Never seen more mentally soft seniors | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Never seen more mentally soft seniors

Francis should answer this question, but the quick summary is that his top two were SU and Duke. He picked Duke, then quickly felt a sense of buyer's remorse when he got to Durham. I also don't read too much into him not playing--they had a veteran backcourt and another frosh who played a TON. A friend of mine who is a big Duke fan was disappointed to see him transfer.

Kid sounds like a great prospect--quality pickup for us. Also glad that he had a chance to practice all year with his new teammates. I expect him to be ready to start and contribute at a high level next year--hope he can shoot consistently.

Can he really play guard at 6-7? Would he be Tyler Ennis' back-up at the point if MCW jumps to the pros?

It's not personal - I love the kid (which is why it's sad to see it going this way), I'm not a huge fan of Baye's game either (obviously) but I love his effort and I think both are great program players and are certainly capable of playing here - never said differently.

I just never thought BT should be a starter - would have been a great third guard.
Oh I worded that wrong. Didn't mean you were piling on. :) Just agreed not a fan of his game. Just too inconsistent. As for Baye I like his energy off the bench. Just wish he was 15 pounds heavier.

In my life. Brandon and James are softer than wet charmin. This team is going nowhere fast.
Dont call brandon mentally soft, you know what i have been saying his whole career about him and posters get all worked up about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just never thought BT should be a starter - would have been a great third guard.

I'm a big BT guy and always have been. That said, he never even remotely reached (with a couple of small exceptions in individual halves) what I thought he could be. So that's my caveat.

But to say he shouldn't have been a starter is stupid. He's terrible right now...no question. But to say he shouldn't start is ridiculous.

And I don't want to hear the Cooney BS. He can't even get his shot off in a game.

44cuse

Jake - question. We all know JS' limitations, but what is going on with BT? Is it his back? Confidence? Loss of focus? It's ust so puzzling.

I'm a big BT guy and always have been. That said, he never even remotely reached (with a couple of small exceptions in individual halves) what I thought he could be. So that's my caveat.

But to say he shouldn't have been a starter is stupid. He's terrible right now...no question. But to say he shouldn't start is ridiculous.

And I don't want to hear the Cooney BS. He can't even get his shot off in a game.

44cuse

Let me clarify, I don't think he should have started any year (Sophomore year is debatable I guess, but developing Dion would have paid greater dividends imo), because he should have been recruited over even going into this year. Or at least been a token starter for this final year.

So, this year, yes, he should start by default considering our roster, I wouldn't argue TC over BT (i'm not insane)- but I don't think it ever should have come to that.

I like him as someone off the bench, capable of a big half and some extended run when those outbursts occur, but fairly average in most facets of the game. A great program player, a great kid, and it's definitely sad to see it playing out like this because he is a lot better than what we've seen over the past few weeks.

Anyone think Southerland's promotion to the starting five has caused him to press a bit? He had never started a game before him 1-10 debacle on Wednesday.

Anyone think Southerland's promotion to the starting five has caused him to press a bit? He had never started a game before him 1-10 debacle on Wednesday.

I understood why he was granted the start on senior day.

But ostensibly the purpose behind starting him today was that, as a senior, he wouldn't be rattled by the pressure of a big game against our arch rival, playing in a hostile environment. If that was the intent, it sure didn't work out.

Can he really play guard at 6-7? Would he be Tyler Ennis' back-up at the point if MCW jumps to the pros?

Can't be any worse than what we've gotten there this year.

Jake - question. We all know JS' limitations, but what is going on with BT? Is it his back? Confidence? Loss of focus? It's ust so puzzling.

He completely went in the tank when JB said "It's Brandon's team" after one game. Just couldn't handle it. He's not the alpha dog. He's a teammate.

I shouldn't blame just those two, now that I've cooled off a bit. This team just doesn't have a player to take over once adversity strikes. The ball gets rolling downhill so fast against them. It needs a Dion personality.

It's just been do ugly offensively. Can't blame anyone but ourselves.

We could of swept the crumbs underneath the rug if dion was still here.

In my life. Brandon and James are softer than wet charmin. This team is going nowhere fast.

Unconvinced - this sounds like the 'they didn't try hard' post - everyone likes to try to pin it down to this or that - it is more complex than this or that.

Let me clarify, I don't think he should have started any year (Sophomore year is debatable I guess, but developing Dion would have paid greater dividends imo), because he should have been recruited over even going into this year. Or at least been a token starter for this final year.

So, this year, yes, he should start by default considering our roster, I wouldn't argue TC over BT (i'm not insane)- but I don't think it ever should have come to that.

I like him as someone off the bench, capable of a big half and some extended run when those outbursts occur, but fairly average in most facets of the game. A great program player, a great kid, and it's definitely sad to see it playing out like this because he is a lot better than what we've seen over the past few weeks.

Very unlike this board. Great post and well qualified. Given how things have played out, it'd be hard for me to disagree with any of that. I'm the guy who remembers BT rising up during his FR year and nearly destroying the tin and thinking to myself: "damn, this kids gonna be incredible." And there was just enough (for a believer like me) along the way to keep me on the hook.

But at the end if the day, it played out more like you described it. sucks because we run a loose program and I'd like it if a kid like BT ( who worked hard and stayed clean and didn't complain) was the norm.

44cuse

Sad, but true.

I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the principals move on. I know that opens me up to "wait til next year" criticism, but that's honestly how I feel.

Bring on Ennis, Gbinije, and Roberson.

There's no way to deny it at this point.

I've been following SU basketball for a long time and I can't ever recall our offense performing worse than yesterday.

It was probably the worst final regular season game performance by seniors in the history of the program.

. :) Just agreed not a fan of his game. Just too inconsistent. As for Baye I like his energy off the bench. Just wish he was 15 pounds heavier.

and had been born with hands.

44cuse

Agreed. And who would bring the ball up against a pressing team if BT wasn't in there? Clearly not our lottery pick PG.

image.jpg

I'm just disappointed. Really thought BT would have a great senior year and thought James would be more consistent.

I don't think BT ever bought into his role at the "2". He always viewed himself as a point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom