New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed] | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed]

Just wait :)
8FE4A99B-985A-4BC3-89EE-ED8B67F59BC7.gif

I was wondering what would be announced first-Straughn to Cuse or Aaron Rodgers to the Jets. Now I have my answer.
Rogers has a lot more press he can get out of this situation. Plus the draft and the June 1st cap issues. Yuck.
I could see a deal being struck and the Jets drafting a guy for the Packers with their pick(s). The signing and bonuses would make it tough.

You are mixing up a symptom for a disease.

Straughn wasn't hired because he has a connect to Moore.

He was hired because his abilities and relationships create a good recruiter, including having a relationship with Moore.

Reminder when his name got mentioned... and it was shortly after that it was added it would be a "high profile Big East transfer..."

And a little while ago today...

Last edited:
On paper, WOWZA... a young go-getter with real connections and experience... What a hire!

COACHING RESUME
Straughn started his coaching career at his alma mater, Eleanor Roosevelt High School (Greenbelt, Md.), as an assistant coach. From 2013-16, he helped guide the Mustangs to the 2013 and 2016 Maryland 4A state championships and a trio of Price George County titles (2013, 2015 and 2016). Eleanor Roosevelt held a record of 123-25 during Straughn's time with the program.

Straughn spent 2013-18 coaching on the AAU circuit. He an assistant for Team Takeover and was promoted to associate head coach in 2016. The New Carrolton, Md., native helped guide the club to the 2017 Jordan Brand 8 Invitational crown, the 2017 Peach Jam finals and the 2018 Peach Jam title.

He earned his first collegiate assistant coaching job at Loyola Maryland (2018-19), and the Greyhounds increased their win total from the previous season. Straughn moved on to Saint Joseph's (2019-22). In Straughn's time with the Hawks, he was responsible for managing the offense, on-court coaching and player development, opponent scouting, and serving as the recruiting coordinator.

This past season, Straughn was an assistant on Chris Caputo's staff at George Washington. The Colonials posted the program's most season wins (16) and Atlantic 10 Conference victories (10) since 2016-17. George Washington led the Atlantic 10 in scoring offense (76.3 ppg.).

PLAYER DEVELOPMENT
While coaching Team Takeover, Straughn helped develop five players who earned McDonald All-America honors and 70 Division I performers.

In the college ranks, he worked closely with eight student-athletes who earned all-conference recognition, including two first-team all-league selections and four all-rookie team honorees. Straughn mentored a conference scoring champion at all three schools –- Andrew Kostecka won the Patriot League scoring crown at Loyola Maryland, Ryan Daly captured the Atlantic 10 title at Saint Joseph's and James Bishop finished first among Atlantic 10 performers in points-per-game at George Washington.

PLAYING CAREER AT HOOD COLLEGE
Straughn spent his collegiate career at Hood College (2008-12), a Division III program in Frederick, Md. A four-year starter at guard for the Blazers, Straughn served as a captain for three seasons. In his four years he started 78 games while appearing in 94 total contests. At the conclusion of his collegiate career, he was ranked among Hood's Top 10 in scoring and was second in assists and steals.

Straughn graduated from Hood College in 2012 with a bachelor's degree in business management and a minor in accounting and finance.

On paper, WOWZA... a young go-getter with real connections and experience!

COACHING RESUME
Straughn started his coaching career at his alma mater, Eleanor Roosevelt High School (Greenbelt, Md.), as an assistant coach. From 2013-16, he helped guide the Mustangs to the 2013 and 2016 Maryland 4A state championships and a trio of Price George County titles (2013, 2015 and 2016). Eleanor Roosevelt held a record of 123-25 during Straughn's time with the program.

Straughn spent 2013-18 coaching on the AAU circuit. He an assistant for Team Takeover and was promoted to associate head coach in 2016. The New Carrolton, Md., native helped guide the club to the 2017 Jordan Brand 8 Invitational crown, the 2017 Peach Jam finals and the 2018 Peach Jam title.

He earned his first collegiate assistant coaching job at Loyola Maryland (2018-19), and the Greyhounds increased their win total from the previous season. Straughn moved on to Saint Joseph's (2019-22). In Straughn's time with the Hawks, he was responsible for managing the offense, on-court coaching and player development, opponent scouting, and serving as the recruiting coordinator.

This past season, Straughn was an assistant on Chris Caputo's staff at George Washington. The Colonials posted the program's most season wins (16) and Atlantic 10 Conference victories (10) since 2016-17. George Washington led the Atlantic 10 in scoring offense (76.3 ppg.).

PLAYER DEVELOPMENT
While coaching Team Takeover, Straughn helped develop five players who earned McDonald All-America honors and 70 Division I performers.

In the college ranks, he worked closely with eight student-athletes who earned all-conference recognition, including two first-team all-league selections and four all-rookie team honorees. Straughn mentored a conference scoring champion at all three schools –- Andrew Kostecka won the Patriot League scoring crown at Loyola Maryland, Ryan Daly captured the Atlantic 10 title at Saint Joseph's and James Bishop finished first among Atlantic 10 performers in points-per-game at George Washington.

PLAYING CAREER AT HOOD COLLEGE
Straughn spent his collegiate career at Hood College (2008-12), a Division III program in Frederick, Md. A four-year starter at guard for the Blazers, Straughn served as a captain for three seasons. In his four years he started 78 games while appearing in 94 total contests. At the conclusion of his collegiate career, he was ranked among Hood's Top 10 in scoring and was second in assists and steals.

Straughn graduated from Hood College in 2012 with a bachelor's degree in business management and a minor in accounting and finance.

I said this upthread but he gives me strong Troy Weaver vibes. I’m so pumped for this hire and now somewhat relived that it’s officially official.

Great news! Now can somebody point me to the mens bball recruiting board, I cant seem to find it.

Seems to be a very good hire, which is the most important thing; but if everything else was equal, I'd have preferred a 6'8" guy. Hopefully, our smurfs can recruit some quality bigs now that we are a MTM team.
Boeheim? Is that you??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom