NC State Attendance | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

NC State Attendance

Ok. Why don’t you stop being coy and just say what it is determined by? Also, why you believe the dome was at half it’s capacity?

It's not as cut and dry as people seem to think. There is a scanned ticket number. They know exactly how many tickets they distribute. They know exactly how many workers are in the building. If the BO reports that 35k tickets were distributed/sold and at the half the scanner only shows 25k in the building, they tend to lean more toward the distributed number. I had never sat in a meeting when it was Gross, Coyle, or JW and the number that was announced was actually accurate. It is closer now than it's ever been though. The problem is that somewhere posters were told that we announce "actual attendance" and it's just not the case.

It's not as cut and dry as people seem to think. There is a scanned ticket number. They know exactly how many tickets they distribute. They know exactly how many workers are in the building. If the BO reports that 35k tickets were distributed/sold and at the half the scanner only shows 25k in the building, they tend to lean more toward the distributed number. I had never sat in a meeting when it was Gross, Coyle, or JW and the number that was announced was actually accurate. It is closer now than it's ever been though. The problem is that somewhere posters were told that we announce "actual attendance" and it's just not the case.
You sound like you work for the AD, but I distinctly remember reading stories in the Post Standard that indicated that SU moved from counting tickets allocated to tickets used. Then I remember seeing an attendance drop off the next year. So, I’m pretty sure we don’t count tickets sold/distributed.

As far as counting people in the building vs tickets used goes, I have no idea.

You sound like you work for the AD, but I distinctly remember reading stories in the Post Standard that indicated that SU moved from counting tickets allocated to tickets used. Then I remember seeing an attendance drop off the next year. So, I’m pretty sure we don’t count tickets sold/distributed.

As far as counting people in the building vs tickets used goes, I have no idea.

Former.

The attendance drops were kind of BS anyway because you went from 38K announced (27k actual) to 33K announced (27k actual)

At the end of the day the thing that matters most to me is just getting people to games. I don't care if they announced 100K were in the building but I just wanted to offer some insight that just because they announced 35k or whatever it was doesn't mean that was the actual people in the building. They have gotten much better at it, but there is still wiggle room for them to announce a higher number if they need to

Former.

The attendance drops were kind of BS anyway because you went from 38K announced (27k actual) to 33K announced (27k actual)

At the end of the day the thing that matters most to me is just getting people to games. I don't care if they announced 100K were in the building but I just wanted to offer some insight that just because they announced 35k or whatever it was doesn't mean that was the actual people in the building. They have gotten much better at it, but there is still wiggle room for them to announce a higher number if they need to

RE the drop: I remember thinking that attendance increased (slightly) between the years (eye test), even though the nominal attendance plummeted. But I’ve obviously never been able to prove it.

Out of curiosity, special circumstances like ECU aside, what’s the thought behind inflating the number. Is it really that people like to be a part of a big event?

EDIT: EMU, not ECU

Last edited:
RE the drop: I remember thinking that attendance increased (slightly) between the years (eye test), even though the nominal attendance plummeted. But I’ve obviously never been able to prove it.

Out of curiosity, special circumstances like ECU aside, what’s the thought behind inflating the number. Is it really that people like to be a part of a big event?

Honestly I am not entirely sure. Could be perception, could be advertisers, could be any number of things. I think perception is most important to most places. Eye tests can be so hard because everyone knows there are 49k seats in the building and it's not always easy to tell "Am I seeing 35k people here? 30k? People tend to pump it up in their head and seeing a bigger number can help them feel like they are apart of something too.

After 24 hour there is not much has changed on the Ticketmaster ticket map. On a positive note SU is now selling the $10 Faith & Family Tickets in Section 309 / Row Q which means they have sold 5 rows of discounted tickets in Section 309 during the same time frame.

The tickets between the 20’s appear to be to expensive for the casual fan at this point in time.

the first half of the game saturday was relatively quick 1 hour 20 mins, i think regulation ended at 4 hours on the button thats a problem

the first half of the game saturday was relatively quick 1 hour 20 mins, i think regulation ended at 4 hours on the button thats a problem
That includes 2 OTs. The first half was quick. UNC had a bunch of injuries in the 2nd half that added a lot of time.

ot was like 25 mins as i got to my parking spot at 445 and it took 15 mins to walk from the dome to my spot

That explains it then. People didn't have long enough to stop sitting on their hands in the first half. Seriously, did they put ludes in the water on Sat? IDC how many people are there this weekend if everyone's too busy dressing their hot dog and checking in on Snapchat. Make some noise! I could hear a cricket fart every time the band stopped.

Utica/Rome is the area I would concentrate on the most. Under an hour and they are used to driving to Syracuse (Mall/Airport/Medical) for various services. Utica also is 3+ hours away from all the local NFL teams.

Almost without fail if I see someone (from the Utica Area) wearing a Cuse shirt away from NY and ask if they are from Syracuse...they say yes (then I find out they are from Utica/Rome/Oneida/Dolgeville, etc..). LOL
Most people, like me, say Syracuse area. Then if they ask where, I'll tell them. First I just say upstate ny.

Coyle was quoted as saying he was changing it from distributed to turnstile. That’s where people got it from.

That explains it then. People didn't have long enough to stop sitting on their hands in the first half. Seriously, did they put ludes in the water on Sat? IDC how many people are there this weekend if everyone's too busy dressing their hot dog and checking in on Snapchat. Make some noise! I could hear a cricket fart every time the band stopped.
It wasn't that bad. Compared to the end? Yeah. If 7000 less people are twice as loud, then there is no reason it shouldn't be louder all game. One of the best parts of the game day experience is when the crowd is going nuts. That's what makes the ticket worth it.

It wasn't that bad. Compared to the end? Yeah. If 7000 less people are twice as loud, then there is no reason it shouldn't be louder all game. One of the best parts of the game day experience is when the crowd is going nuts. That's what makes the ticket worth it.
I'll give you that once Devito came in and sparked the team it got loud but the first half was like being at a golf event.

I'll give you that once Devito came in and sparked the team it got loud but the first half was like being at a golf event.

First half was annoyingly quiet. Gotta come out with noise this Saturday and bring it for the whole game. Give our team an edge!!!!

Honestly I am not entirely sure. Could be perception, could be advertisers, could be any number of things. I think perception is most important to most places. Eye tests can be so hard because everyone knows there are 49k seats in the building and it's not always easy to tell "Am I seeing 35k people here? 30k? People tend to pump it up in their head and seeing a bigger number can help them feel like they are apart of something too.
Sickens me to hear that inflating the number is even an option. I would be chopping heads off in the AD if I was Kent. Straight walking through that place with a machete and letting 'em rip.
You've got to own your work, good or bad. Hiding behind illusions...it just makes me sick...

I could not agree more. It isn't just the product on the football field, the stadium experience is big from parking, to entry, to concessions, etc, and IMHO the biggest thing is the games are too long. Modern world bring modern attention spans and if the sports world doesn't adapt they will be feeling it in the next generation of fans.

Biggest problem with baseballs popularity plunge with the milenials.

Biggest problem with baseballs popularity plunge with the milenials.

Baseballs plunge is a result of all age groups watching it less.

Millennials get blamed for everything it seems but in order for that to be true, millennials had to have been watching baseball in the first place and then stopped. Which they weren't.

Coyle was quoted as saying he was changing it from distributed to turnstile. That’s where people got it from.
As have members of the current Athletics Department. Even if there are no turnstiles any more!

Baseballs plunge is a result of all age groups watching it less.

Millennials get blamed for everything it seems but in order for that to be true, millennials had to have been watching baseball in the first place and then stopped. Which they weren't.
I think that the issue is usually the people who do X are old and die. They’ve been replaced by younger generations in the past, and the status quo has held. Millennials aren’t repacking them, which is causing the decline.

The question isn’t whether or not millennials did it and stopped. It’s whether people in the age range of Y to Z did it in the past and are not doing it anymore.

For example how much football did 18-24 year olds watch in 1988 vs. 18-24 year olds in 2018?

Its almost impossible to get the correct feel while at the game. Its when you watch the replays that you notice sig less attendance than it felt like at the dome.

I think that the issue is usually the people who do X are old and die. They’ve been replaced by younger generations in the past, and the status quo has held. Millennials aren’t repacking them, which is causing the decline.

The question isn’t whether or not millennials did it and stopped. It’s whether people in the age range of Y to Z did it in the past and are not doing it anymore.

For example how much football did 18-24 year olds watch in 1988 vs. 18-24 year olds in 2018?

My statement was specifically responding to what the OP said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom