teams would struggle to draw a good crowd and don't really have their own franchise identity.

Relegation just isn't going to work int he confines of the US sports scene. It only works, to whatever extent it does, in soccer is because they have over a hundred years of history of having this huge pyramid of teams. We don't have anything like that. There aren't that many (any? I confess I don't know 100%) truly independent g league teams (or minor league teams in baseball) who are trying to win games as opposed to acting as developmental/feeder teams to the NBA

The Lakers have 2 choices:

1)Trade the 27 and 29 first rounders for as much shooting as possible. The defense is good enough. LeBron and AD can still play - and they’re surrounded with non shooters who just brick open looks all day.

2)Trade LeBron and AD for as many picks and assets as we can get, and start over with cap space and a bunch of picks. The Lakers will always be a FA destination.

There is no middle ground. It’s one or the other. Riding this roster out is not an option.

Is it not worth just riding the year out and using cap space in the summer? Lebron is old enough to the point where maybe it isn't feasible, you just don't know how many years of Lebron being close to this level you have left, so I get that argument. But I think they could have a ton of space this summer to do...well, something.

Relegation just isn't going to work int he confines of the US sports scene. It only works, to whatever extent it does, in soccer is because they have over a hundred years of history of having this huge pyramid of teams. We don't have anything like that. There aren't that many (any? I confess I don't know 100%) truly independent g league teams (or minor league teams in baseball) who are trying to win games as opposed to acting as developmental/feeder teams to the NBA

Yeah I mean I'd assume the worst team in the NBA would still obliterate the best team in the G-League. How would that look over an 82 game schedule? And as you and others have pointed out: G-League teams are mostly owned by NBA teams and located in one of their suburbs. It's not like there are teams in Seattle and Pittsburgh and St. Louis and Baltimore. The NBA isn't about to have a team from Grand Rapids or Des Moines in their league.

I heard that the whole crowd was screaming "NOOOOO!"
I was screaming “NOOOOO!” from my crib in Rochester. Up by one, 30 seconds left, 18, I think, on the shot clock & Russ lets it fly. What?!!

He gone.

I thought Utah was tanking for the Frenchman?
No one told the new coach and players. Markkanen played liked an All-Star the first three games and the rest of the team played well enough for them to win two in OT. If they are going to trade Conley, Clarkson and Rudy Gay, their trade value has never been higher. However, watching them the first three games, I like the way they were put together and have a lot of high energy guys on the team. I'm not saying that they will go 82-0 or 3-79, but sometimes winning is contagious. Right now, it appears that there are a lot of worse rosters out there.

New Orleans has something cooking - if they can keep Zion on the floor that team will be a tough out.
They have a lot of potential trade pieces if they want to really make a push for the title too.

New Orleans has something cooking - if they can keep Zion on the floor that team will be a tough out.

Big win with Ingram, Zion and Herb Jones out. Really impressed with Dyson Daniels and Trey Murphy last night. Murphy looks great shooting the 3. 6-9/6-10 with a quick release from beyond the arc.

Sounds like Herb and Zion should be back for Friday and Ingram in the concussion protocol so who knows

First Raps game against the Sixers this year, and less than a quarter in I am already tired of the constant flopping / baiting / arm swinging of Harden and Embiid. Most hated team in the league for me right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom