New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed] | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed]

Word.

Back to Brenden.

Why the delay in announcing this hire? Guessing it is probably the vetting process for all new hires.

Assuming all goes well there, maybe there will be an announcement Monday.

Regarding the high profile player that he is said to be bringing with him….the clues are

1) former TTO player
2) guard
3) comes from an outstanding program

Thinking the only players that meet these criteria are Moore and Roach. Still thinking Roach because I think he fits a bit better and I can find more links between Jeremy and Brenden than between Justin and Brendan.

Roach is a terrific defender and his in ball pressure wound really help us transition to a man to man defense. Would be great in a press too.
My worry is delays like this is that once word got out at the likely hire and that we was brinjng players immediately, he started getting attention from others who might still be playing and was asked to hold out a bit. But hopefully just vetting/finalizing.

My worry is delays like this is that once word got out at the likely hire and that we was brinjng players immediately, he started getting attention from others who might still be playing and was asked to hold out a bit. But hopefully just vetting/finalizing.
If that were to happen; we don’t want him as his word would be worthless which I don’t believe is the case here.

Let's hope.

Guy looks like EXACTLY the hire we need with massive recruiting connections.

I think he had a turnaround almost instantly when he found out his new coach was Red Autry... The last few games were night and day from the previous 28.

In those four games, he was 9 of 13 shooting threes. He shot 13 of his seasons 48 threes in those four games. Something changed that he suddenly became a gunner from 3. He also pulled down three of his best five rebounding totals. This includes, btw, the game where he only played 8 minutes against Wake.

Whatever it was, he looked like a different player.

I know we've seen this before, with Benny Williams specifically... But we've also seen guys have dramatic jumps in performance that permanently improve their game. That season ending stretch is less likely to be a fluke than his one good game against Duke the year before.
I definitely agree that Benny looked like an entirely different player over the last four games but did he know at the time Red was taking over as coach? Not sure I have seen where he had that insight into the coaching change but it is possible it was known behind the curtain.

It'd fly for next year but we'd still take a lot of lumps getting hammered on the inside and on the boards.
there’s a thing called boxing out in m2m. Also being quicker to loose balls. Rewatch Purdue vs FD.

I definitely agree that Benny looked like an entirely different player over the last four games but did he know at the time Red was taking over as coach? Not sure I have seen where he had that insight into the coaching change but it is possible it was known behind the curtain.
I’m guessing he quit the day of the Virginia game when he lost his starting spot, and Red reeled him back in by telling him he would be the coach next year.

Could it be they aren’t officially announcing him as assistant because Red and the staff are on the road recruiting? When they get back maybe they announce Monday morning. Just a thought

Could it be they aren’t officially announcing him as assistant because Red and the staff are on the road recruiting? When they get back maybe they announce Monday morning. Just a thought
I’m sure they have to do a background check. I assume he has to interview with Wildhack and a contract has to be written and accepted by all.

That’s a stretch
While I accede to your credentials as an insider bees, I think "that's a stretch" is incorrect.

Moore knew Red was next man up and he committed two days before Williams stormed off for the second Virginia game... If Red saw no other way to keep him in Syracuse but to let Benny in on the secret, he absolutely had to pull that trigger, imo.

Looks like a pretty straight line deduction to me, not some internet looney conspiracy theory.

Still could be wrong.

Im sure that Benny wasn't told but that wide lines were drawn

While I accede to your credentials as an insider bees, I think "that's a stretch" is incorrect.

Moore knew Red was next man up and he committed two days before Williams stormed off for the second Virginia game... If Red saw no other way to keep him in Syracuse but to let Benny in on the secret, he absolutely had to pull that trigger, imo.

Looks like a pretty straight line deduction to me, not some internet looney conspiracy theory.

Still could be wrong.

Moore said if there was a change. I really really doubt Red told Williams. One, it would have gotten out that JB was definitely out and Red was in. Two the players said JB told them in the locker room after the last game.

Moore said if there was a change. I really really doubt Red told Williams. One, it would have gotten out that JB was definitely out and Red was in. Two the players said JB told them in the locker room after the last game.

Could you imagine the crap show if Red told Williams and Williams blabbed to other players or peeps and it got leaked??

Red might not be HC right now.

No way he takes that chance. Ludicrous premise.

Still could be wrong.
It did not go down that way. This is not the first time an assistant coach had to go and bring back a player. I believe Hop was cited for this in our last hit by the NCAA.

You’re probably right. It’s concerning he has that in him, though. I prefer fight over flight.
Agreed, but why fight if when you felt like you have in the past it goes unnoticed or isn’t fostered on how to make the most of your fight. JB knows what he wanted, some just don’t respond to how he inspires.

We all would. And none of us know who it is. Or even if there is someone. And should he bring in a guard, there is nothing stopping us from still going after a forward.

BIG BIG STRONG STRAUGHN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom