NC State Postgame Thoughts | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

NC State Postgame Thoughts

If you haven’t noticed, SU has two rows of the new seats set up in the backcourt by the bookstore. They have four seats with armrests for the 100 level and four seats without arm rests for the 300 level. The backs for the 300 level are a little shorter. It’s not a big deal. It seems like the new seats will sit on the floor where you put your feet, whereas the old benches were attached to the row behind us. There’s no cup holders, but they did say they could be added in the future if they don’t hurt leg room. The two guys working there did say if you have been a season ticket holder for twenty years, you will get an additional 100 points added to your priority points. You will get 5 points for every year as a season ticket holder up to twenty years. They have not been added.

Some people scorn legit observations bc the poster is not acting like a cheerleader.

NC State is bad.
We won by a fair amount, but should have played better throughout the game. I thought we should have been up 20 at half. Could have easily been a 30 point win, if we had a half court offense, and were more consistently able to stop dribble drives.

1st 5 minutes, only 1 player is scoring? That's bad, regardless of how close the game was.

Up 21, but let them get it to within 9, w enough time where they could have drawn it down to a 50/50 game? Nothing to celebrate.

Q, Brown, Judah, can do better.

Can JT be any worse?

However, always celebrate a win, sure. I get it.
Some people feel that the team played well and NC State, while not a ACC contender,is in that m pack of about 6 teams fighting for one or two tourney spots. Yes you have the right to be critical, just like I have the right to post your being too critical , and that’s my belief.

Not related to the game but I was in Charlottesville VA for work this past week and the NC State team stayed in my hotel for their game at UVA. Nothing but nice things to say about them, very polite young men.
Where did you stay? My neck of the woods

Not sure what game you watched tonight but I feel Benny played a solid game. Take a peek at the stats of Taylor vs Benny.
Exactly. We need Benny to play like this (or hopefully even better) to go anywhere this year. We need Benny to get 10 or more and Chris to get 10 or more to win most games. It would be great if Malik got 10 as well. If we had that we’d be a tough out.

I think it was a 3 pointer that Bell made and was doing a bit much that could have earned him a technical. Red was yelling at him about it and it looked to me that Bell nodded his head and said okay. Shortly thereafter he scored again ( the dunk) and got a technical. That's enough to get seated on the bench as a lesson in humility.

I think it was a 3 pointer that Bell made and was doing a bit much that could have earned him a technical. Red was yelling at him about it and it looked to me that Bell nodded his head and said okay. Shortly thereafter he scored again ( the dunk) and got a technical. That's enough to get seated on the bench as a lesson in humility.
That makes sense. The woofing after basic plays, whining at refs & not getting back on D is no good for this team. Good on Red for correcting it.

That makes sense. The woofing after basic plays, whining at refs & not getting back on D is no good for this team. Good on Red for correcting it.

If that makes sense, then Judah should’ve sat most of the games. Because logically it would also make sense that when you stay on the offensive side of the court, complaining to the refs, and the rest of your team is forced to play four on five you should have a lesson in humility. I’m fine, sitting the kid talking to him and giving him his lesson and humility. For a few minutes. He was quite obviously one of our three best players when he was on the court today. Not to mention when he’s on the court offense is easier because of spacing.

Where did you stay? My neck of the woods

The Hyatt Place on Bond Street. I was usually pretty tired and/or had other work to do in the evenings so I stayed close to the hotel, but had excellent meals at Burger Bach, Bulpan, and BJ's Brewhouse. I love Charlottesville.

Except he didn’t get seated on the bench. The T was 1st half and he stayed in the game then started the 2nd half and played the first 7 mins. That’s an awful long time on the court to then think, I’m gonna teach him some humility.

Bell was getting back on D. He hustled his butt off last night.
Chris played one of his best games in Orange last night. You can see all year, he’s really been making an effort to get better on defense. It’s starting to happen. I thought he was very good on defense last night. I don’t think he’ll ever be a great rebounder, but you can see he’s making an effort there as well.

They were 9 for 11 while SU was 20-32.
I don’t mean that exact stat, I mean things like “if they hadn’t missed a bunch of open lay ups” or “If they didn’t turn the ball over X times.”

Bell was getting back on D. He hustled his butt off last night.
Some players weren't and haven't, & it's been a problem this season. Getting better though.

And Bell wasn't hustling back on D when he was using the shhhh gesture to the crowd, he was doing that gesture.

But, agree, he played well yesterday. Both ends of the court.

If that makes sense, then Judah should’ve sat most of the games. Because logically it would also make sense that when you stay on the offensive side of the court, complaining to the refs, and the rest of your team is forced to play four on five you should have a lesson in humility. I’m fine, sitting the kid talking to him and giving him his lesson and humility. For a few minutes. He was quite obviously one of our three best players when he was on the court today. Not to mention when he’s on the court offense is easier because of spacing.
Benny was as good yesterday. One tip in yesterday from matching his scoring output.

That was a fantastic win, and now 6 in a row vs. NC State. A few miscellaneous thoughts of things to work on to get closer to the bubble:

1. I know in the year 2024 that feeding the post is about as cool as jean shorts and cell phone belt clips, but I wish we could actually design plays for Maliq. He shoots 72% from the field and 82% from the line. Is there a reason why we can't isolate him on the low block, tell Judah/JJ to feed the post, and let him go to work maybe 3-4 times per half?

2. Taylor's confidence is on life support. He shot the ball zero times last night, and anytime he had the ball in his hands he gave it up almost immediately. He's still an important part of this roster. Justin just needs to see the ball go through the hoop a couple times, and he will relax and get his mojo back.

3. I hope Carey is a permanent part of the rotation from here on out. He held his own defensively against Burns. Similar to Justin, he just needs to see the ball go through the hoop. Would love to see our guards drive and dish to Peter for an easy dunk to get him more relaxed offensively.

4. Fast breaks. I've never seen anything like this in my life. It's bizarre how we can seem to pull off this fundamental aspect of basketball.

Again, I really don't mean to pile on Taylor, but he rarely looks like he knows what he's doing, particularly on the offensive end of the floor.

I’m having to watch the replay bc I missed the game. I don’t know if it’s JT not knowing or being afraid.

So far, when he does get the ball, he’s immediately looking to pass and nothing else.

He also had a run out where he could have sprinted towards the hoop behind the D and potentially got a pass, but he slowed up and floated out to the perimeter.

Maybe it’s both. But you can’t get better if you are scared out there or not looking to be in the action.

I dunno. It’s not great with him right now.

1. I know in the year 2024 that feeding the post is about as cool as jean shorts and cell phone belt clips, but I wish we could actually design plays for Maliq. He shoots 72% from the field and 82% from the line. Is there a reason why we can't isolate him on the low block, tell Judah/JJ to feed the post, and let him go to work maybe 3-4 times per half?

Please use the correct term, “jorts”. Thank you.

2. Taylor's confidence is on life support. He shot the ball zero times last night, and anytime he had the ball in his hands he gave it up almost immediately. He's still an important part of this roster. Justin just needs to see the ball go through the hoop a couple times, and he will relax and get his mojo back.

See my post just above. He’s a mess.

I think we played fine offensively. 39 second half points. Got lackadaisical on D for a bit and missed a bunch of free throws, which is why it wasn’t a 20+ point blowout. NC State was still never actually in the game in the second half.
Shooting tends to level out over the course of a game. They stunk the first half, and got “hot” in the second half.

Last edited:
I’m having to watch the replay bc I missed the game. I don’t know if it’s JT not knowing or being afraid.

So far, when he does get the ball, he’s immediately looking to pass and nothing else.

He also had a run out where he could have sprinted towards the hoop behind the D and potentially got a pass, but he slowed up and floated out to the perimeter.

Maybe it’s both. But you can’t get better if you are scared out there or not looking to be in the action.

I dunno. It’s not great with him right now.
It’s probably how they run the offense. Flair out to the line.

I wish we had won by 40. I'm mean I guess winning by double digits is ok. The winning part is good. We turned the ball over a few times and I wish we hadn't done that and maybe done something better like put Chris Bell in to make some 3's. Not sure what Red was doing. He must hating winning by a lot. This board man. Cracks me up. Some people in here would win the lottery and complain about paying taxes.
Ball handling against the pressure and defense were what was needed to finish out the game. We had enough offense. Bell is never going to be a finisher when we have a lead.

Ball handling against the pressure and defense were what was needed to finish out the game. We had enough offense. Bell is never going to be a finisher when we have a lead.

We aren’t talking the last few minutes. It was the last 13 mins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom