New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed] | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed]

Straughn, a native of New Carrollton, Md., spent the last three seasons as an assistant for Billy Lange at Saint Joseph's. He was primarily responsible for the team's offensive philosophy, profile and concepts, as well as serving as the Hawks' Recruiting Coordinator. In that role, he was tasked with roster structuring and recruiting oversight.

Straughn also was engaged in on-court player development, opponent scouting and the creation of resources for the program's education on mental health and wellness.
I know I'm no expert on coaching staff responsibilities but this list of what he did looks to me what associate head coaches would do, ie GMac.

Is that really true about the career path though? I would think there would be a lot of people in a grad assistant to assistant pathway like McNamara. Jon Scheyer, Hubert Davis and Greg Paulus seem to have gone this route as well.
I would argue it’s a little bit different. Only because they are already in the college ranks and getting mentored. You get that college experience. At the end of the day I just want to get better players. He helps us do that I have no issues.

Big time transfer u say?
Interested Ken Jeong GIF

His numbers/stats look good but I never see him on any mock draft boards. I did read somewhere that he is the type of player who benefits greatly from staying in school and collecting a high NIL as he is a top flight college player and borderline NBA player.
Better NIL opportunity being top dog at a school like Michigan

That's all well and good, but if we don't have a good big man coach, good big men won't come here, all else being equal.
Any top level prospect won’t come here if we don’t have deeply connected, top level, relentless recruiters. Doesn’t matter if we have a (tall) big man coach or not. Grif is completely capable of coaching big men.

Just a swag but Josh Oduro seems like a candidate.

Grad transfer that slides in at the four, moved to five if Jesse leaves

That tweet was hashtagged #TTO….so I’m going to assume it’s someone who came through that program. Not necessarily a GW player.
It's fun to speculate again.

Erik Reynolds from St. Joe's averaged 20 a game. DMV kid. Recruited by Straughn to SJU. If we need a 3rd guard who can score and is athletic, he's a good fit. Not a knock-down shooter but good enough.

He will have 2 years left, so you could sell him 20-25 mpg this year and a starting role next year possibly.

I would rather a forward who can come in and be a 30 mpg guy opposite Benny Williams.

Just a swag but Josh Oduro seems like a candidate.

Grad transfer that slides in at the four, moved to five if Jesse leaves
I like that but I also think the more pressing need is a SF that can score. But if Jesse leaves, then heck yeah to this kid.

There are so many kids in the portal already that are 6’9”+, with experience and great numbers. Plenty of options. If Jesse returns, I’d love to try getting a more traditional transfer, perhaps a kid willing to take a slight step back in PT for a season and then take over the paint for us. Or a PF/C type.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom