NCAA Boom | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Boom

I respectfully disagree. I hate the way the direction is going, and ultimately think it will destroy college sports and really hurt the US performance in the Olympics. According to Google, SU has 712 student athletes. That would cost us $10,680,000/yr. That's about 25% of our ACC media money.

We really need to get into private equity to set up the trust if we want to continue to play the highest level of athletics.
The way we're going is the lesser of two evils.

Also, I completely take my Syracuse fan hat out of the equation when I think about these issues.

The NCAA backed themselves into a corner making terrible decision after terrible decision and only now after every bailout option is gone do they realize the only options left are not great ones.

I have no idea what the future of college athletics will be but I am pretty damn sure that it is both only going to get worse and that it was entirely avoidable with some forward thinking and far less arrogance.

So does this mean we can tap into that endowment now?

Let's gooooooooo.
I really hope we don't use the endowment that is unaffiliated to specific grants for something so frivelous. I would hope a separate fund for athletics was created if SU decides to go full professional football. I could see us going either way tbh

This all seems like a ridiculous attempt to skirt the issue: These players are employees of a billion dollar sports league and the schools that run it can't just admit this and pay them.
You act as if this over reaching statement applies for every university and every student athlete.
It applies for male football players at about 45+ schools. All other football players and all other athletes fall way short.

The NCAA backed themselves into a corner making terrible decision after terrible decision and only now after every bailout option is gone do they realize the only options left are not great ones.

I have no idea what the future of college athletics will be but I am pretty damn sure that it is both only going to get worse and that it was entirely avoidable with some forward thinking and far less arrogance.
I've been very much against Congressional action, but at this point, Congress needs to intervene. There is a very good chance that New York and all of New England, will be left out of whatever eventually happens. Other large and important states will be as well. It's all collusion with Fox, ESPN and the B1G and SEC.

It's all a write off.

d6f97b10-e760-4f3d-a5cf-b181d1db315b_text.gif

can someone explain this to me like I’m 5? I read it and I got confused. Granted I skimmed it quickly. Seems like they want to do this. But there is no cap. So the school can have any amount of money they want into this fund and pay as much as they want. In addition. The NIL can also still come from secondary sources (non-school). So the top echelon programs with all the money will continue to get more money and use more money then the Lowe schools. And donations would be to the school so therefore would probably be tax deductible again? And can the schools use state funds for this like Rutgers did with there athletic department?

Again I read it quick. But I’m not sure how this levels the playing field at all?

can someone explain this to me like I’m 5? I read it and I got confused. Granted I skimmed it quickly. Seems like they want to do this. But there is no cap. So the school can have any amount of money they want into this fund and pay as much as they want. In addition. The NIL can also still come from secondary sources (non-school). So the top echelon programs with all the money will continue to get more money and use more money then the Lowe schools. And donations would be to the school so therefore would probably be tax deductible again? And can the schools use state funds for this like Rutgers did with there athletic department?

Again I read it quick. But I’m not sure how this levels the playing field at all?
The way I read it...and I could be wrong...It's meant to make a "Premier League" like breakoff from Division 1.

The mid majors and lower P4 schools would battle out in their old deal. Essentially making a division in between D1-A (FBS) and the old D1-AA (FCS)

I’ve been thinking all along that the current setup is not sustainable and that it would change eventually, this is faster than I thought though.

Now just introduce a salary cap system for each conference agreed upon by conference members.
Unless collectively bargained, that has anti-trust sanctions written all over it.

This issue goes away if the NFL removed the "three years after high school" restriction. The best players could get paid immediately. Professional "minor" leagues would emerge to pay other players. And the choice would be more black and white - get a job or go to school.

This issue goes away if the NFL removed the "three years after high school" restriction. The best players could get paid immediately. Professional "minor" leagues would emerge to pay other players. And the choice would be more black and white - get a job or go to school.
The NFLPA would have to agree to that as well.

I've been very much against Congressional action, but at this point, Congress needs to intervene. There is a very good chance that New York and all of New England, will be left out of whatever eventually happens. Other large and important states will be as well. It's all collusion with Fox, ESPN and the B1G and SEC.
Now I don't disagree with your premise but that fact that Congress is in the same sentence as college athletics is so facially ridiculous to me.

There are ACTUAL problems in the world and this is not one of them. This is just a bunch of rich aholes who thought the gravy train was never going to end and now want a lifeline when it's crumbling around them.

I really hope we don't use the endowment that is unaffiliated to specific grants for something so frivelous. I would hope a separate fund for athletics was created if SU decides to go full professional football. I could see us going either way tbh
I am 99.99999999999% sure SU's endowment would not be used for this.

Endowments from everything I have heard, can't be touched except for specific uses ,which are spelled out at the time of the donation.

I love it. The day NIL became the new way of the world, college sports was ruined. We are already 3/4 down this road, may as well go all the way.

And I don't want Government intervention either with this. Let's just get to the "SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST."

Even playing field for all schools, if you can raise enough money pay the players the most, and buy the best players, you will win if you can't, bye-bye! No more recruiting based of beaches and warm climates. No more recruiting off of we will prepare you for the NFL better". No more need to build fancy dorm rooms and have a resort of a football facility. I will pay you the most, and if you come here, you will live here on campus (like it or don't or go buy a condo or house you can afford it with what your getting paid), and let's get to work.

All it takes is one rich billionaire alumni to bankroll the entire thing. Hope we get lucky or have some guy from SU create the next great invention, and then he dumps his F-U money into Syracuse sports.

This is happening (and is honestly already here); whether we like it or not, might as well embrace it. Start raising money to pay players. And hope we get our SU billionaire some day to just take us to the promise-land!

I love it. The day NIL became the new way of the world, college sports was ruined. We are already 3/4 down this road, may as well go all the way.

And I don't want Government intervention either with this. Let's just get to the "SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST."

Even playing field for all schools, if you can raise enough money pay the players the most, and buy the best players, you will win if you can't, bye-bye! No more recruiting based of beaches and warm climates. No more recruiting off of we will prepare you for the NFL better". No more need to build fancy dorm rooms and have a resort of a football facility. I will pay you the most, and if you come here, you will live here on campus (like it or don't or go buy a condo or house you can afford it with what your getting paid), and let's get to work.

All it takes is one rich billionaire alumni to bankroll the entire thing. Hope we get lucky or have some guy from SU create the next great invention, and then he dumps his F-U money into Syracuse sports.

This is happening (and is honestly already here); whether we like it or not, might as well embrace it. Start raising money to pay players. And hope we get our SU billionaire some day to just take us to the promise-land!
I would agree with you if it would actually get to be a survival of the fittest. It's not going to be that way. It'll be ESPN and Fox deciding that some schools bring in more money to them and they'll promote and pay those schools enough money while the rest, and likely Syracuse, fall by the wayside.

Could this change if Amazon and Apple or Netflix decide to become big players in sports and buy up properties, then maybe?

I just want to get it over with though whatever happens. The slow drip of the coming apocalypse of college sports is exhausting. Though I think the networks are a bit shortsighted if they leave out entire regions of the country that are already pre-disposed to NFL and pro sports. I hope their long term ratings collapse.

The way I read it...and I could be wrong...It's meant to make a "Premier League" like breakoff from Division 1.

The mid majors and lower P4 schools would battle out in their old deal. Essentially making a division in between D1-A (FBS) and the old D1-AA (FCS)
I mean this is what has always been predicted, but instead of breaking away from the NCAA, they would adapt this model...at least for now. Eventually when the ACC GoR is up (Or maybe before?) the SEC/B10 will feast like vultures and those lucky enough to be the chosen ones will play D1 football and those left will be in this middle division between D1 and FCS. I could see some schools choosing to potentially opt out, we all know who they are, unless they are just happy with cashing checks, and not competing?

What I want to know is what happens to schools who get left out if the B10/SEC breakaway from the NCAA, but some schools still want to compete at the D1 level. They can't make the B10/SEC take them along for the ride, but if this model is adapted for the NCAA there would probably only be a couple of handful of schools willing to continue to pay kids under this ruling. What would that look like? I don't know if this is good or bad for Syracuse, but just as all of these changes, I think this would negatively effect Syracuse?

I just want to get it over with though whatever happens. The slow drip of the coming apocalypse of college sports is exhausting. Though I think the networks are a bit shortsighted if they leave out entire regions of the country that are already pre-disposed to NFL and pro sports. I hope their long term ratings collapse.
Agree with that, we need the end game to just be here. Get to it. Rip the band-aid off. Tell me the playing field and the rules, then every school do what they have to do. That I agree with.

And with legal sports gambling, I think all parts of the country will always be involved with college football. Even if one region (the northeast) doesn't have a school in the top tier or even in the mega conferences for the most part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom