NCAA Boom | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Boom

The NFL somehow makes it work...sadly they need to figure out if 80 or so schools can adopt some rigid, verifiable rules on payment

The IRS will surely want a cut too...and they should get a cut.
It works in pro sports because the athletes have unions, and they are able to negotiate caps in their contracts.

College athletes don't have unions--at least so far. Lacking contract agreements, individual college athletes could sue colleges/leagues and likely win, based upon what the Supreme Court ruled in 2021.

I would agree with you if it would actually get to be a survival of the fittest. It's not going to be that way. It'll be ESPN and Fox deciding that some schools bring in more money to them and they'll promote and pay those schools enough money while the rest, and likely Syracuse, fall by the wayside.

Could this change if Amazon and Apple or Netflix decide to become big players in sports and buy up properties, then maybe?

I just want to get it over with though whatever happens. The slow drip of the coming apocalypse of college sports is exhausting. Though I think the networks are a bit shortsighted if they leave out entire regions of the country that are already pre-disposed to NFL and pro sports. I hope their long term ratings collapse.
Spot on. How are they going to leave out entire regions of the country and programs and not expect ratings to take a hit. The NFL is the NFL. CFB had it own uniqueness that made it intriguing for those to watch who's team wasn't exactly playing. A few long-term rivalries will be put to an end next season:
Bedhlam
Civil War
Apple Cup

Who knows how many more when realignment continues. Traditions and rivalries like this are what made college sports fun. Going to a more pro model is just a repeat of what most of us watch on Sunday's. I can see rating take a hit and then media contracts...or at least one can hope...that is if we are left out :)

Spot on. How are they going to leave out entire regions of the country and programs and not expect ratings to take a hit. The NFL is the NFL. CFB had it own uniqueness that made it intriguing for those to watch who's team wasn't exactly playing. A few long-term rivalries will be put to an end next season:
Bedhlam
Civil War
Apple Cup

Who knows how many more when realignment continues. Traditions and rivalries like this are what made college sports fun. Going to a more pro model is just a repeat of what most of us watch on Sunday's. I can see rating take a hit and then media contracts...or at least one can hope...that is if we are left out :)
Over consolidation definitely destroys the unique attraction that college sports has always had for sports fans.

Bedhlam
Civil War
Apple Cup

Plus they'll whittle down to 40 in the super leagues. The other schools should stand strong and boycott them for football. No payday games. No letting them pad their records. Just let them play each other. It'll be fun to see a few blue bloods turn into 2 win programs. But I wont be watching, I'll just read about it.

The way I read it...and I could be wrong...It's meant to make a "Premier League" like breakoff from Division 1.

The mid majors and lower P4 schools would battle out in their old deal. Essentially making a division in between D1-A (FBS) and the old D1-AA (FCS)
I guess I got that part. But I still don’t understand what it’s changing. By doing this; you’re now cutting out even more lower schools from the money. But you still have a massive discrepancy of have and have nots. The pie doesn’t get bigger. The only difference from today. Now the school can give NIL money; but the kid can still get it from a secondary means. Also; you know remove 60 or so schools. But now you’re cutting the television money they are pricey too. And most likely keeping the same amount of money you make today. I just don’t understand the point of it. But that’s probably me. I just Don’t understand what this solves. Just another set of income for the players coming directly from the schools.

I guess I got that part. But I still don’t understand what it’s changing. By doing this; you’re now cutting out even more lower schools from the money. But you still have a massive discrepancy of have and have nots. The pie doesn’t get bigger. The only difference from today. Now the school can give NIL money; but the kid can still get it from a secondary means. Also; you know remove 60 or so schools. But now you’re cutting the television money they are pricey too. And most likely keeping the same amount of money you make today. I just don’t understand the point of it. But that’s probably me. I just Don’t understand what this solves. Just another set of income for the players coming directly from the schools.
They want to remove sharing the TV contracts especially the playoff money with the lower schools. They want the haves and have nots. That’s what this changes

Ultimately, what makes professional sports great is the parity. That is due to the salary cap. They make so much money. They still get NIL money, but it’s national sponsors. No one is paying Rodgers more NIL because he went from the Packers to the Jets. They want superstars that are recognizable. Maybe not a great example because of his weirdness, but the point is, his “NIL” is the same regardless of location.

In college, there is no salary cap. The kids only make money by NIL. So players will go where NIL is. NIL is essentially boosters “owners” who are trying to pay players to come play at there school. But because it is NIL. There is no way to regulate it like a salary cap. Even if these kids make 100,000 dollars a year, the boosters are still going to kick in the same amount of NiL to get a kid to come to their school. It’s a perk they can offer to entice a kid to come to school. Because college players don’t get paid millions of dollars and NIL is essentially their funds, there will always be certain schools that will be able to utilize NiL to pay a kid more.

They want to remove sharing the TV contracts especially the playoff money with the lower schools. They want the haves and have nots. That’s what this changes
but the schools they are keeping still can’t compete either unless they drop down to 12 schools!!! And what do they get from keeping Coastal Carolina or James Madison away from their league? They can’t schedule them and they have to schedule more games against like opponents? But even today, the SEC refuses to play 9 conference games and schedule these sisters of the poor schools instead. If they want more money they have to schedule better games. They can do the same exact thing today and they won’t. So I’m not sure what they achieve from leaving these other teams behind. The money is still tied to the conference media deals. These coastal Carolina’s and James Madison playing in the same division do nothing to increase or decrease the schools monetary values.

Only way money increases is if they break off and end conference affiliation and negotiate one contract like the NFL.

but the schools they are keeping still can’t compete either unless they drop down to 12 schools!!! And what do they get from keeping Coastal Carolina or James Madison away from their league? They can’t schedule them and they have to schedule more games against like opponents? But even today, the SEC refuses to play 9 conference games and schedule these sisters of the poor schools instead. If they want more money they have to schedule better games. They can do the same exact thing today and they won’t. So I’m not sure what they achieve from leaving these other teams behind. The money is still tied to the conference media deals. These coastal Carolina’s and James Madison playing in the same division do nothing to increase or decrease the schools monetary values.

Only way money increases is if they break off and end conference affiliation and negotiate one contract like the NFL.
Correct the money is tied to the conference deals and as we just saw the PAC 12 went into the ether and 2 schools got stuck in limbo. That’s what they want. The non powerhouse Big 12 and ACC schools will get eliminated from the tv deals

Bedhlam
Civil War
Apple Cup

Yeah. Why would I want to watch minor league football? How many minor league baseball games are televised?

It should be like Free agency, you sign a kid out of the portal, you have to kick back some money to the school that lost the kid. Then we can solidify ourselves as the Marlins of College Football lol

Would you rather be the Marlins with two rings but a massive amount of horrible seasons or the Rays with perennial championship aspirations but no rings?

Hate it but it might save the game

Sadly, the largest 80 or so schools need to set some limits...dare I say a salary cap or something to that effect
Should also require half the money be used for academic schollies or cash

Plus they'll whittle down to 40 in the super leagues. The other schools should stand strong and boycott them for football. No payday games. No letting them pad their records. Just let them play each other. It'll be fun to see a few blue bloods turn into 2 win programs. But I wont be watching, I'll just read about it.
If they get down to 40 (or 48 or whatever) they will only play each other in all sports. They won't schedule the schools not in the 40. Because they don't want to share the money and they will have their own mini-March Madness, and their own football playoff, their own TV deals, and will keep 100% of the money for themselves. It's coming. We don't have to worry about those teams scheduling everyone else. Those days will end.

And they won't care about 2 win seasons, or 10 win seasons. The money will be so big, and so much that will come before winning on the playing field.

MIIf they get down to 40 (or 48 or whatever) they will only play each other in all sports. They won't schedule the schools not in the 40. Because they don't want to share the money and they will have their own mini-March Madness, and their own football playoff, their own TV deals, and will keep 100% of the money for themselves. It's coming. We don't have to worry about those teams scheduling everyone else. Those days will end.

And they won't care about 2 win seasons, or 10 win seasons. The money will be so big, and so much that will come before winning on the playing field.
That might be the admins, but the fans are not going to like 2 wins seasons.

But otherwise I agree with you. Some fans will get used to watching the NFL's minor league. I have a feeling most will learn to enjoy fall Saturdays.

If they are going to be employees then they should be forced to sign a contract to stay at the school a number of years. Also, sign some sort of NDA. Foolish not to do this.

I think they should call it 4X16.

Don't give up, don't ever give up.
Or include even more schools. We've killed a ton of tradition already. Some of Syracuse's oldest rivals are playing in other conferences. Syracuse lost it's identity too playing in a primarily Carolina conference.

If this whole thing gets blown up maybe more schools with relegation and some geographical order might be fun. I don't know all the answers but the current system is rigged in favor of a select few.

Last edited:
If they are going to be employees then they should be forced to sign a contract to stay at the school a number of years. Also, sign some sort of NDA. Foolish not to do this.
It goes both ways though. The Alabama’s of the worlds have to keep players that don’t pan out. They would never agree to that.

Or include even more schools. We've killed a ton of tradition already. Some of Syracuse's oldest rivals are playing in other conferences. Syracuse lost it's identity too playing in a primarily Carolina conference.

If this whole thing gets blown up maybe more schools with relegation and some geographically order might be fun. I don't know all the answers but the current system is rigged in favor of a select few.
Confrences negotiating their own media contracts is killing the sport. Conferences are only concerned with increasing revenue for their teams. There are essentially now 5 Commissioners of college football (Notre Dame the 5th). It’s essentially 5 small NFL’s. There is no clear voice and vision. You have 5 different commissioners trying to outsmart and outflank each other.

This would all be solved if they negotiated under one umbrella instead of multiple conferences. Unfortunately, there is now too many mouths to feed and no one will willingly give up the money and power of losing their conference. The failed “Alliance” is a perfect example.

Confrences negotiating their own media contracts is killing the sport. Conferences are only concerned with increasing revenue for their teams. There are essentially now 5 Commissioners of college football (Notre Dame the 5th). It’s essentially 5 small NFL’s. There is no clear voice and vision. You have 5 different commissioners trying to outsmart and outflank each other.

This would all be solved if they negotiated under one umbrella instead of multiple conferences. Unfortunately, there is now too many mouths to feed and no one will willingly give up the money and power of losing their conference. The failed “Alliance” is a perfect example.

The alliance was a kin to Sonny going to protect his sister on the causeway, a set up.

I love it. The day NIL became the new way of the world, college sports was ruined. We are already 3/4 down this road, may as well go all the way.

And I don't want Government intervention either with this. Let's just get to the "SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST."

Even playing field for all schools, if you can raise enough money pay the players the most, and buy the best players, you will win if you can't, bye-bye! No more recruiting based of beaches and warm climates. No more recruiting off of we will prepare you for the NFL better". No more need to build fancy dorm rooms and have a resort of a football facility. I will pay you the most, and if you come here, you will live here on campus (like it or don't or go buy a condo or house you can afford it with what your getting paid), and let's get to work.

All it takes is one rich billionaire alumni to bankroll the entire thing. Hope we get lucky or have some guy from SU create the next great invention, and then he dumps his F-U money into Syracuse sports.

This is happening (and is honestly already here); whether we like it or not, might as well embrace it. Start raising money to pay players. And hope we get our SU billionaire some day to just take us to the promise-land!
You seriously don’t think the government isn’t already involved in this? How many non government run universities are involved in what is mainly a BiG 10-SEC push? I think there’s lots of naivete thinking government officials aren’t already involved. Government didn’t affect conference alignments? Government (Supreme court) hasn’t been involved? Do we really believe that government officials don’t affect who the NCAA targets and who they don’t. Government involvement doesn’t normally start on the federal level either. Sorry, I’m sad about my own cynicism too.

You seriously don’t think the government isn’t already involved in this? How many non government run universities are involved in what is mainly a BiG 10-SEC push? I think there’s lots of naivete thinking government officials aren’t already involved. Government didn’t affect conference alignments? Government (Supreme court) hasn’t been involved? Do we really believe that government officials don’t affect who the NCAA targets and who they don’t. Government involvement doesn’t normally start on the federal level either. Sorry, I’m sad about my own cynicism too.
A cynic is a skeptic who aged. I know from personal experience.

Not that this is a primary reason for the NCAA’s recommendation of a separate division, but I’ve heard a lot of boosters have been pushing for schools to be able to pay.

Boosters today do not get tax credit, nor credit in schools point system for tickets, since NIL doesn’t go thru the school. As a result, some big boosters sit out

Not that this is a primary reason for the NCAA’s recommendation of a separate division, but I’ve heard a lot of boosters have been pushing for schools to be able to pay.

Boosters today do not get tax credit, nor credit in schools point system for tickets, since NIL doesn’t go thru the school. As a result, some big boosters sit out
They want a tax break for paying someone for a service. Crazy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom