Neil Nunn | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Neil Nunn

Either the cop is lying :rolleyes: or he has X-ray vision. Able to observe the butt upon approach, yet it was "completely concealed from ordinary sight". Either it wasn't concealed, which is how he saw it, or it was concealed and it was an illegal search. Judge should dismiss on motion.

He couldn't see the butt until after the driver exited the vehicle. Would he have been able to see it if both passengers were still seated?

If Nunn doesn't run, do they have probable cause for a further search?

I could see this unfolding and going either way. Wouldn't surprise me if there is a criminal case against him, wouldn't be surprised if he's eventually cleared.

Wish he hadn't tried to run into the house, and kept his mouth shut -- brought additional scrutiny, so he'll have to live with whatever outcome he gets.

To me this kids arrest is just another in a long line of harsh examples of why guardians of kids who grow up in dangerous neighborhoods need to seriously consider the advantage of these kids playing for schools that are distanced from the problems both geographically and socially.
SU or any other school outside of driving distance is a good thing. Sending your child to SU has many advantages. Dino might not be the best football coach but he is certainly someone you can trust your Kid with. Academically SU isnt Ivey but it also isn't Mississippi State.
To me this is what SU has to sell.
Great Man as Head Coach
Excellent Academics
Socially and Geographical distance
ACC Network.

I think Florida under 21 can possess a fireman but not concealed. Need a permit. No idea bout carrying in the pocket vs just being in the car.

the kid in the projects can legally posses a firearm to though, the same as gi Joe.

I looked up florida law on the possession, seems you can be under 21 and posses a firearm, but it’s the concealed part that’s a problem. Idk if Miami proper has different laws, but in Florida you need a permit to conceal carry. I guess the gun is legally owned though or he’d have been charged with that to.
Would/Should a gun in the glove box be considered a concealed carry?

According to the charging doc he made an unprovoked excited utterance admitting to possessing it

he admitted to handling the gun but the officer did not see it in his possession. it’s in the side of the door and nunn at this point isnt even in the car.

it looks like all of this will just be thrown out. I’ll be curious to see who the owner of the gun is though. But - that we know of - it’s not Nunns car, he’s not driving the car, he’s a passenger in the car the gun is likely owned by someone else. He isn’t even in possession of the gun, which the officer admits the gun is in the side of the door. If it were in his pocket he’d have a bigger problem.

Last edited:
he admitted to handling the gun but the officer did not see it in his possession. it’s in the side of the door and nunn at this point isnt even in the car.

it looks like all of this will just be thrown out. I’ll be curious to see who the owner of the gun is though. But - that we know of - it’s not Nunns car, he’s not driving the car, he’s a passenger in the car the gun is likely owned by someone else. He isn’t even in possession of the gun, which the officer admits the gun is in the side of the door. If it were in his pocket he’d have a bigger problem.

I expect him to be back for the season.

Admitting to handling it is admitting to possessing it. Shouldnt have admitted to having it, ran, or better yet chilled with guys who illegally run around the streets with guns or even illegally run around with guns himself (who knows).

Sucks, hope the kid rights the ship, Richards seems to have had a good bounce back so far after his oopsies. Gun charges are obviously taken more seriously but maybe he gets some athlete leeway.

I expect him to be back for the season.
I do too.

Should he have had a gun in the car he was driving? Probably not. Should he have run from the police? Probably not.

But given where he is from (where this apparently went down), and given he is a young black man, I can see why he might want a gun close by. And why he might want to run when the police come after him.

He didn't shoot anyone. He didn't rape anyone. He didn't hurt anyone.

Given where he is from and his circumstances, I think he definitely deserves to stay on the team and in college. If he showed he is a danger to society and could hurt people on campus, I would think differently.
Let's give these kids a chance to turn their lives around and make themselves productive members of society.

I do too.

Should he have had a gun in the car he was driving? Probably not. Should he have run from the police? Probably not.

But given where he is from (where this apparently went down), and given he is a young black man, I can see why he might want a gun close by. And why he might want to run when the police come after him.

He didn't shoot anyone. He didn't rape anyone. He didn't hurt anyone.

Given where he is from and his circumstances, I think he definitely deserves to stay on the team and in college. If he showed he is a danger to society and could hurt people on campus, I would think differently.
Let's give these kids a chance to turn their lives around and make themselves productive members of society.
It will depend on how Dino feels. Knowing Dino, he will support the kid and give him a second chance. It will go a long way with his mom and trying to recruit future players in the area. Unfortunately, the decision might not be in Dino’s control, but the university.

It will depend on how Dino feels. Knowing Dino, he will support the kid and give him a second chance. It will go a long way with his mom and trying to recruit future players in the area. Unfortunately, the decision might not be in Dino’s control, but the university.

Which is probably why Tomcat's point about context is important. If the gun were used to perpetrate any criminal activity, Nunn would be gonezo.

This? Probably not, but he could still be gone. More likely, he's cleared and given a second chance with some conditions to meet.

The worst thing to do for Neil would be to kick him off of the team. It seems like he needs to be as far away from home as possible.

Definitely an incident that warrants a second chance

Is having a gun in your car not the same as having the gun on your persons under the law? I dont get the distinction ppl are raising?

Typical racially motivated stop. I live in a privileged suburban area and nobody would get searched or approached by police for taking up two parking spots at a townhouse or Target, etc. Still bad news they had a gun and that it was loaded. Hopefully kid has a clean record and gets back to school. This is a happenstance of his environment, not saying he does not own some of the responsibility. Worse thing that could happen is they give kid a felony, he can’t go to school, play ball or get a job. Hopefully it turns out for the best.

Typical racially motivated stop. I live in a privileged suburban area and nobody would get searched or approached by police for taking up two parking spots at a townhouse or Target, etc. Still bad news they had a gun and that it was loaded. Hopefully kid has a clean record and gets back to school. This is a happenstance of his environment, not saying he does not own some of the responsibility. Worse thing that could happen is they give kid a felony, he can’t go to school, play ball or get a job. Hopefully it turns out for the best.
Is that “racially” motivated? Or “geographically” motivated? I mean scrutiny applied in the area where crime is common.

It’s a misdemeanor in North Carolina. It is a felony charge if you have been previously convicted of CCW and get charged with it after the misdemeanor conviction. Florida is pretty strict apparently.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom