New AD: Mark Coyle from Boise | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

New AD: Mark Coyle from Boise

Yep. Thought the presser was good news for the staff for those reasons.

As always, need w's.
I particularly like the comment about scheduling for success in football. It sounds like he views it as the normal state of affairs, rather than an artifact of rebuilding. Looking around the country, and especially at our conference peers, I say Right On. I doubt we would stoop in scheduling. It'll be more of a reduction to (reasonable) peer levels.

Scheduling for success includes as many home games as possible, IMO, and minimizing travel. We may have to start shelling out to get G5's in favorable 2-for-1 types of series. If that's what it takes.

javadoc said:
I particularly like the comment about scheduling for success in football. It sounds like he views it as the normal state of affairs, rather than an artifact of rebuilding. Looking around the country, and especially at our conference peers, I say Right On. I doubt we would stoop in scheduling. It'll be more of a reduction to (reasonable) peer levels. Scheduling for success includes as many home games as possible, IMO, and minimizing travel. We may have to start shelling out to get G5's in favorable 2-for-1 types of series. If that's what it takes.

Agreed. I wish scheduling in football were less far out. So you could schedule light when needed and then heavier when it looks like you're on the rise.

Agreed. I wish scheduling in football were less far out. So you could schedule light when needed and then heavier when it looks like you're on the rise.
It's only going to matter for the playoff, and note that Coyle didn't say that we are going to win national championships. He said special bowls, and contending for ACC championships. Sounds good to me. It is within our control to finish top-3 in the ACC, and maybe to get into the championship game if lightning strikes. It's too bad we're in the FSU division, because we could absolutely expect to get into the championship game coming from the other half. Finishing as one of the top 3 teams in the ACC and getting into a Peach Bowl-level game is a good, realistic goal.

Andrea Adelson ‏@aadelsonESPN 5h5 hours ago
Having following Boise State the last five years, I am fairly confident Syracuse is getting exactly what it needs in an AD with Mark Coyle.

Andrea Adelson ‏@aadelsonESPN 11m11 minutes ago
Good convo w/new Cuse AD Mark Coyle. Asked how he gets Cuse competitive in the Atlantic: "We roll up our sleeves + start working."

Andrea Adelson ‏@aadelsonESPN 10m10 minutes ago
Coyle also mentioned his strong relationships w/Chris Petersen and Bryan Harsin at Boise. Wants to build that w/Scott Shafer.

Andrea Adelson ‏@aadelsonESPN 5h5 hours ago
Having following Boise State the last five years, I am fairly confident Syracuse is getting exactly what it needs in an AD with Mark Coyle.

Andrea Adelson ‏@aadelsonESPN 11m11 minutes ago
Good convo w/new Cuse AD Mark Coyle. Asked how he gets Cuse competitive in the Atlantic: "We roll up our sleeves + start working."

Andrea Adelson ‏@aadelsonESPN 10m10 minutes ago
Coyle also mentioned his strong relationships w/Chris Petersen and Bryan Harsin at Boise. Wants to build that w/Scott Shafer.
Sounds like the new AD has impressed her. Maybe we'll get more positive ink on the ESPN website.

when gross was introduced you got the vibe of a snake oil salesman- from the start he appeared some what slimy to me-

this guy from first impressions gives off the " lets get a beer and wings" vibe

i think gross enjoyed sports for the showmanship more than the heart of the game

i think this guy enjoys the game

He gave the impression of a real professional - a guy who knows what he's doing.

He gave the impression of a real professional - a guy who knows what he's doing.

yeah, understated, confident, professional (similar style to Syverud), with just enough public emphasis on winning and, thankfully, the importance of recruiting.

CuseLegacy said:
Sam Blum ‏@SamBlum3 5m5 minutes ago Boeheim on Shafer: “Everyone out here thinks that they should win this year or we need a new football coach..." Sam Blum ‏@SamBlum3 5m5 minutes ago “...And that's the most ridiculous way to think that I've ever heard in my life."

What about the year after that? I mean at some point we'll need to be winning right?

I would guess that Boeheim thinks the people who think we should play more M2M without any good reasoning as to why are slightly more ridiculous thinkers. Just slightly.

The program needs a strong year to boost recruiting. It can't survive many more 3 and 4 win seasons.

I'm reserving judgment, but recruiting the last few weeks hasn't made me feel upbeat.

What about the year after that? I mean at some point we'll need to be winning right?

I would guess that Boeheim thinks the people who think we should play more M2M without any good reasoning as to why are slightly more ridiculous thinkers. Just slightly.

And both groups are slightly below those who think Gerry McNamara is overrated on the "most ridiculous" scale. Or maybe that was the "most bulls---" scale. Difficult to keep track.

i think it's pretty clear that Boeheim is saying a football coach needs more than 3 years.

Yep. I've said it before - I think the fan base (me included) looks back and says "we've had a decade of mediocre to poor football, so it's time for a new coach" - when in reality Shafer has had 2 years. One where he exceeded expectations and another where the bottom dropped out. If stop attributing a decade or more of struggle to Shafer and just see what he's done so far and where it's headed - it's an easy call. He needs more time, as JAB points out.

Side note: You know Shafer appreciates JAB's comments.

Yep. I've said it before - I think the fan base (me included) looks back and says "we've had a decade of mediocre to poor football, so it's time for a new coach" - when in reality Shafer has had 2 years. One where he exceeded expectations and another where the bottom dropped out. If stop attributing a decade or more of struggle to Shafer and just see what he's done so far and where it's headed - it's an easy call. He needs more time, as JAB points out.

Side note: You know Shafer appreciates JAB's comments.
Coyle stated that Football is a Battleship and his weakness is a lack of patience.

Shot-across-the-bow.jpg

Coyle also said he needs to give the football program the support to win as well as evaluating the little things. I think shafer will have the ‘little’ things covered and to me ‘support’ means more funding (salaries, support staff, facilities)

Everyone bagging on the Lester promotion without a search has no idea what Gross offered for money.

"If" Shafer checks off most of Coyle’s boxes then more funding for assistants could be in order first (like a legit OL coach and a big boy OC/QB coach) before a new Head Coach.

Last edited:
Coyle also said he needs to give the football program the support to win as well as evaluating the little things. I think shafer will have the ‘little’ things covered and to me ‘support’ means more funding.

Everyone bagging on the Lester promotion without a search has no idea what Gross offered for money.

If Shafer ‘is’ checks off most of Coyle’s boxes then more funding for assistants could be in order first (like a legit OL coach and a big boy OC/QB coach) before a new Head Coach.
could we get a legit special teams coach too? Please?

Who do you want to get rid of?

NCAA rules only allow you to have 9 assistant coaches.

exactly.

specials have been fine under shafer. not the complete disaster they once were. gave up a couple of scores last year BC and Duke come to mind but coverage in my opinion is more about the player than the coaching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom