NCAA Rule Change extends 3-point line | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Rule Change extends 3-point line

Players will still shoot three-pointers, so couldn't it also make the zone have to extend even more?
I was thinking the same thing. Having to extend a lil bit more therefore leaving the middle open that commentators never fail to mention that it's the opponents sweet spot to hit ;). Still think it's a good thing this will happen and will help more than potentially hurt maybe at times

And maybe they don't and what makes it positive? And why should they be the same? What are the percentages of college players actually needing to play by pro rules because they will be playing in the pros? Vast majority won't so no need to play pro rules. And are the pro rule right? I mean pros travel more often than not on drives. Yeah it's not their rules but that's how they play. I guess MAYBE if the pros actually followed their rules and applied the equally to ALL players I would feel different.

I just think that if the basket is 10 feet tall you don't make it 8 feet in high school and 9 feet in college.

I was thinking the same thing. Having to extend a lil bit more therefore leaving the middle open that commentators never fail to mention that it's the opponents sweet spot to hit ;). Still think it's a good thing this will happen and will help more than potentially hurt maybe at times
I agree, but for certain teams it will be tougher. Remember last fall's UConn game at MSG with the NBA three-point line on the court in addition to the NCAA line? That was not fun.

Anything that hurts the zone I'm all for. I've had enough of hoping-the-ball-doesn't-go-in basketball that's only gotten worse over the years. If the zone has to extend out farther and more shots are available inside the arc where a higher percentage can hopefully go in that's a good thing. That might get me hoping again that we'd actually see some variety from JB on both ends of the court. I'd much prefer to see the game open up and the ball actually go through the basket for both teams than the way it is now.

i dont think we play any different on D. some of the 3s will become 2s unless the offense backs up further and some kids wont shoot as well that extra few inches. the good shooters dont care as much about the line if they are set its the other kids we need to hope keep shooting.

I think these changes will make the Syracuse 2-3 zone more effective. For a team that doesn’t shoot great from the outside, and has been having increasing issues defending the 3 point shot, this will be a godsend.
UVA says hold my beer they were making wide open long threes against Cuse. Counterpoint to this is guarding a wider further 3pt line will introduce more space in the zone

Hey we hear Boeheim has three 3- point gunslingers next year.

Let’s move that line back ASAP

Think it is a positive rather than a negative. Shooters can shoot, move the line back and they're still excellent, where the line is now, guys who have no business shooting can hit 33% or better, those guys won't be shooting anymore.

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved moving the 3-point line to the international basketball distance of 22 feet, 1¾ inches in men’s basketball. The rule will be effective for the 2019-20 season in Division I. Due to the potential financial impact of placing a new line on courts, the new 3-point line will go into effect for the 2020-21 season in Divisions II and III.

The panel also approved resetting the shot clock at 20 seconds after a field goal attempt hits the rim and the offensive team rebounds the ball in the front court. The change is being made to enhance the pace of the game. The committee decided a full 30-second shot clock is not needed because the offensive team is already in the front court after securing the rebound. This was an experimental rule in the 2019 NIT, as well.

The panel approved a proposal where players will be assessed a technical foul should they use derogatory language about an opponent’s race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identify, s e xual orientation or disability.

Coaches will be allowed to call live-ball timeouts in the last two minutes of the second half and the last two minutes of any overtime periods. Previously, coaches weren’t allowed to call any live-ball timeouts during the game.

In the last two minutes of the second half or the last two minutes of any overtime, instant replay review can be conducted if a basket interference or goaltending call has been made.

I'm wondering the impact of the longer 3pt line on the zone...

Will this help or hurt us?

I’m in the camp that thinks this might be one of our best 3-point shoring teams in school history. So it should hurt our offense and likely help our defense.

I’m in the camp that thinks this might be one of our best 3-point shoring teams in school history. So it should hurt our offense and likely help our defense.

I think that logic makes perfect sense on paper, but I'm not sure whether it is accurate anymore.

Kids are bombing away from far beyond the three point line now -- back in the day, range used to basically extend to where the three point line was [obviously, there have always been exceptions with kids who could shoot adeptly from further out], but that isn't the case anymore.

Unless they abolish the corner 3 it won't matter. Guys are good out to 25 now.

I think that logic makes sense on paper, but I'm not sure whether it is accurate anymore.

Kids are bombing away from far beyond the three point line now -- back in the day, range used to basically extend to where the three point line was [with few exceptions], but that isn't the case anymore.

Well, we’ll have to see. But if if extending the line is suppposed to cut down on 3s, it’s probably not going to work.

I don’t think this will make a significant impact tbh. Don’t think an extra foot changes much for most of the shooters out there.

The shot clock reset is more exciting to me

Fortunately for us, Howard, Battle, and Brissett would all most likely struggle with the three point line moved back. Imagine the amount of long 2s that Howard would take if he still had a year here?

Well, we’ll have to see. But if if extending the line is suppposed to cut down on 3s, it’s probably not going to work.

Agreed -- it probably cuts down on the number of players [i.e, the borderline guys] taking threes, but don't think it will have much impact in the big scheme.

Will probably have a bigger / more significant influence on floor spacing.

I think that logic makes perfect sense on paper, but I'm not sure whether it is accurate anymore.

Kids are bombing away from far beyond the three point line now -- back in the day, range used to basically extend to where the three point line was [obviously, there have always been exceptions with kids who could shoot adeptly from further out], but that isn't the case anymore.

Tend to agree, an extra foot and change might make a difference to guys who aren't truly 3 point shooters, but won't make a difference to the natural shooters. Might impact the spacing in the lane as the news release indicates though.

I don’t think it will reduce the number of three point shots taken. It will force our wings to have to cover even farther away from the basket. Good luck recovering and getting any kind of rebounding position. I doubt JB will allow our wings to just let them shoot. I think it will hurt our defense. I don’t think it will really bother Hughes, Buddy, or Girard. It might make it tougher for a Guerrier and Goodine.

Not if the additional distance causes a significant decrease in 3 pt make percentage.
That's my thought. I think we could do more defend the middle and make people shoot from out there. Especially certain people. Like when we played Duke this last year.

I don’t think it will reduce the number of three point shots taken. It will force our wings to have to cover even farther away from the basket. Good luck recovering and getting any kind of rebounding position. I doubt JB will allow our wings to just let them shoot. I think it will hurt our defense. I don’t think it will really bother Hughes, Buddy, or Girard. It might make it tougher for a Guerrier and Goodine.

Yup...just more room to cover now (albeit very small)

In the early 80's we had some great out-side shooters but lacked an inside game. We started recruiting bigger guys but lost much of our perimeter game, just in time to have the three point shot legalized. Now we've got a team full of three point shooters, so they extend the line.

Only if the opponent is actually hitting shots from there. You don't have to closely defend every shot, just the ones that have a decent percentage of being converted. A team's best outside shooter(s) may not be impacted, but I suspect the secondary and tertiary long range threats on many teams will be rendered less effective by the change, which may actually make our defense more effective.

I just think that if the basket is 10 feet tall you don't make it 8 feet in high school and 9 feet in college.
Very good point. But still better than baseball, where you can use metal bats in college

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom