New AD: Mark Coyle from Boise | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

New AD: Mark Coyle from Boise

Who do you want to get rid of?

NCAA rules only allow you to have 9 assistant coaches.

well that's a drag...actually I think I knew this already from reading it in another thread but was shooting for pie in the sky dreams. I'll be the first to admit that I am in no way a stat head or an expert on football, I just remember shaking my head and my fist at some of the bonehead plays by special teams. Carry on folks

Hey man, read it how you want. You're reality is always hazy anyways.
hazy is how you view the unis when trying to tell us theres more Orange there than we see or need...

th

The newAD might be one of the best things that has happened to the school and i athletic fans in many years.A kind of fresh start for all programs. he seems to be a solid thinking man who knows the job and has been around the block. No big promises but he does demand results from the money maker programs. Syverud got to him quickly on that subject.Ss the new guy in town he might actually get the $ to make those ideas attainable. I like him thus far but he hasn't done anything yet to form a correct opinion.

Everyone bagging on the Lester promotion without a search has no idea what Gross offered for money.

That's a good point, and one I don't often think about. I'd just hate to think that given the ACC additional $ and the fact that Shafer is on low end of head coach salary, that we kept his budget too low for the most important position on his staff (as a defensive minded HC).

But I guess nothing would surprise me with Gross. It's possible he was giving some Executive Senior Associate Deputy Assistant Athletic Director an extra $100k for each promotional title that was added.

Everyone talking about more budget for coaches salaries need to keep in kind this staff is being paid what they can command on the market, for the last part. Thereof hit be some bumps as a normal raise or a bigger bump to a coach who has another school after them, but don't expect thus staff to all of a sudden get big bumps to put it more in line with other schools. If we were going to spend a few million more in coaches, we'd need new coaches. Shafer makes what he does because it is commensurate with his experience and success. If we were going to spend $3m on a head coach or $1m on a coordinator, it be with different coordinators and HC.

Everyone talking about more budget for coaches salaries need to keep in kind this staff is being paid what they can command on the market, for the last part. Thereof hit be some bumps as a normal raise or a bigger bump to a coach who has another school after them, but don't expect thus staff to all of a sudden get big bumps to put it more in line with other schools. If we were going to spend a few million more in coaches, we'd need new coaches. Shafer makes what he does because it is commensurate with his experience and success. If we were going to spend $3m on a head coach or $1m on a coordinator, it be with different coordinators and HC.
and because of this, we will not see a new OC.

nobody worth their salt, is going to come here as OC when it will be his job to save the HC's one.

why bother? just ask for the HC's job and tell coyle you will call the plays.

i know, there goes Kaiser being all negative and what-not.

ifs, buts, candys and nuts.

rainbows and unicorns.

screw resumes, lets just hope and think positive because we really dont know how anything will play out anywho...

Right, we're not going to spend $1M on an OC just because that's where we set the budget.

But what I wonder is... once the McDonald demotion was official, did Shafer discuss with Gross that he needed an OC, and up to how much was available? Did Gross say you're better off promoting your QB coach, because you aren't spending more than $250k on this role? Or did he say you have up to $1M, look around, and if you find someone deserving, then we'll talk.

Who knows how it all went down. But the fact that it all appeared to go down during the season tells me, that there probably weren't a whole lot of discussions. Maybe I'm wrong.

and because of this, we will not see a new OC.

nobody worth their salt, is going to come here as OC when it will be his job to save the HC's one.

why bother? just ask for the HC's job and tell coyle you will call the plays.

i know, there goes Kaiser being all negative and what-not.

ifs, buts, candys and nuts.

rainbows and unicorns.

screw resumes, lets just hope and think positive because we really dont know how anything will play out anywho...

It's the Mitch Browning scenario, although he's probably not worth salt (was pretty well thought of at the time). But he just grabbed as much money as he could, found some extended stay deal at a hotel, and just did whatever he could to make us run the ball better.

You get one of those former HCs turned OC for whatever reason, trying to build it back up, they'll take the job if you pay them enough. And they have that slight hope of success leading to successor. A Jeff Jags type. Or a Doug Marrone. (had to).

It's the Mitch Browning scenario, although he's probably not worth salt (was pretty well thought of at the time). But he just grabbed as much money as he could, found some extended stay deal at a hotel, and just did whatever he could to make us run the ball better.

You get one of those former HCs turned OC for whatever reason, trying to build it back up, they'll take the job if you pay them enough. And they have that slight hope of success leading to successor. A Jeff Jags type. Or a Doug Marrone. (had to).
exactly.

and ultimately, what we need is a crazy-ass HC/OC combo whos not afraid to just go the F for it...damn the torpedos, full steam ahead...thus potentially leaving his D in a bad position.

too many of the Defensive minded HC's (or Marrone, yep...had to) are more concerned with not Fn things up than actually scoring points and veto or dont even think of 'going for it'.

Only the very elite assistants make that kind of money. Freidgen and Cubit made 500K last year. Kiffin made 680K. There's only 5 assistants who make a million or more. Lester could be making less than 300K, so figure we'd have to go up to 500K to get a decent guy.

Maybe Coyle says here's 250K, got get yourself a real OL coach.

Here's the 2014 assistant coaches salaries. Private schools don't report so take a guess where our assistants stack up and how much is made available.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

by the way, if I'm not mistaken it looks to me like the higher paid assistant are defensive guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom